More transfer rumours

midds

33 minutes ago, midds said:

I think every one of us would have liked another forward and can totally understand the 'where are the goals coming from?' question, it's a legitimate concern and question tbh. I think we've been far too reliant on individuals (Wilson and ASM) bailing the team out of the shit despite having minimal chances and possession. We've pinned our hopes on a couple of players for that long that we've forgotten that it's a team game and all of our players are capable of scoring goals. 

In theory, the new players should mean more possession of the ball in better areas, that should mean we create more opportunities, get more bodies into the box. More crosses, more corners, more height at set pieces, more shots on target, moving the entire play 20 yards up the pitch and spreading the goals out like normal teams do. Yeah, I'd love another £35m striker but they've all got a responsibility to share the load out between them. Looking at Fraser, ASM, Willock, Wood, Wilson getting half a dozen each, Burn could get a couple. It's not about 1 or 2 carrying the team, the team needs to step it up and look to get forward rather than playing it safe and not taking any chances at all. 

Spending £90m on the team and having it function in exactly the same way it did under Bruce is unthinkable now. That's where the goals need to come from now. 

Great post and I do think the impact the new players may have in our attack is being overlooked. 

Per 90 stats from fbref:

Bruno (percentile) vs. Willock

7.45 progressive passes (98) vs. 2.17 (5)

8.04 progressive carries (97) vs. 3.57 (43)

3.50 shot creating actions (96) vs. 2.38 (73)

Trippier vs. Manquillo
7.62 prog. passes (99) vs. 1.42 (1)

2.88 prog. carries (11) vs. 1.28 (1)

2.03 shot creating actions (66) vs. 0.64 (1)

Burn vs. Lascelles

3.19 prog. passes (67) vs. 1.10 (4)

2.32 prog. carries (44) vs. 0.59 (2)

0.79 shot creating actions (77) vs. 0.25 (9)

Targett vs. Dummett

5.67 prog. passes (93) vs. 1.65 (14)

2.87 prog. carries (10) vs. 1.15 (13)
2.03 shot creating actions (67) vs. 0.43 (35)

Now if you want to argue, particularly in the case of Burn and Targett, that their stats from the last year would be significantly worse had they been playing in Steve Bruce's Newcastle I would definitely accept that. But the fact is we have four players coming in who have demonstrated they can be a dramatic improvement in terms of getting the ball forward and creating chances. Bruno alone may transform the team and the way we are able to play.

Guest reefatoon
Just now, xLiaaamx said:

One thing I'm elated about is with Clark attempted to be shipped out and now not being registered is Eddie seeing the light with Fede vs Clark. 

Aye it’s great news. Either he has seen the light, or he was told in Saudi to kick him out after that sending off [emoji38]

Guest reefatoon

I’m waving the white flag. Can’t take anymore of this excitement so fucking off to bed. Will be great to get back to the football now the window is shutting and looking forward to seeing the new signings in action. Think we have done enough to stay up (injuries permitting). So let’s bring on the next match and get a win.