More transfer rumours

midds

Guest HTT II
Just now, TheGuv said:

Perhaps includes the greatest lyric of all time:

"I was so upset that I cried all the way to the chip shop"

Actually surprised the chorus of that song hasn't been belted out by teams when Gordon is diving actually. Would be hilarious [emoji38]

It’s just quintessentially British that song!

Gordon is exactly the type of player we all hate, nasty little rat-faced bastard... till we sign him, then everyone else hates him and he becomes our nasty little rat-faced bastard.

(That being said, give me Diaby any day of the week)

7 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

So basically reporters getting their clickbait news out again. Keep saying just ignore them 

We would have nothing to put in this thread if we ignored them though 😂

Just now, sushimonster85 said:

Gordon is exactly the type of player we all hate, nasty little rat-faced bastard... till we sign him, then everyone else hates him and he becomes our nasty little rat-faced bastard.

Haha, I have to admit that I pretty much disliked Targett for being a nasty little rat-faced bastard, but now I absolutely adore the nasty little rat-faced bastard.

2 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

I don't think Diaby is just potential tbh. He's already starting games for France who have probably the strongest national side in the world. He has 3 full seasons behind him. Obviously at his age there is clear room for growth too but there is output and reputation in the here and now.

Gordon has only really had half a season of looking like a promising PL player. I rate him and he's showed a lot of promise but it's not a sure thing. I think 35 million is a big gamble.

Looking at Grand Old Team it's a mix of 'take the money' or wanting to keep him purely out of principle as they dont want another player to leave or wouldn't want to see him come to us.

This is where I am as well. Gordon has caught the eye when I've watched him, but there's no substitute for cold hard stats. I haven't seen enough of him to know that he'll produce goals or assists on a consistent basis, whereas Diaby's stats are too good to be a fluke.

20 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Actually surprised the chorus of that song hasn't been belted out by teams when Gordon is diving actually. Would be hilarious [emoji38]

:thup:  :lol: What a blast from the past!

Gordon is still a prospect when we really need someone on the right side who can hit the ground running on Day 1. Unlike striker, for example, where an Ekitike or Broja can spell Wilson and continue to develop.

30 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

The Line "Here we go 2, 3 , 4" gets an airing whenever I'm out with my mates and we switch pubs.

I'd worry that a lot of praise Gordon got last season was simply because he was one of two EFC players noticeably playing for the shirt. Wasn't overly impressive to me outside of his effort, but obviously there's something about him that's gotten him to this level.

10 minutes ago, Ameritoon said:

I'd worry that a lot of praise Gordon got last season was simply because he was one of two EFC players noticeably playing for the shirt. Wasn't overly impressive to me outside of his effort, but obviously there's something about him that's gotten him to this level.

He's full of energy and looks like a fierce competitor which are both great attributes for a wide player. But it's all about end product when you are a forward, and I wouldn't want to be paying £35m on a player hoping he will produce that year in year out.

This whole Gordon thing is worryingly like Andy Carroll who was also coming off the back of one good half season. We all know how that ended up. We don’t know if Gordon is professional enough etc to maximise his potential so it all seems a bit too much too soon. With Ekitike you could make a case for to beat off the competition and also because he plays for a tiny club in France who he is not necessarily loyal to so is bound to move elsewhere. Whereas with Gordon he already plays for the club he loves, is going to be overpriced English tax, plus not enough data beyond a good half season. I know Howe likes his Brits, if so I’d rather he sign Hudson Odoi as we’ve seen more from him over the years. 

Sarr seems an obvious alternative to Diaby though, not sure why we’re not all over that. 

1 hour ago, Serb said:

Haha, I have to admit that I pretty much disliked Targett for being a nasty little rat-faced bastard, but now I absolutely adore the nasty little rat-faced bastard.

You take that back! 

Wor Matt isn’t nasty or a rat faced bastard. 

1 hour ago, sushimonster85 said:

The David Batty of the new millennium 

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

He has something about him, seems two footed, very quick, hard working and direct.

Think someone nailed it early with the Bellamy comparison. Seems a knob but he’s only going to get better. Bit of Grealish about him as well? Would be nice to sign an attacking English player on the way up like that, probably not signed one of that reputation since Dyer, Jenas, Milner…

Edited by Optimistic Nut