Hugo Ekitike

Miggys First Goal

12 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

My hot take is different: Chris Wood is starting for us.

It's not a good situation, regardless of the strengthening of the rest of the side.

From your posts you seemed like a learned man, but had you heard of this kid before January 1? 

Now if your issue is we haven't signed a second striker period I agree, there was a need given Wilson's injury, but I wouldn't want to disrespect Wood entirely. We had to move quickly to get him in for the games against Watford and Leeds and I think he's added a physical presence and a more direct option. We could have bought Zapata, or this kid, and you're hoping they hit the ground running too. I'm very skeptical of Ligue 1 forwards just because this is a level that Emmanuel Riviere found comfortable. 

We need big characters this season. Not sure this kid is him.

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

Sorry mate but you are talking absolute shite. The only 2 things I’ve not been positive about are wood & nketiah. I’m happy with everything else. The only thing I think we currently need is another forward which most of the forum is saying. So again you are talking shite

I do have a history of talking shite, like. You've got me bang to rights.

Just now, 54 said:

Can't really blame the kid, he's 19 would have to come into a new league, learn a new language, and fight and scrap for everything, and not be guaranteed a starting spot. Where he is now, he is getting constant game time, knows the area and his surroundings, and can improve on his game. Think for him personally he made the right call, obviously gutted we didn't get him. 

Bang on. Would've liked to get him here but even I have to admit that he's probably made the right call for himself. I do think maybe this ship had sailed now though, if we go down we aren't getting him and if we stay up I'd think we'll be in a different market than the one he occupies.

Just now, Rich said:

Not worthy of abuse, nah, but a bit of grief/poking? Sure.

For a solid example, you were moaning about Burn earlier because you thought he was a left-back. That, to me, is just moaning for the sake of moaning, as it's coming from a place of ignorance and a lack of knowledge. Takes a minute to go and look to see where he's played on Transfermarkt, which might have led to you thinking "ah well, that's alright then", rather than posting yet more guff.

Wtf are you talking about wasn’t moaning at all? I asked the question could we use him at left back and someone came back and said he played mostly at centre hand and I said fair enough. I asked the question because people have better knowledge than me on it and that’s what a forum is for. Jesus Christ

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I mean he’s 19. Weird take, he would be uprooting his entire life. 

That makes it sound like he's coming for an office job. 

Edited by Thiago

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

Sorry mate but you are talking absolute shite. The only 2 things I’ve not been positive about are wood & nketiah. I’m happy with everything else. The only thing I think we currently need is another forward which most of the forum is saying. So again you are talking shite

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

There are just some, like you and gdm, who take any opportunity to jump on the negative news and provide an utterly banal analysis of it like "oh that's worrying", "we should have done X', "I said we'd regret this", etc. If you're just a pair of miserable fuckers, that's fair enough, but I don't think I'm incorrect here in saying you're not "unnecessarily negative".

Absolute dogshit that viewpoint like :lol: I’m positive where there is right to be but also offer my opinion where I think we could do better. That’s generally how opinions work.

I also think people have a right to point out they might have been right after weeks of snide comments. That’s not “I told you so”, that’s “fuck off and be open to other’s opinions”. 

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I mean it doesn’t at all. Like not even slightly. You’re claiming he doesn’t “back his talent” because he won’t move to the PL at 19 for a club bang in relegation trouble. Okay. He quite literally is moving country 

So why has Guimares done it? 

I'm not speaking ill of the lad, but if that was me and it was a chance to jump up a level and really test myself my age wouldn't bother me at all. You're going to be playing with better players, against better players. Even if he signs and we go down, he could be back in France on loan come the summer. 

It's fine we can agree to disagree.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm relatively confident that Wood can do what he's done nearly every other season - gone on very good goalscoring runs at the end of the season. 

Get some crosses in for the lad to attack. 

4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I’m not at all, but we will see I guess. He’s hovering around the age of DECLINE, so who knows. I think it’s a risk to rely on him based on this season’s form. 

He's exactly the sort of player that people worry about not doing it imo - me included. Shoehorned comparison because of the differences in their style of play, but if Callum Wilson was coming in with 3 goals in 15, but with a 1 in 3 record (mainly scored at the end of the season) in previous seasons, I think there would be much more confidence than there is with Wood. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, ManDoon said:

I’m not at all, but we will see I guess. He’s hovering around the age of DECLINE, so who knows. I think it’s a risk to rely on him based on this season’s form. 

He's only just turned 30, like. 

He's done this pretty much every season, according to the stats. His crimes seem to be that he regularly scored goals for unfashionable Burnley and is a bit of a throwback player.

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

He’s 24, and has already left his country once before? I don’t think l it’s a knock against him or any reflection on his desire

Right, and I'm saying I don't want a player who isn't sure of himself moving. We've seen far too many come here because of external pressure.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Patterns don’t just infinitely repeat. I think it’s reasonable to expect a PL forward to control a football well? Not everyone rates every player, most people hated Cantwell, I don’t rate Wood. 

The pattern is more likely to repeat than not, when that's been the pattern for the last 4 years.

If he scores 7 goals between now and the end of the season, I'm really not going to give much of a shit if he has a dodgy touch sometimes.

10 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Based on what? The variables have completely changed. That’s fine and that’s up to you. I’m merely explaining why I don’t think he’s very good.  Also a target man needs to be able to hold up the ball, or we lose it. See Watford at home. 

I'm just basing my opinion on things that have happened, the evidence we've seen so far is that he has scored goals in streaks in the PL. You can spin the argument around and say that he's been in a shite side bereft of creativity for years and still scrapped out goals consistently - in fact, his time at Leeds might just suggest that he can flourish in a better footballing outfit... It's not like he's a header merchant either, judging by his scoring breakdown.

I thought his focal play was pretty good against Leeds, like, but it's a very small sample size either way.

Not worth continuing this, as you say, as we'll never agree until he's played more games for us.

5 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

:anguish: Downie saying Ekitike turned us down because we left it too late in the window for him to make such a big decision.

Massive fuck up that. Should’ve had it done weeks ago.

Fanny Breeze two hours ago:

”I wonder if Ekitike may have made a different decision if he had a decision to make three weeks earlier, rather being rushed with a couple of hours to make such a life-changing decision.”

Soz, @Magpie just replaced you as the most ITK.

5 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

:anguish: Downie saying Ekitike turned us down because we left it too late in the window for him to make such a big decision.

We have been after him for weeks so I think this is an excuse, to be fair he is only young and the expectation on him would be huge and going to a club in a different country and the bottom of the league probably isn't much of a draw for him. I can see this happening in the summer if we stay up.

10 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Aye and he also said he's waiting for bigger clubs coming in the summer for him