More transfer rumours

midds

He'll be our Pogba. Left for a pittance, made a name for himself, brought back for 1000x the fee we let him go for and fail to meet expectations only to leave on a free in 5 years time.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Conjo said:

He'll be our Pogba. Left for a pittance, made a name for himself, brought back for 1000x the fee we let him go for and fail to meet expectations only to leave on a free in 5 years time.

Nah, he’s a hungry, never gives in, up and at ‘em type of forward. Every time I’ve seen him he is relentless and must be a nightmare to play against.

33 minutes ago, Conjo said:

:lol: I knew where this was going yet somehow I was still amused.

4 minutes ago, wormy said:

:lol: I knew where this was going yet somehow I was still amused.

:lol: Could also be another Shearer. Had a chance to keep him from the start but we were generally too fucking thick to do anything right and then had to buy him back when his talent was no longer a secret.

We'll have to wait and see but I'd back Nickson et al to identify a better, younger forward for that sort of money. Seven goals from open play isn't it? 

I just don't think his ceiling is anywhere near top 6 level and if that's our ambition then there's every chance you're looking to shift him in 12 to 18 months.

19 minutes ago, HUGZ said:

Toney would do, but I'd much prefer Tammy, not sure if that's realistic though.

Not sure there’s much between the 2, personally. Similar goal scoring records in the championship and I think he’s probably slighter better suited to how we play. His price-tag would likely be 20 million or so less than TA as well…

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

:lol: Could also be another Shearer. Had a chance to keep him from the start but we were generally too fucking thick to do anything right and then had to buy him back when his talent was no longer a secret.

Technically we never let him go. We simply never signed him unlike Toney/Pogba.

Theory is still intact. :lol:

Besides the couple videos of him saying something daft on holiday, I don’t see an attitude problem in Toney.

From interviews, he comes across as extremely driven and hard-working. When he was let go by us, he was honest about his naivety and that he was lost at that level at the time and more generally, his future as a footballer.

When he played against us at home this season, he stated “there are no hard feelings. Newcastle still holds a special place in my heart”.

He has that steeliness about him as a central forward which I like, I think our team needs a bit of bite, especially when we play away.

9 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Not sure there’s much between the 2, personally. Similar goal scoring records in the championship and I think he’s probably slighter better suited to how we play. His price-tag would likely be 20 million or so less than TA as well…

That's some selective statistics right there [emoji38]

Abraham was around 1 in 3 for Chelsea at 21/22yo, now he's gone to the top level in Italy and he's scored 15 goals there. 

You can argue about style or price but in terms of proven production, Abraham is at a different level completely. 

Edited by Keegans Export

3 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Abraham was around 1 in 3 for Chelsea at 21/22yo, now he's gone to the top level in Italy and he's scored 15 goals there. 

You can argue about style or price but in terms of proven production, Abraham is at a different level completely. 

:thup: You’re right with regards to being proven; Abraham is undoubtedly the more proven striker thus far.

I was being selective because it’s the only real apples to apples analysis I could find. Abraham in the PL at Chelsea and Toney in the PL at Brentford isn’t a particularly fair comparison imo.

Toney does a lot of things very well, like heading clearances from corners, penalty taking and general team play. He’s also a very good finisher with strength and bit of pace. His attitude on the pitch is brilliant, really hungry and doesn’t give up. Don’t underestimate his talents, he would be brilliant for us.

13 minutes ago, McCormick said:

:thup: You’re right with regards to being proven; Abraham is undoubtedly the more proven striker thus far.

I was being selective because it’s the only real apples to apples analysis I could find. Abraham in the PL at Chelsea and Toney in the PL at Brentford isn’t a particularly fair comparison imo.

I hear what you're saying. For me though, there's a reason Abraham has spent most of his career in the PL & Serie A while Toney has just had his first experience of top flight football at 25/26. Anyway, regardless of who we end up signing, lets hope it's our Aguero rather than our Robinho...

8 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I hear what you're saying. For me though, there's a reason Abraham has spent most of his career in the PL & Serie A while Toney has just had his first experience of top flight football at 25/26. Anyway, regardless of who we end up signing, lets hope it's our Aguero rather than our Robinho...

Think this may be down to circumstances though; Tammy was brought through one of best youth academies in the world while the other was at Northampton. As we know, Toney’s move to us was a poor one in hindsight and really set him back.

Still think there isn’t that much between the 2 ability-wise (imo obviously). Tammy would be the surer bet, but that’ll be reflected heavily in the asking price. Safe to say I’d be delighted with either :aww:

43 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with people saying Tammy is better/more proven but is there something to be said about Tammy doing it for Chelsea and Roma which are both top teams and therefore create more chances than a team like Brentford? 

I guess you'd have to look and xG and stuff like that.