More transfer rumours

midds

52 minutes ago, Stifler said:

If it is between us and Arsenal then to be honest you only go to Arsenal if you are more bothers about looking good but not actually being good, same with Man Utd.

With us, we have a long term plan in place, we are building a team to go somewhere.

As much as the Jesus signing for them was brilliant, I don’t feel like there is a plan at Arsenal and they are just buying to fill holes and tried to get the biggest name they could afford/attract to fill the hole upfront, and look like they are doing something.

I think long term, Arsenal and Man Utd are on the decline. I’m not saying we’ll win something or the title, but in 3-5 years time you’ll probably be looking at all 3 clubs and saying we are likely to challenge before they do.

This is such a weird take for me. It' the same as the  Botman and Milan story, except Arsenal is actually filled with young and exciting players. If there's a time to join Arsenal since Wenger it's now. They haven't been in this good of a place in over a decade, with a team doing well, only finishing two points  out of CL football despite having a very young team. Our transfer dealings this summer doesnt really suggest, let's go challenge for the CL in the near future (maybe that changes in the next month or so...) In addition their club structure is 10 times more appealing than ours is, and for most foreigners I'd imagine London is more appealing than Newcastle as well. 

Edited by Flip

11 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Would people be happy if we got Paqueta and either a RW or Striker, but missed out on one of them ?

I'd be happy with Paqueta and a ST. I think we can cope with the current RW we have and perhaps Willock there also. But we cannot cope with just Wilson and Wood.

2 minutes ago, Jimburst said:

Have there actually been any links between us and Paqueta? Especially recently?

Not that I know of, only that he’s Bruno’s mate. I’m not convinced that we’re even looking for someone of that type. 

Not that he isn’t class of course. 

5 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I'd be happy with Paqueta and a ST. I think we can cope with the current RW we have and perhaps Willock there also. But we cannot cope with just Wilson and Wood.

I was thinking maybe Paqueta and someone like Dennis who can play both positions 

11 minutes ago, Flip said:

This is such a weird take for me. It' the same as the  Botman and Milan story, except Arsenal is actualy filled with young and exciting players. If there's a time to join Arsenal since Wenger it's now. They haven't been in this good of a place in over a decade, with a team doing well, only finishing two points  out of CL football despite having a very young team. Our transfer dealings this summer doesnt really suggest, let's go challenge for the CL in the near future (maybe that changes in the next month or so...) In addition their club structure is 10 times more appealing than ours is, and for most foreigners I'd imagine London is more appealing than Newcastle as well. 

You mean where Botnan came here, and it turned out to have never really been much of a contest? :lol:

Arsenal will be a bigger draw for young players than Milan like. 

7 minutes ago, Jimburst said:

Have there actually been any links between us and Paqueta? Especially recently?

Chris Waugh has said a couple of times that we briefly discussed him with Lyon in January, but nothing materialised. Nothing recent though, it's mostly just wishful thinking.

9 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Nah a right winger is an absolute must. Almiron, Fraser and Murphy managed a combined 9 goals and assists between the 3 of them last season. Just not good enough 

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

French press reported he turned us down in January 

Because of our position. We aren't in that position now.

If we bid again we stand a very good chance of getting him this time which isn't to say we will get him, just that now we can go toe to toe with Arsenal when bidding for players.

Just now, madras said:

Because of our position. We aren't in that position now.

If we bid again we stand a very good chance of getting him this time which isn't to say we will get him, just that now we can go toe to toe with Arsenal when bidding for players.

No I’m not saying he won’t come, I was responding to people asking if we had actually been linked.

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Nah a right winger is an absolute must. Almiron, Fraser and Murphy managed a combined 9 goals and assists between the 3 of them last season. Just not good enough 

How many assists might they have had if Wilson played instead of Wood ? 

Pet hate that so much value is given to those stats. They are a tool but shouldn't be used in isolation.

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

If it is between us and Arsenal then to be honest you only go to Arsenal if you are more bothers about looking good but not actually being good, same with Man Utd.

With us, we have a long term plan in place, we are building a team to go somewhere.

As much as the Jesus signing for them was brilliant, I don’t feel like there is a plan at Arsenal and they are just buying to fill holes and tried to get the biggest name they could afford/attract to fill the hole upfront, and look like they are doing something.

I think long term, Arsenal and Man Utd are on the decline. I’m not saying we’ll win something or the title, but in 3-5 years time you’ll probably be looking at all 3 clubs and saying we are likely to challenge before they do.

Don't  Arsenal have the youngest squad in the league?  Not sure how they decline.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

How many assists might they have had if Wilson played instead of Wood ? 

Pet hate that so much value is given to those stats. They are a tool but shouldn't be used in isolation.

Fair point but regardless of stats I think we all know they aren’t good enough and it just ends up with most attacks going to ASM down the left. This is why by all accounts a RW is a priority for Howe and co. 

people don’t want to accept that another midfielder is below a winger and striker in the list of priorities. Like it not Howe seems to really like Shelvey and sees something in longstaff & Willock

Edited by gdm

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Fair point but regardless of stats I think we all know they aren’t good enough and it just ends up with most attacks going to ASM down the left. This is why by all accounts a RW is a priority for Howe and co

Definitely, right now the two positions that need upgrading are the two right sided positions if we play 433, Pacqueta imo can play one of those, we also have the option of a better 4231 with him, even a 451 if you will.