More transfer rumours

midds

26 minutes ago, Cronky said:

The back five looks in very good shape now. I think there are three positions which I'd like to see strengthened - striker, someone who could play withdrawn striker / wide player in a 4-3-3, and a more defensive central midfield player. 

I suspect that finances mean that we will only make one more big signing, and the priority seems to be the withdrawn striker / wide player. I think the Ekitike move will still go through, but failing that we may push the boat out for Diaby or Gouiri. Or maybe James's Portuguese wonderkid.

The striker situation worries me, given Wilson's injury record, but Howe seems to believe that we can still get some results with Wood, and a good replacement will cost more than we want to spend right now. Osimhen would be dreamy and would suit the team really well, but he's beyond our reach right now.

One of Howe's minor miracles last season was to get some defensive strength into a midfield that lacked any proper DM and had Shelvey in the anchor position. I think he believes he can repeat the trick so that isn't the priority. I have some faith that Longstaff may step up to the mark, or even Anderson. 

I think we'll see a much more relaxed player, in Wood, next season. I think the pressure of expectation got to him, on occasions but he'll be fine by the time he makes his first substitute appearance.

I know we really really need a right sided  forward/winger and a player that can play centrally if Wilson is injured.  Personally though, I can’t stress enough how much another high quality central midfielder would do for us. It would take us to the next level in an instant. No doubts! Allowing us to control games more and be more calm and allow us to be more effective and composed in the last third. For example, in transition, imagine someone like Fofana or Nunes in there instead of Longstaff or Shelvey. Or just in general play. Players that can carry the ball as well as pass it really well. Offering more legs in defensive transitions too. Or someone like Paqueta being able to do what Bruno does, but in a more advanced role between the opposition lines. A player with great technical quality who will either do something constructive or get fouled because of the quality he possesses. Having that quality in central midfield would draw a lot of attention and give our wide players more space and time too. I’m not even sure if we need a AMC or box to box or a more defensive minded CM. Don’t think we can go wrong either way. I think the most important factor is that X midfielder is very well rounded and has decent athletic ability. Quality of the player will make the world of difference no matter what style. I know I keep repeating myself, but I think we should look for a versatile player like Gouiri and then put the rest we have and are willing to spend on a RW and CM. Spending tons of money on a CF that’s  most likely to be benched when Wilson is fit anyway just doesn’t make sense to me. In our current situation we can’t fill every position and area in one summer window, plus there aren’t really that many top quality CF available so I think we should wait and reevaluate this CF issue later on. Getting a versatile player would give us more options out wide outside of ASM and a new RW plus the money wouldn’t just be on the bench most of the time when CW is fit. Would give massive competition for ASM and A new RW too. People say it’s not a priority but I disagree, a quality CM would elevate us to the next level while also not making us quite as dependent on Bruno. The form of our CM when Bruno was benched won’t be sustainable, we can absolutely not count on them continuing to perform like they did then. It would be extremely naive and a massive mistake. Another CM must be signed imo. I think we will, I bloody hope so. Also, not many teams play with a pure DM anymore. It depends how we set up on the whole..

Edited by Ikon

It's strange that we've been linked with so many left sided forwards, suggesting that we've at least enquired about a couple of them.

There was a thread doing the rounds on Twitter a couple of months ago, showing that ASM is more productive on the right. I wonder if we're going to give it a go.

I still think, based on absolutely nowt, that we're going to pull off an absolute shock of a transfer completely out of the blue.

Lewa/Griezmann/Neymar/Bale levels. 

Edited by Izakaya

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

The only one of those I’d genuinely be really happy about would be Lewa 

Same tbh.

Was more a reference of the level of player rather than specifically Bale/Neymar.

Still think Dybala might get linked soon. 

41 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I know we really really need a right sided  forward/winger and a player that can play centrally if Wilson is injured.  Personally though, I can’t stress enough how much another high quality central midfielder would do for us. It would take us to the next level in an instant. No doubts! Allowing us to control games more and be more calm and allow us to be more effective and composed in the last third. For example, in transition, imagine someone like Fofana or Nunes in there instead of Longstaff or Shelvey. Or just in general play. Players that can carry the ball as well as pass it really well. Offering more legs in defensive transitions too. Or someone like Paqueta being able to do what Bruno does, but in a more advanced role between the opposition lines. A player with great technical quality who will either do something constructive or get fouled because of the quality he possesses. Having that quality in central midfield would draw a lot of attention and give our wide players more space and time too. I’m not even sure if we need a AMC or box to box or a more defensive minded CM. Don’t think we can go wrong either way. I think the most important factor is that X midfielder is very well rounded and has decent athletic ability. Quality of the player will make the world of difference no matter what style. I know I keep repeating myself, but I think we should look for a versatile player like Gouiri and then put the rest we have and are willing to spend on a RW and CM. Spending tons of money on a CF that’s  most likely to be benched when Wilson is fit anyway just doesn’t make sense to me. In our current situation we can’t fill every position and area in one summer window, plus there aren’t really that many top quality CF available so I think we should wait and reevaluate this CF issue later on. Getting a versatile player would give us more options out wide outside of ASM and a new RW plus the money wouldn’t just be on the bench most of the time when CW is fit. Would give massive competition for ASM and A new RW too. People say it’s not a priority but I disagree, a quality CM would elevate us to the next level while also not making us quite as dependent on Bruno. The form of our CM when Bruno was benched won’t be sustainable, we can absolutely not count on them continuing to perform like they did then. It would be extremely naive and a massive mistake. Another CM must be signed imo. I think we will, I bloody hope so. Also, not many teams play with a pure DM anymore. It depends how we set up on the whole..

Agreed. Hope the tentative Khephren Thuram links are true; seems to fit the profile age-wise, is athletic and a very decent all-round midfielder. I really think he’ll be on a lot of top clubs’ radars in a few years and should cost less than 30m.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Probably going to be two days of fuck all happening in here, so who do people think are the strongest links / most likely signings we'll make after Botman is official? We don't talk about Hugo.

I'm struggling to pinpoint who we'll be going after next.

I don't think its a coincidence that the links have largely dried up since Ashworth arrived - Ekitike & Botman pre-date his arrival while the Pope deal seemed to come out of nowhere. I reckon we're keeping the leaks to a minimum now.

I also think we'll be working hard on trying to get players out too.

If I had to guess what our next move will be, I'd say a RW. Who? No idea. Although I like the idea of Sarr at £20-25m. Proven PL player and has a fantastic attitude by all accounts.

I like Ziyech.

Just on the fantasy/galactico level, our owners would obviously have to okay any big splurge. We keep being told about sportswashing, and from a PR perspective for them, perhaps it would be best if the headline grabber they sign is a Muslim, like Mo Salah or Benzema. Both are available on a free next year. :bluestar:

19 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

We absolutely should, but I imagine his wages would shatter our structure so we won’t ☹️

5 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Probably on wages that would break our wage structure i would have thought

He’s on £100kpw at the moment apparently.

3 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Sarr does seem the obvious one yeah, cheap and a big improvement on paper - it just seems too obvious unless we're going to go big on someone like Diaby.

I hope there's more in the Eriksen links too. 

ASM Wilson Sarr

Joelinton Eriksen Bruno

Targett Botman Schar Trippier 

Pope

We're just needing backup to Schar and Wilson after that really.

Not being critical of the post, as obviously extra bodies or cover if Miggy is sold is necessary, but, Personally I don't think it's much of a "big improvement" on Fraser or Miggy playing on the right? Sarr is probably a top championship player average premier league player, just like Fraser and Miggy are or would be.

Raphinha or Diaby, Doku, Nkunku, Gakpo.

I don't think these players are beyond us, I know Raphinha will likely join a ready qualified UCL side but I'd still join the race, show our ambition.

Guest HTT II
Just now, mighty__mag said:

The thread was playing up [emoji38]

I think Sarr is a very very good player with more potential, a 1-3 goal record almost at all his club’s and has pace to burn. He’s not a top Championship player, he’s a top 10 PL level player with the potential to improve. 

Guest HTT II
26 minutes ago, Manxst said:

He’s on £100kpw at the moment apparently.

He’s what almost 30 now? 

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

I think Sarr is a very very good player with more potential, a 1-3 goal record almost at all his club’s and has pace to burn. He’s not a top Championship player, he’s a top 10 PL level player with the potential to improve. 

I'm not convinced, plus I want us to aim higher, if I was considering any single Watford player, the only one would be Dennis.

Definitely not sold on Sarr, but I wouldn't be upset if we signed him, I just hope it's a more gourmet signing.