More transfer rumours

midds

24 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

You'd struggle to get someone more proven for that cash mind.

Yeah what I meant was that I’d target someone more proven and then obviously be willing to pay more than what we are for Etikite.

Honestly if they don't think Ekitike can come in as direct competition/rotation for Wilson and ASM then I'm not sure he should be a priority. I know he's young and raw but for the price he's gotta be playing ahead of Wood.

46 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

You'd struggle to get someone more proven for that cash mind.

This. Strikers are notoriously expensive, and this lad does look like a future star. It's worth hanging in there for now, it's early days. If we do get the feeling he's pissing us about we can move on to the next one. There will always be options, we have barely got into summer yet.

12 minutes ago, sugoinufc said:

Højbjerg is a ver good player with the right mindset. Played every minute in four nation league games and was among if not best in all games.

The Levy levy

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

This. Strikers are notoriously expensive, and this lad does look like a future star. It's worth hanging in there for now, it's early days. If we do get the feeling he's pissing us about we can move on to the next one. There will always be options, we have barely got into summer yet.

But my main concern is that we aren’t yet in a position to be relying on someone so unproven. As long as it is him and someone else then that’s fine but I’m not sure we would spend big on this kid and then spend big again for someone else.

46 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I hate the phrase, but we have to trust the process.

Ashworth and Co aren't mugs and they'll know exactly where they stand with these deals. I'm sure if deadlines, etc are necessary, they'll be made.

This. We've only had one transfer window and, even taking into account the fact it wasn't guaranteed to work, they showed they're not to be toyed with and know their stuff.

I'm not sure how many times people need to have the reasoning for purchasing Wood and the price tag explained to them for it to sink in but that single transfer shows that they will do what's needed when needed. 

We needed a striker, ready to go, that was better than Gayle. We could get him, no fuss, paying the release clause. We did then went looking for better again. 

The purchase of Tripps then Bruno show they can get top players. Mind, I'd never heard of Bruno. 

Not pissing about and buying BDB as well.

As I say, it wasn't nailed on to work but it did. And that was without Dan Ash

Edited by Groundhog63
spelling ;-)

I think because we are going for some really promising players that other clubs are interested in, we might ultimately have to accept that we are not going to be able to get deals done early.

Think clubs are going to continue to press to get bigger fees from us until as late as possible, while encouraging interest from other clubs.

Ultimately, to get the best calibre of player we can, think we're going to have to wait it out, but we'll ultimately get some good deals done.

I am sure the hierarchy/ Transfer team know what they are doing

I guess we will have to pay Newcastle Tax on a few deals we really want 

I can also see us walking away from a few deals because of the same (tax)

We will have multiple options (plan a , b , c)  for all the positions we need.

Chillax ?

Edited by JonBez comesock

I’m happy that Targett was signed up quickly because starting the season with at least the settled team has to be a positive. Obviously we need to add some more quality and that will come 

Edited by andyc35i

1 hour ago, JonBez comesock said:

We should just sack off Botman, Ekitike, Diaby etc. and just sign as many highly-rated <19s as we can [emoji38]

Really though, we are doing the right thing by holding our nerve. Either the deals get done with terms we are comfortable with, or they don't and we move on to other targets and show we aren't going to be pushed around.

Of all the deals we've done, only Wood was a clear overpay. Trips, Targett & Burn all <£15m. Bruno more than justifying his price tag so far.

Trust the process™

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

But my main concern is that we aren’t yet in a position to be relying on someone so unproven. As long as it is him and someone else then that’s fine but I’m not sure we would spend big on this kid and then spend big again for someone else.

But the best strikers who are proven are choosing clubs who are already in the CL - see Darwin Nunez for example. there may be older strikers who can do the job for a couple of years, someone in their early 30's say, but we'll still have to pay the Newcastle tax even on those.

19 minutes ago, TRon said:

But the best strikers who are proven are choosing clubs who are already in the CL - see Darwin Nunez for example. there may be older strikers who can do the job for a couple of years, someone in their early 30's say, but we'll still have to pay the Newcastle tax even on those.

What's the craic with Duvan Zapata these days? We were strongly linked in January before we splashed out on Wood.