More transfer rumours

midds

15 minutes ago, snakzz said:

Silent this week for sure :/

Kinda sad but hopefully its just because we are so much better now to keep things "secret".

The ship has certainly tightened since Ashworth came in. But that being said I do think we will be quiet for another week or two. Asses the squad we currently have, and see what develops the longer the window progresses. For example, if no one else comes in for Diaby in the coming couple weeks, & Leverkusen are more open to selling than they're currently letting on, £40m could suddenly seem much more reasonable to them a few weeks down the line than it does now. 

29 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I'm just looking on whoscored and it suggests he's played mostly as a 10. A few times upfront. Then a few in central midfield. And a few on the right.

That doesn't strike me as someone who will come to the PL and play in a midfield 3 for a team who don't have the ball most of the time (currently).

A round circle for a round hole feels like having him at 10 but that's not how we play.

He looks a talent. If he could come and play RCM I would love it. He's clearly immensely taelnted.

We don't have the ball most of the time because too many of our players aren't comfortable with it or have a poor touch. The more better quality footballers we can get into the side from back to front, the retention of the ball should improve.

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

The ship has certainly tightened since Ashworth came in. But that being said I do think we will be quiet for another week or two. Asses the squad we currently have, and see what develops the longer the window progresses. For example, if no one else comes in for Diaby in the coming couple weeks, & Leverkusen are more open to selling than they're currently letting on, £40m could suddenly seem much more reasonable to them a few weeks down the line than it does now. 

Really don’t think the current squad needs assessing, everyone knows where we need to strengthen.

Forgive my blind faith in scouting and current management, but i'm pretty sure they'll go after players that they feel fill a need they've identified and would only sign a player comfortable with playing in those areas/systems so idrgaf about whoscored.com reports or heatmaps.

1 minute ago, thomas said:

Forgive my blind faith in scouting and current management, but i'm pretty sure they'll go after players that they feel fill a need they've identified and would only sign a player comfortable with playing in those areas/systems so idrgaf about whoscored.com reports or heatmaps.

Good point.

Shut down the forum. 

Just now, Kanji said:

assume its all quiet because the main negotiator on deals right now is probably Ashworth and not Mehrdad/Amanda/Jamie 

Are you saying them 3 are gobshites 😵

2 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Good point.

Shut down the forum. 

Not what I said at all. The back and forth over "he played here but this website said he only plays there" etc is pointless. He'd be signed with a position(s) in mind and I'm sure in talks with Howe that will come up and he'll either agree or not and all the whoscored printouts won't change that.

I would rather we have descended into "dewlewded Jawdee" discourse than the absolute shite we were served up under Ashley. We are all engaged and posting nonsense in here because we're excited about this club once again. :) 

1 hour ago, thomas said:

Not what I said at all. The back and forth over "he played here but this website said he only plays there" etc is pointless. He'd be signed with a position(s) in mind and I'm sure in talks with Howe that will come up and he'll either agree or not and all the whoscored printouts won't change that.

Not really pointless though is it? If the club want a winger for example, they're hardly going to go for players who rarely play there.

Still not convinced there is much in the chatter but getting Asensio might not rule out Diaby/CHO/Gordon. Possible Howe fancies using him through the middle, not just out wide.

Two good articles on Asensio playing through the middle.

https://www.managingmadrid.com/2021/8/27/22643500/what-to-expect-from-marco-asensio-in-a-midfield-role

https://therealchamps.com/2022/06/13/marco-asensio-needs-leave-real-madrid-world-class/

5 hours ago, thomas said:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lucas-paqueta-newcastle-united-arsenal-24438731

nowt new but lee's wording here tickled me

I thought Aulas was a turboclown? or am i getting my french club presidents confused?

Far from it. He's very outspoken and doesn't shy from controversial statements but he'll remain in history as one of the best football club owners in France. I think Lyon have been struggling for years in League 2 during the 80s when he bought them, so he has presided over an amazing transformation on every level for the club. Also one of the first to incorporate a women's team under the club's badge in the early 00s. I think they're the most successful women team in the world now. He has reputation in France as a bit of a visionary and the guy that always makes English clubs overpay.

I still choose to believe that we have a rough provisional agreement re: Paqueta with him..

Edited by junkhead

4 minutes ago, junkhead said:

Far from it. He's very outspoken and doesn't shy from controversial statements but he'll remain in history as one of the best football club owners in France. I think Lyon have been struggling for years in League 2 during the 80s when he bought them, so he has presided over an amazing transformation on every level for the club. He has reputation in France as the guy that always makes English clubs overpay.

Interesting. There was one who was always jerking us around when it came to transfers during the last decade or so, for some reason I thought it was him. But that could just be my negative perception, while "making english clubs overpay" could be the good one. Or I'm misremembering.

5 minutes ago, thomas said:

Interesting. There was one who was always jerking us around when it came to transfers during the last decade or so, for some reason I thought it was him. But that could just be my negative perception, while "making english clubs overpay" could be the good one. Or I'm misremembering.

Was it not the fella from Montpellier ?

Agent Bruno. I think he will come. Wasnt he the original target but lyon wouldnt sell? Club wont pass on the chance to buy a player of his calibre. There are other areas we need to strengh more but he will improve us

I feel that if we're making the move now we were holding off to not go "big" on fees in the start of the window and then pick him up as the last of the signings as it looks clear he wants to come, but because Arsenal have shown interest there's a need to lock it down quicker than planned.

Or whatever else reasons there might be :lol: