More transfer rumours

midds

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

So they just stay and sponge of the club with no desire to actually play football ?

They've been given that contract though haven't they, I don't blame anyone either. Only an idiot would take a pay cut if they didn't need to.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

So they just stay and sponge of the club with no desire to actually play football ?

How on earth is it sponging off the club? He was given a contract extension by the club in Jan 2021, that's the club's decision. It's not his fault he was left out of the squad. If he was picked to play, he would play.

He's had a decade and a half of playing football, I find it funny that everyone assumes all footballers must be desperate to play football above all else, even if it means taking a pay cut and moving him and his family to some shithole in the Championship :lol:

Eriksen to Man U is frustrating, so many players have bombed there in the last few years. He’s got enough quality to rise above but I still think he would have been far better off at almost any other side in the premier league

2 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

How on earth is it sponging off the club? He was given a contract extension by the club in Jan 2021, that's the club's decision. It's not his fault he was left out of the squad. If he was picked to play, he would play.

He's had a decade and a half of playing football, I find it funny that everyone assumes all footballers must be desperate to play football above all else, even if it means taking a pay cut and moving him and his family to some shithole in the Championship :lol:

Aye they can also get Injured and have their career over off one bad challenge, they have short careers can't blame them for wanting to make as much money as possible. Isn't like many of them will have many transferable skills or qualifications to go into other lines of work.

Guess it says more about the type person/player they are if they would rather not kick a ball for a couple of years or go and play football.

We are talking pay cuts but he will still be getting a load of money each week 

Guess it says more about the type person/player they are if they would rather not kick a ball for a couple of years or go and play football.

Everything's relative to the position you're in though, he won't just be thinking about himself either he will have kids to provide for and will likely be out of work mid 30s.

Just now, WillingtonMag said:

Everything's relative to the position you're in though, he won't just be thinking about himself either he will have kids to provide for and will likely be out of work mid 30s.

I’m amazed anyone at all in his position would genuinely not want to play football. He’s a got a few years left surely he would rather spend it playing.

Obviously all hypothetical because we don’t know what he is thinking  

Seen rumours of Noa Lang pop up today now too. Great numbers at Brugge last season.

Howe brought Danjuma over from Brugge and so will be familiar with looking at players from that league and team. Emmanuel Dennis also came in from Brugge last season and did well. Prices from there are far more reasonable and so perhaps this one is a fall back if Diaby doesn't work out.

Lang seems to be very highly rated and is now even a full international for the Netherlands, some questions over character but they seem to be more immaturity issues that could be managed and ironed out. Botman is his previous team mate at Ajax, and with the Dutch under 21s too, and so maybe they've spoken to him to get some inside info on Lang.

He does look like he's got some serious ability, and has just turned 23 this year too. Think he also liked a post of Botman joining us at some point. Think someone posted it on here. Maybe this one has some legs if Leverkusen don't budge on price.

I’m amazed anyone at all in his position would genuinely not want to play football. He’s a got a few years left surely he would rather spend it playing.

Obviously all hypothetical because we don’t know what he is thinking  

Im sure he would rather be playing for us or if offered the same deal elsewhere happier playing there also.

1 minute ago, xLiaaamx said:

Ah well, least it's the end of the line for Gayle, Clark and Ritchie this year. In 12 months at most time they're gone no matter what. 

Gayle's contract is until 2024 :lol:

I've seen Diaby play in person for Leverkusen; mad quick but other than that didn't stand out. Always a worry buying players who are fast from the Bundesliga as they always have space in behind to exploit which makes them look good and isn't the case anywhere near much in the PL. Albeit teams aren't going to be parking the bus against us but then Bailey didn't do much at Villa. Good age profile and everything else though and handily can play both sides but I think the figures are overblown; definitely paying extra as Leverkusen aren't as needy for cash as the proper German clubs.

25 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It says nothing about the type of person they are other than that they are sensible and financially responsible. I'd imagine he'd take a 50% pay cut in the Championship. It's such a simplistic argument to say "oh he's rich anyway, he can easily take a cut". Would you take a 50% pay cut in your job?

It says nothing about the type of person they are other than that they are sensible and financially responsible. I'd imagine he'd take a 50% pay cut in the Championship. It's such a simplistic argument to say "oh he's rich anyway, he can easily take a cut". Would you take a 50% pay cut in your job?

Quite possibly if I was financially secure anyway.

Guest HTT II

If I’m a professional footballer, I couldn’t think of nothing worse than not playing, I think money has corrupted a lot of players today where they are just happy to sit on the bench for a comfy well paid life. If any of our redundant players had anything about them, they’d move to get game time, even if it comes at a cost to their pay packet. You need a sense of purpose in your life and if you’ve trained all your life to become good enough to play football at a high level or standard, to just give all that up? 

Just now, HTT II said:

If I’m a professional footballer, I couldn’t think of nothing worse than not playing, I think money has corrupted a lot of players today where they are just happy to sit on the bench for a comfy well paid life. If any of our redundant players had anything about them, they’d move to get game time, even if it comes at a cost to their pay packet. You need a sense of purpose in your life and if you’ve trained all your life to become good enough to play football at a high level or standard, to just give all that up? 

Such a simplistic argument. It's like any job consideration. What if his wife loves the area or his kids are happy at school/about to take exams and he doesn't fancy moving them halfway across the country? What if he's worried about an injury and only being offered a 1 year deal at Stoke or Wigan? What if he just fancies an easy 1 year training and seeing out his contract, before then considering options next year. 

None of us have any ideas into his mindset and it is clearly not the case that the preferred option should always be "play as much football as possible all the time" :lol:

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

Such a simplistic argument. It's like any job consideration. What if his wife loves the area or his kids are happy at school/about to take exams and he doesn't fancy moving them halfway across the country? What if he's worried about an injury and only being offered a 1 year deal at Stoke or Wigan? What if he just fancies an easy 1 year training and seeing out his contract, before then considering options next year. 

None of us have any ideas into his mindset and it is clearly not the case that the preferred option should always be "play as much football as possible all the time" :lol:

They don’t have to move their family away, there are lots of variables I would agree, but if it was me, I’d want to play, especially towards the end of my career. I just can’t comprehend a mentality that would, after what 20 years or so of sacrifices to become a footballer, to be like ah I think I’ll sit this out. Training enough is gruelling, I’d want to play if I’m putting that level of effort in. We’ll soon see the pros from the cons…

Edited by HTT II

11 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

It’s an absolutely ridiculous argument to compare any part of football with a normal job. Of course I wouldn’t take a 50% pay cut but I’m not a multi millionaire, and nor would I still be paid a fortune if I took the pay cut.

I think there’s a lot more to it than being about whether players will ‘take a pay cut’.

I seem to remember Hayden speaking about it in that (good) lengthy interview he did with some podcast people I’d never heard of before or since.

To paraphrase him he said people think it’s just like playing Championship Manager and you can just ship a player out whenever you want, but they don’t realise that players often have young families, so any move (regardless of finances) has to be right for them too. Are they happy to move away from any family/support network? Are they happy to move their kids school etc.

Everyone was going mad at Clark not taking a loan move in January. But maybe he didn’t want to spend 5/6 days a week away from his kids (assuming he has some) just to play for a team for 5 months when there was a reasonable chance he might not sign for them anyway.

It’s an absolutely ridiculous argument to compare any part of football with a normal job. Of course I wouldn’t take a 50% pay cut but I’m not a multi millionaire, and nor would I still be paid a fortune if I took the pay cut.

So your argument is that rich people shouldn't care which job they take because even if they lose half their salary they'll still be rich and won't care? That's insane :lol: Obviously people want to earn as much as they can in the short career they have. People don't stop caring about their finances when they become rich. Football players should care more in fact when they turn 30 because it's one of the only professions where you know you will be taking the biggest pay cut of your life in a few years anyway. 

4 minutes ago, SteV said:

I think there’s a lot more to it than being about whether players will ‘take a pay cut’.

I seem to remember Hayden speaking about it in that (good) lengthy interview he did with some podcast people I’d never heard of before or since.

To paraphrase him he said people think it’s just like playing Championship Manager and you can just ship a player out whenever you want, but they don’t realise that players often have young families, so any move (regardless of finances) has to be right for them too. Are they happy to move away from any family/support network? Are they happy to move their kids school etc.

Everyone was going mad at Clark not taking a loan move in January. But maybe he didn’t want to spend 5/6 days a week away from his kids (assuming he has some) just to play for a team for 5 months when there was a reasonable chance he might not sign for them anyway.

Exactly this. But HTT seems to be saying he should be happy not to see his kids grow up 90% of the time to spend a year at Stoke in the Championship because he "can't think of anything worse than not playing".

1 minute ago, jonny1403 said:

So your argument is that rich people shouldn't care which job they take because even if they lose half their salary they'll still be rich and won't care? That's insane :lol: Obviously people want to earn as much as they can in the short career they have. People don't stop caring about their finances when they become rich. Football players should care more in fact when they turn 30 because it's one of the only professions where you know you will be taking the biggest pay cut of your life in a few years anyway. 

Exactly this. But HTT seems to be saying he should be happy not to see his kids grow up 90% of the time to spend a year at Stoke in the Championship because he "can't think of anything worse than not playing".

I didn’t say rich people shouldn’t care I was saying you comparing it with a normal job was a ridiculous argument, which it is. 

Guest HTT II

They rarely see their kids anyway due to their football career. Again, I know there are lots of variables and many valid ones, but ask yourself this, if you had dedicated 20 years or so to your profession, were already a multi millionaire, would you not want to play the sport you gave so much up for as a kid and teenager to continue even if you had to take a pay cut? 

Edited by HTT II

Just now, HTT II said:

They rarely see their kids anyway due to their football career. Again, I know there are lots of variables and many valid ones, but ask yourself this, if you had dedicated 2k years or so to your profession, we’re already a multi millionaire, would you not want to play the sport you gave so much up for as a kid and teenager to continue even if you had to take a pay cut? 

Anyone who has played any sort of football or sport would do anything they could to play for as long as possible l, especially professionals. 

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

They rarely see their kids anyway due to their football career. Again, I know there are lots of variables and many valid ones, but ask yourself this, if you had dedicated 20 years or so to your profession, were already a multi millionaire, would you not want to play the sport you gave so much up for as a kid and teenager to continue even if you had to take a pay cut? 

My point is that there are a range of factors to consider. You're completely right that playing as much football as you can is a big factor, but it doesn't automatically override others such as finances, family life, injury concerns etc.

If playing football was the be all and end all why does every PL footballer not end up playing in League Two at the age of 38? A couple do but most retire at a PL/champ team because playing away at Northampton Town with cloggers smashing you every week probably isn't as appealing as you seem to think it is.

Guest HTT II

In the end if a player doesn’t want to leave it will boil down to money, let’s for example use Gayle as an example. If say Luton offered him the same wages to join them or higher wages than we pay, he’d be off like a shot with his family in tow. 

Edited by HTT II