More transfer rumours

midds

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

You don’t evolve by adding more deadwood to the squad though, you replace them with a much higher quality if you really want to progress. Wood and Cantwell is just adding more deadwood whilst Trippier is evolving the squad.

Cantwell and Wood would improve our squad at this moment in time. 

22 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Seems to love a goal against a big team 

Seems like a carbon copy of loanee Willock based on those clips. Not particularly strong, fast or skilled, but good at turning up in the box to score a goal.

How is his general play? Would he add any much needed bite to the midfield? 

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

Seems like a carbon copy of loanee Willock based on those clips. Not particularly strong, fast or skilled, but good at turning up in the box to score a goal.

How is his general play? Would he add any much needed bite to the midfield? 

Thought exactly that lol. 

From what I saw of him when he was performing for Norwich in the past, Cantwell would be a starter in our current midfield, imo. Not that Ive seen him perform for a while, mind. So Im unsure of his current form and trajectory. We need big players but also small improvements pretty much everywhere. If our scouting and management teams think he can come in an perform like Ive seen him do in the past, then I wouldnt disagree. If he wont cost much I'd take him, extra quality and competition can only help. Our squad is pathetic. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

Cantwell has struck me as one not particularly fast but canny with the ball at his feet, good at dribbling, decent all round attacking footballer. Always thought he was a #10? We do need a creative attacker this window to take some of the pressure off of ASM, given he is both our only outlet and source of real attacking threat. And he's been off it more than on this season.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Cantwell and Wood would improve our squad at this moment in time. 

Getting a 5/10 player is not improving the squad. We need to be aiming for the Trippier end of quality. Wood and Cantwell are not players we should be looking at. If you think different that’s your opinion.

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Getting a 5/10 player is not improving the squad. We need to be aiming for the Trippier end of quality. Wood and Cantwell are not players we should be looking at. If you think different that’s your opinion.

That's fine but given the position the club is in you will surely be paying a premium. FFP doesn't allow the team to bring in 6 players at 40M each. Well, technically you could as it's amortized and a 3 year period.

Just now, ManDoon said:

He’s pretty quick I think, well at least quick enough. Think he can play across the the 3. He has been bad recently there is no denying that. Hopefully just needs a move. 

He's a boy band looking prick in the James Maddison mould. Maddison in 10x a better footballer, mind. Can't see many of our lot overly taking to him should he sign and not hit the ground running for that reason though. :lol: I may well take him tbh, probably more so ahead of Wood. I'm aware that they're completely different players in different positions but we do need another creative player so not everything we do goes through ASM. He's the realistic only one we've been strenuously linked with in the window while we've been linked to far better strikers.

We desperately need a big horrible mobile nasty destroyer in CM right now. The defence gets zero protection from the 2/3 in CM right now and it hurts us every game. Cantwell has many attributes and he's technically better than pretty much anything we've got in CM as we speak but he's not who we need if we we're going to get out of this mess. Swapping Cantwell for, say, Longstaff won't keep us up . He's better than Longstaff and you could rightly argue it's an upgrade it it wouldn't address the massive issues we've got in CM. We need a totally different type of player. It's not a sleight on Cantwell, it's just where we are as a squad.  

1 minute ago, midds said:

We desperately need a big horrible mobile nasty destroyer in CM right now. The defence gets zero protection from the 2/3 in CM right now and it hurts us every game. Cantwell has many attributes and he's technically better than pretty much anything we've got in CM as we speak but he's not who we need if we we're going to get out of this mess. Swapping Cantwell for, say, Longstaff won't keep us up . He's better than Longstaff and you could rightly argue it's an upgrade it it wouldn't address the massive issues we've got in CM. We need a totally different type of player. It's not a sleight on Cantwell, it's just where we are as a squad.  

Do agree. We need a Kamara type player to screen the back 4 more than an advanced midfielder. Adding Botman or Carlos is all well and good but them getting ran at ~4 times a game due to our non existent, terribly balanced midfield won't make too much difference defensively to us, as much as Botman and Carlos are upgrades on our current CBs. 

1 minute ago, McDog said:

That's fine but given the position the club is in you will surely be paying a premium. FFP doesn't allow the team to bring in 6 players at 40M each. Well, technically you could as it's amortized and a 3 year period.

The current FPP scale for the club also does not include any future incoming sponsorship/commercial revenue deals.

Firstly, we have to understand it’s not going to be a case of putting together a team of names and just hope it works.

Eddie Howe has a system he likes using, the players coming in have to suit that. They need to be ready for that from the get go.

Also if history has taught us anything is that wholesale changes never work. We need to keep the best of the current squad and the quote that Craig Hope had about keeping the incoming players on a similar wage structure is important.

It’s all ego pissing contest bullshit with these cunts, one in on 70k a week more than the next highest earner will cause all sorts of tension and ultimately poor results.

The more worrying thing for me is that not one of our current squad has been linked with going anywhere. Not one.

As far as Wood's concerned I've always thought of him as a big lump targetman who eventually coverts a dozen chances a season. The fact the whole team is geared up to servicing him and there's little other plan puts me off him. If we're going to lump it into the box constantly then he'll inevitable score a few. Fuck me, even Joselu notched a few when we were bare as fuck but it didn't make him the answer. Wood's not the answer to any question we should be asking. 

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

The current FPP scale for the club also does not include any future incoming sponsorship/commercial revenue deals.

Understood as Tifo indicated realistic sponsorships could add the total to 800M in possible spend. 

That's a bird in the bush and not in the hand as a very old American saying goes.

Edited by McDog

1 minute ago, midds said:

As far as Wood's concerned I've always thought of him as a big lump targetman who eventually coverts a dozen chances a season. The fact the whole team is geared up to servicing him and there's little other plan puts me off him. If we're going to lump it into the box constantly then he'll inevitable score a few. Fuck me, even Joselu notched a few when we were bare as fuck but it didn't make him the answer. Wood's not the answer to any question we should be asking. 

Could be useful for the squad though, no?

I tell you who would be a miles better signing than Chris Wood,  and he had a decent Euro tournament, that big Czech Forward Schick. Good target man because he's a big unit, but during the Euros, he looked quick and could play a bit, and also on the subject of the Euros, that Danish midfielder Damsgaard was absolutely mint, would light up our midfield. 

Only basing this on the two types we've been linked with, in Wood and Cantwell.

Edited by mighty__mag

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Could be useful for the squad though, no?

Well, yeah. As we speak we have zero strikers so Wood is better than nothing. But the only way to get anything out of Wood is to ping the ball into the box at any opportunity form any direction from either flank in their half. If we're not prepared to change the entire Howe philosophy to accommodate him then there's no point in signing him and we need someone else. 

He's a big lump and he'll score goals as long as you arrange the entire team and tactics around him. He can be effective but the cons outweigh the pros imo.    

It does just seem a case of quantity and bodies in over anything that's going to significantly improve us. I know we joke about Choudhury on loan, but there were a couple of Ashley January windows where the boat was pushed out when things were looking hideous, and you'd kind of think it was pre takeover. It's clearly proving fairly hard to bring quality in (Trippier did want to come back home, and had worked with Howe, so that went in our favour), but I was kind of hoping for better than this, it kind of does feel like preparing for next year, rather than desperately trying to save our skin.

1 minute ago, Paullow said:

It does just seem a case of quantity and bodies in over anything that's going to significantly improve us. I know we joke about Choudhury on loan, but there were a couple of Ashley January windows where the boat was pushed out when things were looking hideous, and you'd kind of think it was pre takeover. It's clearly proving fairly hard to bring quality in (Trippier did want to come back home, and had worked with Howe, so that went in our favour), but I was kind of hoping for better than this, it kind of does feel like preparing for next year, rather than desperately trying to save our skin.

Not sure I'd lay it out that way. Bids in for some class center backs. Strikers we'll have to see I guess.