Hugo Ekitike

Miggys First Goal

Just now, christ said:

One good season means nothing, particularly if you’ve got the attitude he seems to have.

He’s been underwhelming at PSG. He appears to have spat his dummy out because he’s behind Mbappe, Messi and Neymar, and they’re now trying to move him on before the obligation to buy has actually properly kicked in. I know PSG are a joke behind the scenes, but that should be a huge red flag.

We’re not in the same position we were 12-18 months ago when we were after him. The circular debate about whether we should or shouldn’t go for him seems pointless to me - we’ve progressed to a point where if he came he’d find himself in the same situation he is at PSG that he’s so unhappy with.

It’s clear he needs to get his head down elsewhere and get more than a solitary good run of form under his belt and make the most of his potential.

You're wrong, and so if we sign him in the summer just don't cry too much. 

1 minute ago, christ said:

What parts do you take issue with?

Well it appears the PSG signing of Ekitike was largely driven by their new DOF Luis Campos, rather than the manager.

The first half of the season, in a league where they regularly had it quite easy against teams, he played a total of 224 mins, so just over 2 total games minutes wise (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/hugo-ekitike/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/709726/plus/0?saison=2022&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=). I think he had a good reason to be annoyed, personally, even though the way he handled it wasn't ideal.

Therefore, to say he would be in the same situation here is not at all accurate. Wilson always misses time through injury, and so we cannot under any circumstances go into next season with just him and Isak, and ideally would have a younger talent that can come off the bench at times, start some games up top, as well as be able to also fill in in other attacking positions too. Ekitike fits the mould, and would get a decent amount of game time in such a role, especially with European games now likely to be played too. 

I don't even particularly care if we sign this guy, and have always maintained it was a poor choice on his part to go to PSG ahead of the multiple other options he had, especially the Dortmund one. Having said all that though, i think the narrative with him is over the top IMO.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I don't even particularly care if we sign this guy, and have always maintained it was a poor choice on his part to go to PSG ahead of the multiple other options he had, especially the Dortmund one. Having said all that though, i think the narrative with him is over the top IMO.

Could’ve fooled me :lol:

We’re signing better players than him this summer. He’d be third or fourth choice at best.

13 minutes ago, Jimburst said:

Kaka you need to take a wee look at yourself and the way you talk to people.

Yeah, maybe. Just being a bit cheeky, but maybe coming across worse :thup:

Just now, christ said:

Could’ve fooled me :lol:

We’re signing better players than him this summer. He’d be third or fourth choice at best.

We have Isak and Wilson already who will both expect to be the main options. I think we'll sign either Pedro or Ekitike as a versatile third striker.

Both would be quality high calibre youngsters to bring in IMO. 

51 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Wrong. Isak was brought in because Wilson got injured.

*And we were left with only Chris Wood. I'm not so sure we would've rushed in for Isak if we had Wood AND Ekitike in reserve.

I think, for me, a distinction between Ekitike and Gordon is all of Gordon's trouble seems to be on the pitch - technically including Brentford, too. I've heard nothing but good things about him off the pitch.

With Ekitike it seems to be the opposite. Will he have a road to Damascus moment? Maybe. He probably should for his own sake. But given where we're at as a club now, I'd like to think there's a whole world of decent alternatives out there e.g. Pedro so don't see why we'd tie our flag to him alone. Not saying that you are Kaka, obviously.

Pedro would be great for sure. Watford have been tough over his transfer fee though, turning down £30 million from us last summer.

Ekitike is apparently going to be available on an initial loan, which would be great from an FFP point of view, and allow us a lot more wiggle room to build up the squad this summer.

Guess we'll see what happens. I'm sure it will work out great either way. 

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Pedro would be great for sure. Watford have been tough over his transfer fee though, turning down £30 million from us last summer.

Ekitike is apparently going to be available on an initial loan, which would be great from an FFP point of view, and allow us a lot more wiggle room to build up the squad this summer.

Guess we'll see what happens. I'm sure it will work out great either way. 

Part of me is hoping Pedro has some sort of clause in his new contract surrounding leaving Watford should they not get promoted. On first sight, seems silly for him to have signed it otherwise.

Yes, if PSG are at the stage of ousting him, it's financially interesting for sure, which we can't completely ignore if all terms are favourable.

• 1 month later...

Ironically, now would be a great time to sign him as his stock has dropped. I just don't think we'd go back there after we got pissed about for two windows. We've moved on and we can probably attract proven talent now rather than hopefuls.

I always had concerns about this guy.

His career journey didn’t scream startling prospect. One good season for a mid table team isn’t a huge amount of evidence especially when the ask is 30m. I hope we don’t go back.

9 hours ago, Viana said:

I always had concerns about this guy.

His career journey didn’t scream startling prospect. One good season for a mid table team isn’t a huge amount of evidence especially when the ask is 30m. I hope we don’t go back.

Prick of an agent giving him poor career advice too. 

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Would 100% take at this stage. Cover for up front and Gordon.

Gordon? We've got Barnes for that no? I would think we need cover for Almiron. He will turn 30 and Murphy will turn 29 this February.

RW, then cover for Schar, then cover for striker. That plus getting Tonali back would provide some good depth.