More transfer rumours

midds

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

No I hadn't, as I don't think he would start anyway. He's a decent squad player and a decent option to bring off the bench. I do however think either Shelvey or Longstaff are nailed on starters though (probably Shelvey) and therein lies the problem with me.

Longstaff only started 5 of the 17 matches after the January window, he's hardly nailed on.

I get the calls for a midfielder, truly, but a striker and a winger are far more pressing issues imo hence why I've been talking those up far more. Obviously I'd be delighted if we sorted all 3, but I'm not expecting it. We're as it stands a Wilson injury away from having to play Wood again and let's face it, given Wilson's injury record that's bound to happen. Arsenal and Burnley games were evidence that we can be a far different, more commanding side with Wilson in the team whereas we're more passive with Wood so that has to be sorted. If for our striker or main source of goals we're relying on Wilson and him being fit again then that is an enormous failure of squad management, given how desperately we've needed one. I have faith it'll get sorted though.

Winger is also far more important than a midfielder as ASM aside we have nothing from wide areas. Almiron last assisted a goal in the opening game of 2020-21, and has scored 5 goals since then also. Fraser is marginally better but 5 goal involvements in his last 27 appearances is still shite for where we want to go. The burden on ASM of being our only decent winger has clearly taken its toll and some fans started turning against him as a result. That needs sorting and I think that ASM will also benefit as a result; the burden on him being our main outlet is gone, sides won't double up or even triple up on him as they have done in the past so he'll be in more 1v1s which he tends to win which will result in more chances.

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Longstaff only started 5 of the 17 matches after the January window, he's hardly nailed on.

I get the calls for a midfielder, truly, but a striker and a winger are far more pressing issues imo hence why I've been talking those up far more. Obviously I'd be delighted if we sorted all 3, but I'm not expecting it. We're as it stands a Wilson injury away from having to play Wood again and let's face it, given Wilson's injury record that's bound to happen. Arsenal and Burnley games were evidence that we can be a far different, more commanding side with Wilson in the team whereas we're more passive with Wood so that has to be sorted. If for our striker or main source of goals we're relying on Wilson and him being fit again then that is an enormous failure of squad management, given how desperately we've needed one. I have faith it'll get sorted though.

Winger is also far more important than a midfielder as ASM aside we have nothing from wide areas. Almiron last assisted a goal in the opening game of 2020-21, and has scored 5 goals since then also. Fraser is marginally better but 5 goal involvements in his last 27 appearances is still shite for where we want to go. The burden on ASM of being our only decent winger has clearly taken its toll and some fans started turning against him as a result. That needs sorting and I think that ASM will also benefit as a result; the burden on him being our main outlet is gone, sides won't double up or even triple up on him as they have done in the past so he'll be in more 1v1s which he tends to win which will result in more chances.

Doesn't matter who the midfield was it struggled to get 40% in the majority of games. Personally to me either Shelvey or Longstaff would be getting sold. We need the three (all are a MUST in my opinion) that's what I'm saying to take the next step. I think we will get all three, but will have to see how the rest of the window plays out. 

Christ man, will you shut up about 40%. That figure is completely irrelevant to our performances going forward because we will have Wilson instead of Wood. Why do you refuse to acknowledge the possession stats in our last two games, with Wilson up top.

16 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Christ man, will you shut up about 40%. That figure is completely irrelevant to our performances going forward because we will have Wilson instead of Wood. Why do you refuse to acknowledge the possession stats in our last two games, with Wilson up top.

When Wilson was playing up to Man United the possession was the same. If you think a team can sustain moving forward on 40% football then you're totally clueless. Fortunately I think the Howe and the owners realise that. 

Edited by et tu brute

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

When Wilson was playing up to Man United the possession was the same. If you think a team can sustain moving forward on 40% football then you're totally clueless. Fortunately I think the Howe and the owners realise that. 

When we didn't have Bruno. 

4 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

EH said the waybee played was not our long term plan, it was all about survival. The arsenal game was much more how we intend to okay going forward. 

Agreed, but you need the players to allow you to do that, which is the point I was making. Arsenal was a fabulous performance, but the next game against Burnley wasn't. 

Edited by et tu brute

6 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

The possession was the same for most of the time with Bruno also. The Arsenal game was a fabulous performance, the Burnley one wasn't. 

What was our possession when we had both Bruno and Wilson? Christ.

18 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

What was our possession when we had both Bruno and Wilson? Christ.

We got 51% against Arsenal great, and 48% against Burnley who averaged 40% possession themselves last season, so not a great barometer when you consider both teams can't get 40% in a game.  

Edited by et tu brute

Just now, et tu brute said:

We got 51% against Arsenal great, and 48% against Burnley who averaged 40% possession themselves last season, so not a great barometer when you consider neither team can get 40% in a game.  

It's anything but "struggling to et 40%" though, which is your argument. i agree with the point but your argument is shite.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

It's anything but "struggling to et 40%" though, which is your argument. i agree with the point but your argument is shite.

:tino:

That's all that comes to mind when I read your posts. Anyway leave it here as it's obvious it's starting to nark people (rightly so). 

Linked with Ake again. Like London busses these LCB's. 

Can Ake play RCB? Lol. 

Think we are fine until January or next summer with Botman, Burn, Schar, Lascelles and Fernandez. Think we will get another young CB that can play RCB (Maybe Badiashile, down the line)

11 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Linked with Ake again. Like London busses these LCB's. 

Can Ake play RCB? Lol. 

Think we are fine until January or next summer with Botman, Burn, Schar, Lascelles and Fernandez. Think we will get another young CB that can play RCB (Maybe Badiashile, down the line)

I'd be gobsmacked if we get any more defenders in, when we are desperate for players further up the field. More clickbait me thinks.

Edited by et tu brute

37 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I'd be gobsmacked if we get any more defenders in, when we are desperate for players further up the field. More clickbait me thinks.

Yep. If we get the striker and winger we want, then a CM.. and shift the fringe players I could see us looking at a loan/purchase if something decent pops up. Have to be looking for someone young I think. So next summer most likely. 

7 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Although midfield is an area we still need to strengthen, I suspect our manager will assess them during the first half of the season and then maybe dip into the market in January.

After all, much of our squad never really got into any sort of form last season until January, such was the poor level of pre season and general fitness they had.

That and we’ve still got a bloated squad and 9 people whose contract runs out next year.

i suspect it’s probably jan and next summer when things truly start to happen.

8 hours ago, junkhead said:

If we have a chance to get Diaby we will pay what it takes no problem. I doubt he's genuinely interested to come here though. PSG and Bayern will match our offer the second we bid. You never know though, might fancy the premier league.. he plays as if he's a fan of Ben Arfa :)

These are his quotes from last month:

“Paris is my training club, the club that taught me everything. I do not rule out a return. If the PSG is brought to contact me, I will think about it as for any other club. Yes inevitably the upcoming World Cup will be a factor for the transfer window. It will be a difficult choice but for the moment I am focused on the France team and I will settle down afterwards with my family and my agents. “

“It's true that in my thinking I would like to join a club that plays the Champions League and the big games. I'm going to think about it but I'm focused on the France team and we'll see later. “

Like how you’re the only person direct quotes in from the player and everyone chooses to ignore your post.

I’ve read countless times he wants champions league football, also read quotes from him saying this year is all about France (the chronicle also reported that and they always put a positive spin on Newcastle stories).

Just shows how far this club has come in a few short month.i don't want Lindgard...gummy bear 8m pay off and still slagging the toon total disgrace of a man.

At least the money obsessed fat dinosaur Ashley wanted what was best for his bank account happy days at the toon.

6 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Agreed, but you need the players to allow you to do that, which is the point I was making. Arsenal was a fabulous performance, but the next game against Burnley wasn't. 

We went 2 up against a team fighting for survival. Same with Brighton when people were saying we got battered, completely removing the context of the game.

22 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

We went 2 up against a team fighting for survival. Same with Brighton when people were saying we got battered, completely removing the context of the game.

But we’d rather get beat 4 - 3 remember and be exciting, game plans are for wimps.

8 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

While I fully agree with you, I think the way they are going is identifying positions methodically.. the midfield currently is a known quantity and they can do better.

You stick someone like Diaby up in the wide right forward position and suddenly all sorts of space starts opening up in midfield.

We didn’t even have Wilson for basically most of that good run but when he did come back we looked sharp up front.

Wide right is the main problem position, everywhere else we’re not too bad for the moment.

I think this is definitely key, there’d be loads more space for the current midfielders to run into with a proper RW opposite ASM on the other side and with Wilson up front.