More transfer rumours

midds

Tells me the Zapata, Sarr, Cornet, Dennis stuff is nonsense. If we wanted them we could have brought them in. We are looking at next level players and playing the long game. Fingers crossed its not that long and we get 2 or 3 within the next month and a bit.

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Tells me the Zapata, Sarr, Cornet, Dennis stuff is nonsense. If we wanted them we could have brought them in. We are looking at next level players and playing the long game. Fingers crossed its not that long and we get 2 or 3 within the next month and a bit.

Yep that’s my reading of it as well.

Obviously if we get into the last week and haven’t gotten anyone in, then things may change and those players will probably become targets if they are still available.

Edited by SUPERTOON

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

:thup:

Absolutely right (Howe). Pity they're not here for the start of the season but I don't think it's particularly common for any ambitious club to have concluded their business so promptly and having signed exactly who they wanted to.

We've got three matches and two dead rubbers (Man City and Liverpool) before the end of the transfer window, so I hardly think not signing the Almiron upgrade pre-September is going to massively impact our season.

Us having a fighting chance this season was dependent on: the January signings, upgrading Dubravka, bringing Botman in and ensuring LB was filled by Targett or better. We've done that, everything else is complementary measures. And we'll get em, eventually. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Absolutely right (Howe). Pity they're not here for the start of the season but I don't think it's particularly common for any ambitious club to have concluded their business so promptly and having signed exactly who they wanted to.

We've got three matches and two dead rubbers (Man City and Liverpool) before the end of the transfer window, so I hardly think not signing the Almiron upgrade pre-September is going to massively impact our season.

Us having a fighting chance this season was dependent on: the January signings, upgrading Dubravka, bringing Botman in and ensuring LB was filled by Targett or better. We've done that, everything else is complementary measures. And we'll get em, eventually. 

The only slight concern is if Wilson picks up any injury in the meantime.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

The only slight concern is if Wilson picks up any injury in the meantime.

:lol: I do agree but if we can't even trust him to make it to the end of August then he'd probably be more reliable if we registered him as a corner flag. 

He's absolutely right like. No real point in getting someone in to make us feel better when the aim is Bruno/Trippier/Botman level players.

It's just a shame that I'm also absolutely desperate for us to sign someone.

Just now, Yorkie said:

:lol: I do agree but if we can't even trust him to make it to the end of August then he'd probably be more reliable if we registered him as a corner flag. 

😂 fair point, I just have no faith in his body holding up unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Also quite exciting that reading between the lines we're going after players better than Cornet/Sarr etc.

You guys are just assuming that he doesn't rate those guys.

Cornet does have a clause and so there is reason to believe we are not in for him as that would be very straight forward.

However, regarding Sarr and Dennis, apparently the Watford owner has been asking for around £30 million for Sarr and £25 million for Dennis, and so there is a chance we have been trying to get the price down for either of those two.

Lets wait and see. Don't convince yourself it's none of those and then end up being disappointed. They are all good players anyway, and would do really well for us.

Edited by KaKa

The latest from Mr Waugh:

Eddie Howe admits he “hoped” Newcastle United would have signed attacking reinforcements by this stage of the window and that there is a “slight frustration” with the difficulty operating in the current market.

Hugo Ekitike, the 20-year-old striker, joined Paris Saint-Germain on loan, despite Newcastle having an offer accepted by Reims, and that affected Howe’s summer plans.

Newcastle are exploring options for attacking signings and have made a host of enquiries for striker and wingers, including Leeds United’s Jack Harrison, but nothing appears imminent, with Howe stating that it is looking unlikely another fresh face will arrive by the Premier League opener against Nottingham Forest next weekend.

“Never say never,” Howe replied when asked if a forward would sign during the coming week. “I’ve been in the game long enough to not give you a definite answer on that. As the days tick by, it seems more and more unlikely. But we are trying, as we have been all window. We’re desperate to try and improve the group if we can, with the right player.”

Howe refused to comment on speculation linking Newcastle with Maxwell Cornet, but insisted that the Burnley forward’s omission from their squad for the Huddersfield Town match on Friday had “nothing to do with us”.

Still, the Newcastle head coach accepts that, ideally, he would have new attackers to integrate into his starting XI given the Premier League season starts in a week.

I probably wouldn’t have hoped to have been in that situation, but that’s the transfer window,” Howe said. “There’s no certainty on anything. When you go into a window, you want to get your business done early, get the majority of your pre-season done with the squad that you have and want, but time in management has told me that rarely happens.”

You have to be adaptable, and that’s what we’ve tried to be. The most important thing is we get the right players, not the speed at which we get the players in. We’re working hard behind the scenes to make that happen.”

Pushed as to whether he felt frustrated by the situation, Howe admitted there is irritation with the inflated prices being quoted, but not with the club failing to acquire players.

“I think there’s a slight frustration, but not aimed at anyone from our side,” Howe said. “Not a frustration that we haven’t done business, there’s just an understanding of the window. There’s a frustration that you want to build the team and get the cohesive nature of the team building quickly, but we hope we can do something.”

Having seen the way we’re coached and playing I’m absolutely of the opinion that we are better off doing everything we can to bring in proper quality rather than look for marginal gains over current our weakest players. However my petty impatient side just wants the endorphin hit of a signing right now.

6 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Having seen the way we’re coached and playing I’m absolutely of the opinion that we are better off doing everything we can to bring in proper quality rather than look for marginal gains over current our weakest players. However my petty impatient side just wants the endorphin hit of a signing right now.

Aye this. Even just looking at it from a financial POV it seems counter productive to write someone like Miggy off (which I had done myself tbh :lol:) in favour of a decent £25 Prem winger when he could feasibly put £10-15m on his price next season. It's a swing of £35-40m we could be using next summer (minus whatever pennies he could bring this summer).

Edited by Hanshithispantz

3 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Imagine the summer of 2001 if this place existed when we missed out on Jeffers and Zenden, only to get an unknown from PSG and a striker from a relegated club who only scored 6 goals that year.

This place sort of did exist back then, and IIRC there was a somewhat underwhelmed feeling.