Hugo Ekitike

Miggys First Goal

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He seems a talent, but I wouldn’t be too bothered if he didn’t sign for us. Same with many others we are linked with, mainly because I know next to fuck all about them or have seen many of them play much.

I think it’s just refreshing knowing that no matter what, come end of August we’re going to be a lot stronger. Some targets will knock us back but it’s almost certain that our plans B, C & D will still be excellent. Gone are the days when we go down Carr’s recommendations and go from Aubameyang, to Bony, to Riviere.

Maybe why we are looking at Sarr? 

Not worried. We will get there but we aren't at the competing stage with the top clubs yet. We will get the pieces we need to get closer  whether that's Hugo or someone else.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

https://psgtalk.com/2022/06/psg-mercato-paris-sg-transfer-target-has-not-said-yes-newcastle-united/

This one is not looking good. Particularly because of how much Ekitike looks up to Mbappe. Not sure we get him now.

It’s fairly obvious he’s stalling us out as we’re not his first choice.

Hope PSG’s poor track record for bringing promising youths into the first team picture will make the lad see sense.

Would be a blow to lose out on 2 priority targets this early.

34 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Hope PSG’s poor track record for bringing promising youths into the first team picture will make the lad see sense.

I don't think he's stalling. Credible news came that we were given permission to talk to his agent on Saturday, the same day he played for France.

Decent journos are reporting he's agreed to join us, we're probably ironing terms out with his agent, but the silence allows reporters to start pumping out stories to make things more dramatic than they really are. Remember the wait to sign Howe up? A couple reported it was off.

If news comes that PSG have made a formal bid, it'll be a different story  but as things stand I'm confident it'll go through.

37 minutes ago, McCormick said:

It would be a very risky choice going there, but the guy really looks up to Mbappe and so that may influence him significantly. Both there dads are from Cameroon and everything, and so even their backgrounds are quite similar.

Funny thing is one of PSGs youth players, Arnaud Kalimuendo, just had a really good season out on loan at Lens and he's a striker and all. Scored 12 goals for Lens this season and is just 20 years old this year, same as Ekitike. We've been linked with him too, and so that might perhaps be another option if PSG go for Ekitike.

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

Would be a blow, yes. But I’d rather we lose out to our targets early in the transfer window. Plenty of time for alternatives.

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

Maybe I'm being cynical, but that's how it looks to me too.

Having the structure of the deal that Reims would accept out there as fairly common knowledge, and making it clear that personal terms are yet to be agreed seems like a come and get me plea.

Not sure I buy this delay being down to the tournament he's in either. His agents aren't playing in it are they? Would there be such a delay if the likes of Real Madrid came calling, I wonder. Sounds more like letting others know there is still time to jump in.

Likewise, medicals. These can surely be done anywhere now. No need to fly into Benton to get him to cough and tap his knee with a hammer. 

Pure speculation and I hope I'm wrong, mind.

Is it not possible we’re waiting until after he finishes playing this tournament? He could then have a medical and sign the contract.

Seems unnecessarily risky to sign a player who get injured in a match. Isn’t it over soon? 

Yeah, if someone had swooped in we would've heard about it. It will just be the international tournament. The kid does seem to have his head screwed on right. He turned down a massive pay increase in Jan to see the season out at Reims, knowing he would likely play more. 

That being said, not ruling out someone (more likely Dortmund) coming in for him between now and next week. 

It would be hard for the other teams to match our offer. 30 million is a lot for a youngster with a single season behind him. He'll sign.

Same with Botman - can't see Milan throwing so much money for a position which is not a priority for them. I'm sure he'd prefer to go to Milano but only if they offer similar money to us. They won't.

Just now, junkhead said:

It would be hard for the other teams to match our offer. 30 million is a lot for a youngster with a single season behind him. He'll sign.

Same with Botman - can't see Milan throwing so much money for a position which is not a priority for them. I'm sure he'd prefer to go to Milano but only if they offer similar money to us. They won't.

We're talking about PSG here.

13 minutes ago, KaKa said:

We're talking about PSG here.

Good point. Despite their front 3 almost contractual obligation to play, PSG have no problem stockpiling expensive players and they seem rather light in the wide attacking areas, beyond the galacticos. Might even loan him back to Reims for another season, for all they care. 

Still, as we saw with our takeover - Al-Khelaifi is on top of the football (corruption) pyramid, so PSG effectively have 'first option' on any Ligue 1 player. Imo, if they really wanted Ekitike, they would've already signed him.

2 minutes ago, junkhead said:

Good point. Despite their front 3 almost contractual obligation to play, PSG have no problem stockpiling expensive players and they seem rather light in the wide attacking areas, beyond the galacticos. Might even loan him back to Reims for another season, for all they care. 

Still, as we saw with our takeover - Al-Khelaifi is on top of the football (corruption) pyramid, so PSG effectively have 'first option' on any Ligue 1 player. Imo, if they really wanted Ekitike, they would've already signed him.

Which then begs the question, if he's that good, why haven't they already signed him? Don't know anything really about the player, as I don't really watch other leagues.

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

Which then begs the question, if he's that good, why haven't they already signed him? Don't know anything really about the player, as I don't really watch other leagues.

Does it really beg that question? He’s 19.

If we can’t sign Botman I’m more than happy with Ake, like. More a £30-35m player than £50m but if our first choice turns us down, we might just end up paying what it takes to get the next choice rather than dropping too far down the list. Premier League ready, knows Howe, title winner, good age….ticks so many boxes for me.

12 minutes ago, junkhead said:

Bare in mind though, stock piling is supposed to be a new rule, I think Chelsea will have to offload a fair few players given they cant loan 30+ anymore like they used to.

I'd put PSG in that category. I mean PSG would likely buy him and send him straight back?