Hugo Ekitike

Miggys First Goal

1 minute ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I dont see us singing more than 1 wide player. That'd give us new singing, Gordon, Maxi and Miggy. Murphy will stay to be 5th choice for there I think.

Pedro is a striker option that can play out wide, we will need another option upfront with Wilson's injury record and the amount of games we will have to play.

Think we're definitely going to get another left footer for that right side too.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

PSG are a galactico club that get rid of their own top young talent. It was a silly move considering the year he had just had and the clubs that were interested in him aside from us even. It's panned out exactly as expected.

They had a change of strategy last summer.  I think the failure is more Ekitike’s own fault if he doesn’t have the parience to learn and wait behind the best forwards in the world who are aging (Messi, Neymar) or looking to move away (Mbappe).

19 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Dont think anyone said it'd be "better", more that it was "understandable". 

He obviously expected more game time, I think that's clear. The fact he hasnt had it will be disappointing clearly, but maybe its his fault. Maybe its not, I dont watch PSG to know. 

You cant knock his ambition, but it hasnt worked out this year. Doubt it's going to have cost him much career wise. He'll get a move somewhere and from the confidence I have in our scouting he'll be good.

Borussia Dortmund wanted him to come in to replace Haaland. That would have been the ambitious move.

PSG have not brought through any young players in yonks. They are more concerned with throwing money all over the place.

On top of that he had Messi, Neymar and Mbappe ahead of him. As most predicted it has ended poorly for him. Terrible move.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Borussia Dortmund wanted him to come in to replace Haaland. That would have been the ambitious move.

PSG have not brought through any young players in yonks. They are more concerned with throwing money all over the place.

On top of that he had Messi, Neymar and Mbappe ahead of him. As most predicted it has ended poorly for him. Terrible move.

Maybe. I'm sure he's not concerned what other peoples' predictions for him were, mind. Or what anyone gains from someone else's predictions anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Pata said:

They had a change of strategy last summer.  I think the failure is more Ekitike’s own fault if he doesn’t have the parience to learn and wait behind the best forwards in the world who are aging (Messi, Neymar) or looking to move away (Mbappe).

I think the issue is with the strategy at that mess of a club.

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Maybe. I'm sure he's not concerned what other peoples' predictions for him were, mind. Or what anyone gains from someone else's predictions anyway. 

That's fine. Ultimately it's ended up badly for him and by all accounts he was miserable all season with the situation.

Lost count of the number of PSG games I watched where they were pummeling teams in Ligue 1 and the guy stayed rooted to the bench. Ridiculous situation.

1 hour ago, wormy said:

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask if he's available at a knock down price. But if his problems stem from not getting playing time at PSG of all places I don't think he'll be too impressed at where he begins in the pecking order here, either. 

Not being automatically picked might make him wiser. If our recruitment team think he's worth pursuing again then fair enough.

Seen quite a few comments such as it makes sense to go there to learn from Messi etc. 

How much is a young player going to learn from these players that he wouldn't get from a good management and coaching staff?

Players being good doesn't make them good teachers or role models. 

Luckiest miss in football history for me.  If we’d signed Ekitike there was no going in for Isak.  I fall to my knees every morning and give thanks to his small-time arrogant twat of an agent and his unprofessional remarks in public which have likely told every club in Europe that they won’t want to deal with him.  The notion of sitting on the bench watching Mbappe and Messi play improved a player is daft, too - he’d be better off buying a season ticket at PSG and continuing to play for a ‘lesser’ club if that’s the case.  How many talented young players have rotted on Chelsea or Man City’s benches over the years and didn’t improve by watching excellent footballers?

Thankfully I don’t think Eddie Howe is as spiteful as we are ?

He does second chances as proved with Ryan Fraser, but fuck about and find out as he did a second time.

He won’t hold that grudge against Ekitike, the kid was badly advised and chose a bad move, it was never going to work out given what they already have there.

If he still fits the overall plan we’ll try again at some point.

Ekitike, Isak, Gordon could be the fastest front 3 in world football?

Just now, Dr Jinx said:

He does second chances as proved with Ryan Fraser, but fuck about and find out as he did a second time.

He won’t hold that grudge against Ekitike, the kid was badly advised and chose a bad move, it was never going to work out given what they already have there.

If he still fits the overall plan we’ll try again at some point.

Ekitike, Isak, Gordon could be the fastest front 3 in world football?

The lad looked unimpressive to me in the admittedly  Dennis Wise-esque scouting done on here (loads of YouTube clips).  Looked very raw and lacking in poise.  Obviously there’s something there otherwise he doesn’t attract those suitors - but he’s come across as a bad egg at PSG.  I suspect his attitude at PSG will automatically rule him out on the ‘no arseholes’ rule the club employs. 

Badly advised sure, but it sounds like there have been attitude issues based on comments from Galtier earlier in the season and his limited playing time. His options are going to be a lot poorer in the summer and if he doesn’t get the next move right his career trajectory will have collapsed 

1 hour ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

You'd imagine we'd only be after 1 front 3 forward, and that being a wider forward. So it'd be one of Ekitike if he's even a consideration, Maddison or Pedro. Unless we're also looking at Maddison covering more than 1 position. But if we're after a Ugarte type we'd probably not be after more forward CM. Ekitike was also considered a 2 position player from what I read pre PSG move. Primarily a RF but also able to cover CF.

GK, LB, CB, DCM, WF I think will be what we're looking for. 

Why on earth would we be signing a GK?

15 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

He does second chances

The player has turned us/Howe down twice already, in two consecutive windows. Think Eddie does third chances? 

11 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

Why on earth would we be signing a GK?

Because if we don't other than Pope we'd have Dubravka, (maybe) Karius and Darlow (or is Darlow's contract up? Not sure). One is okay but wanted away, another doesnt play, and the other is surplus to requirements out on loan.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't sign a young keeper, personally. 

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Can't say I ever understood the excitement over him tbh, right now I would definitely pick Pedro over him, even if he ends up more expensive.

Wasn’t he being compared to Henry? Missed him and went for Isak, also compared to Henry.  

Thought that there must some sort of Next Henry list we were working from, and found this: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/982098-10-players-who-can-be-the-next-thierry-henry

[emoji38]  Henri Saivet,  Emmanuel Riviere

59 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Wasn’t he being compared to Henry? Missed him and went for Isak, also compared to Henry.  

Thought that there must some sort of Next Henry list we were working from, and found this: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/982098-10-players-who-can-be-the-next-thierry-henry

[emoji38]  Henri Saivet,  Emmanuel Riviere

By Ekitike’s age Henry was a first team regular in a superb Monaco side which won Ligue 1 and had won the WC, playing in every knockout game except the final.  Ekitike’s highlights reel looked a long way short of that - anyone comparing him to Henry was being a bit daft; the lad looks a long way short at the moment. 

9 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

Can see him going to a Villa or West Ham

Yeah. I think there is too much water under the bridge for the player and fans for him to come here now.  Villa would suit their go for people that reject us approach.  It would keep their fans happy.