More transfer rumours

midds

Think the relative speed and ease with which Trippier signing got completed (and some of the other fancy names that have been thrown around) might have given false sense of how attractive an option we are for most players right now - Trippier was obviously very keen on coming back to the PL and especially to a team in North and that's worked in our favour - we won't have that working in our favour with many/any other targets.

No amount of money can change fact that we are not a particularly attractive proposition to most players currently and selling clubs/agents will tend to want to hold out as long as possible to get the best deals, we are desperate for pretty much anybody and if we have to lower our expectations to get someone in door sooner rather than later then that should be priority given current predicament, they can still go after the more sexy targets in parallel but suspect we are likely to get dicked round till end of month and most will fancy going elsewhere if the option becomes available anyway.

41 minutes ago, Rich said:

Ideally, Howe also wants a left-back and a midfielder, alongside two centre-backs and at least one forward before the window closes.”

So two CBs and one forward the priorities. Peeps happy if we get in Botman, Carlos, and a striker in addition to Trippier and conclude our transfers?

1 minute ago, LRD said:

So two CBs and one forward the priorities. Peeps happy if we get in Botman, Carlos, and a striker in addition to Trippier and conclude our transfers?

No, we desperately need a defensive midfielder.

2 minutes ago, LRD said:

Honestly, no our central midfield needs addressing so badly. 

2 minutes ago, LRD said:

No, we desperately need a new LB and a defensive CM, they are arguably more important than getting new CBs.

You know how literally everyone in the football industry says how difficult it is to do transfer business in January? Maybe it is actually really difficult to do transfer business in January and it's not just people saying it for their own amusement. Just a thought.

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

You know how literally everyone in the football industry says how difficult it is to do transfer business in January? Maybe it is actually really difficult to do transfer business in January and it's not just people saying it for their own amusement. Just a thought.

So no other clubs have signed more then 1 player? :)

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

player link 234.

I think Im going to ignore links for this week and just wait for official announcements.   Work productivity last week was at an all time low, can't do that this week or I'll be sack :-)

Edited by Awaymag

7 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

So we should just sign players because they're easy to sign, not because they're the players we actually need/want?

Nope, I am just saying it can be fast to sign players in January if we go all in.

Just now, peder said:

Nope, I am just saying it can be fast to sign players in January if we go all in.

We are trying to sign players that the clubs don’t want to sell, it really isn’t as simple as you seem to think it is.

4 hours ago, MarkyMark said:

I take your point, but she was also quoted as saying that they would invest 50m per window above what the club could bring in over five transfer windows - which isn't buttons, but it isn't 'stupid' money either, in a football context.

I actually don't think she was talking shit - because she did say that it would take time.  Can't be arsed to pull out all quotes, but Caulkin's article / interview from October sums it up pretty well:

https://theathletic.com/2875873/2021/10/08/amanda-staveley-interview-why-do-keegan-and-shearer-get-so-little-recognition-from-our-club/  

Caulkin isn't using a direct quote here - but I doubt he'd write it without anything support for it: 'There will be money to spend on players in the January transfer window and again next summer, but it will be measured.'  Sensible spending to secure PL position is how I read that.  A couple of years of that word Keegan hated; 'consolidation'.

Short-term is sensible spending, no superstars, rebuild the club from the bottom-up.  Eventually, with the club running under its own steam, look to try to win the title.  Of course, I'm under no illusions that in the summer there would have been new sponsors lined up, from KSA-based companies linked either to the PIF or to the Saudi govt (which in a state like KSA is basically every single one).

I'd argue that Wood is better than Gayle and Cantwell is better than any of our current attacking midfielders.  Which is a sure-fire proof of how shite we are, but they're better nonetheless.  You never know, we might still get a 'name' on loan before the end of the window.  I don't give a toss about that tbf - generally speaking, a transfer policy works well if you buy in better players than the ones you have, and the replacements aren't wankers off the pitch.  I worry that the second part of that sentence is not applicable to Cantwell ...

Proof is in the pudding so we will just have to see what happens.