More transfer rumours

midds

Alot of players flop at Chelsea, especially attacking ones. Werner would do well here I think and suits what we need in terms of Wide Forwards but also cover for Wilson when needed, seems a no brainer. His wages and what Chelsea have up their sleeve is another matter.

8 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I’d prefer Maddison to be honest. Proven PL quality.

(though I would love either)

Don’t think it is either or. I think getting  one of the positions satisfactorily (and then some…) filled with a loan opens up the purse strings for another, or maybe two. 

14 minutes ago, STM said:

I might be wrong but I'm fairly certain he played up front on his own all his career until Chelsea moved him out wide.

Nope, he played in a two, both at 9 and 10, and also played on both wings. 

4 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Alot of players flop at Chelsea, especially attacking ones. Werner would do well here I think and suits what we need in terms of Wide Forwards but also cover for Wilson when needed, seems a no brainer. His wages and what Chelsea have up their sleeve is another matter.

Just to contradict myself massively. I’ve been saying for a while it might be that we go after a player that can play wide forward or in the 9. So from that point of view, I’m on board. 

23 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Werner can’t play up top on his own, can he? Seems like a bit of a pointless signing if we are going to continue with the 4-3-3. Rather we went after a lesser known and lower profile player. If they could play as a lone front man. 

I think the days of past managers sticking to one set up is gone, sure I think Howe will have his preferred set up, but with the five subs coming and how that can potentially change a game, you need to be dynamic, Howe is that for sure.

I'm confident from watching a few of his interviews, from his time out of the game he did nothing but study, to come back stronger. 

Not totally convinced all these transfer rumours are true, but I do think we'll see more than one type of Eddie Howe's Newcastle this season. 

Edited by mighty__mag

Not fully on board with Maddison for £60m (and then playing him wide) and Werner as our striker, but they're both quality PL players and we're way down the list now with time running out.

46 minutes ago, Emotic said:

Be amusing if we paid 50 million for Maddison and Leicester used part of the fee to replace him with Paqueta.

If Paqueta isn't coming here. he's not going to Leicester. More likely headed to Man City or another CL club.

I'd happily see us take a punt on Werner, like, especially if we somehow managed to pull the Maddison signing off. He might just need a bit of love from a fanbase and a manager with a more attacking philosophy than Tuchel. Imagine a finisher being fed by Maxi, Bruno and Maddison, man. 

6 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Not fully on board with Maddison for £60m (and then playing him wide) and Werner as our striker, but they're both quality PL players and we're way down the list now with time running out.

Isn’t it more likely Maddison would be played in the midfield and Werner as a wide forward. If Wilson is out Werner thru the middle and Maddison wide

Think Werner could slot in on right of a front 3 for us (as well as providing cover for Wilson through middle) - with Maxi on left and Trippier providing the creativity down that wing we need someone who's more of a direct goalscorer there.

Mind if we did somehow pull off Maddison too, that gives you even more options as he's played there a fair bit for Leicester, albeit I think you'd have to shift to a 4-2-3-1.

Edited by Anderson

Maddison and Werner would be superb.

Pope

Trippier Schar Botman Targett

Maddison Bruno Joelinton

Werner   Wilson   ASM

Don't know about you but I'd say that's fairly realistic. Werner on loan with option to buy (Pay a % his wages). Maddison in for £50m.  Both of these deals could easily be done in the next few weeks I'd imagine.

4 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Maddison and Werner would be superb.

Pope

Trippier Schar Botman Targett

Maddison Bruno Joelinton

Werner   Wilson   ASM

Don't know about you but I'd say that's fairly realistic. Werner on loan with option to buy (Pay a % his wages). Maddison in for £50m.  Both of these deals could easily be done in the next few weeks I'd imagine.

Good thing about that team is we have a fairly decent bench aswell. Cover in every position. 

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Could play wide, I suppose. Just thought he’s looked dreadful whenever I have seen him for Chelsea. Some awful misses and his touch is often horrendous. 

If Howe wants him and has a plan for him. Then that’s fine by me. Even though I don’t rate him. 

He’s the best misser of chances I’ve seen for a long time

15 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Both of these deals could easily be done in the next few weeks I'd imagine.

Is this based on your first-hand experience of elite football transfer deals? 

Some of the ultra-confident assertions you get on here are mad [emoji38]

Could just as easily and legitimately say: “neither of these deals are realistic. We can’t afford Werner’s wages or Leicester’s valuation of Madison” 

8 minutes ago, Bompeter said:

Is this based on your first-hand experience of elite football transfer deals? 

Some of the ultra-confident assertions you get on here are mad [emoji38]

Could just as easily and legitimately say: “neither of these deals are realistic. We can’t afford Werner’s wages or Leicester’s valuation of Madison” 

It's based on my entire adult life following football. 

Why do people assume that because you haven't worked in the football industry or as a football agent your opinion is worth nothing.

I'm not a mechanic nor have I ever trained as one or worked in a garage. However I am more than capable of servicing and repairing my car. Knowledge isn't limited to your working life.

I understand you think you're funny and that's fine but your whole point makes no sense. My assertion wasn't "ultra confident" , hence why I used the word "imagine" it implies some doubt.

Edited by Mazzy

2 hours ago, TRon said:

It's what Leicester want. But with two years left on his contract they won't get it.

If they sell it will be closer to £60m than our bid I reckon. 

33 minutes ago, gdm said:

Isn’t it more likely Maddison would be played in the midfield and Werner as a wide forward. If Wilson is out Werner thru the middle and Maddison wide

Just going off what folks are saying on here. I don't mind us move forward and changing formation or style of play as long as it was planned, but changing a winning formula to accommodate signings isn't for me. Likewise playing players out of position (mind it didn't do Joelinton any harm)

I haven't watched enough of Howe to know what he's thinking. I just hope these are his signings and if any transitions are incoming, then they are on his terms. 

I would have liked a full on striker and winger, but this does make us more rigid and maybe Howe has bigger plans. 

6 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

If all posts were based on first hand experience of elite transfer deals I’d wager this thread would be pretty dry.

Yeah, good job I was very specifically talking about an assertion on how easy a transfer deal would be to make then, not whether it would be a good or desirable thing for it to happen or not.

Edited by Bompeter

6 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

If they sell it will be closer to £60m than our bid I reckon. 

Good luck to them then. They'll end up selling him for £20m next season instead.