More transfer rumours

midds

2 hours ago, sixx said:

Don't mind missing out on Carlos. I'd want us to take a chance on a young centre back like Botman who can be a sort of a legacy player for us and a part of our spine for a long time. A bit like Kompany was for City. Diaby and Lodi look proper great but please tell me we're not after overpriced English players like DCL or Winks. Those are exactly the type of transfers that Everton would make.

That's Badiashile for me. Think Botman has a cooler head but I want a beast. Botman is more an upgraded Burn. Badiashile gives more pace and is a better Schar upgrade. Over time we will need upgrades on both.   

We can't do it all this window but a CB pool of Botman, Badiashile, Schar, Burn and bringing another young CB (Kelly maybe) in to replace lascelles, Fernandez and Clarke would be great. 

Aye right Luke, someone who plays on the right in the attacking midfield area, scores goals, creates, athletic, presses well....definitely not a priority when we've got Almiron & Fraser. Not saying we'll get Paqueta but he's talking shite there.

Just now, BoSelecta said:

Aye right Luke, someone who plays on the right in the attacking midfield area, scores goals, creates, athletic, presses well....definitely not a priority when we've got Almiron & Fraser. Not saying we'll get Paqueta but he's talking shite there.

I think that’ll be Diaby, Maxi if we got Harrison, etc. Paqueta would be more a number 10. Fair enough if Howe doesn’t want to play that way.

Depends so much on what formation Howe sees us playing next year. Not instantly signing Targett and being heavily linked with Lodi does seem to suggest he's looking at his 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1 with width provided from the full back positions. Paqueta would fit perfectly for us in this scenario. If we go in for Diaby then maybe he's looking to stick with the 4-3-3 which we've had so much success with this season. Either way, we'll know more soon. 

I think the team we finished the season with is more than adequate to guarantee a top ten finish and I would be more than happy to start next season with that team. Of course we'd need to sign Targett for that to be possible and I can't believe we haven't. 

Obviously we're not Man City but we need to do what they do with their players. Buy them young and keep them hungry by not making them instant first team certainties. Allow them to settle in and absorb the club for 6 months, or even a year.

Now, whether or not we can afford to be so pragmatic is a different matter. Going to Man City for 100million and a huge wage is going to alleviate some of the disappointment of not playing 50 games in your first year, whether we can offer that as a top ten team is questionable. But I think we can find the players, like Bruno, who can make it happen. I think I'd avoid anybody unwilling to follow that model.

9 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

Depends so much on what formation Howe sees us playing next year. Not instantly signing Targett and being heavily linked with Lodi does seem to suggest he's looking at his 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1 with width provided from the full back positions. Paqueta would fit perfectly for us in this scenario. If we go in for Diaby then maybe he's looking to stick with the 4-3-3 which we've had so much success with this season. Either way, we'll know more soon. 

I'm hoping it's 442 and he's buying Lodi for the left wing. Not saying get rid of Maxi but a bit of competition for his place should invigorate him. If it doesn't then see ya.

12 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I'm hoping it's 442 and he's buying Lodi for the left wing. Not saying get rid of Maxi but a bit of competition for his place should invigorate him. If it doesn't then see ya.

The thought had crossed my mind but then why hasn’t Targett been signed?

The ‘price severely inflated’ doesn’t really stand up in the face of villa (also with money to spend) signing Carlos this week for ~£26m. Feels like a continuation of the January craic in the absence of new information to report before his jollies. 

When you think about it FFP should pretty much rules out any ‘you’re minted so pay us way over the odds’ tax. Selling clubs know FFP exists which gives us a reasonable bargaining position for not paying significantly inflated prices. the negotiations with us should be no different than with any other club - centred on how the two sides value the player.

Might be wishful thinking on that one.

Edited by BoSelecta

I don’t doubt that some other clubs will be demanding silly money - Lille and Sevilla were after daft sums for Botman and Carlos.  Carlos has went for what still looks a hefty price tag - but there was talk that they wanted double that off us in January.

Misery guts Edwards was wrong about the budget in Jan, and will no doubt be wrong again - though all the noises suggest he’s not wrong about us not chucking silly about.  And Paqueta doesn’t feel like a priority - GK, LB, RW and CF are well ahead in terms of needs (and likely a CB too)

If someone is for sale, they are for sale and if the player agrees terms with both clubs, top bid wins. An actual scenario where a foreign club says the price is 30M to Villa but 50M (i.e., not 31M) to NUFC is hard to believe. It is even harder to believe when clubs have just had a season plus whatever with no matchday revenue and need all the money they can get. If a player we've bid on looks like heading elsewhere for a lower fee, I don't see why the agent would not contact us and invite us to bid again. Any agent not doing that is not going to get the best package for the client.

I'd love Paqueta, with the only proviso being that Willock was one of our most Brewced players and deserves a chance with the new setup.