Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

2 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Sounds like they have a well thought out plan how to spend that money seeing as they want Carroll on a free.

They can build a better team, but if Andy Carroll is their main hope upfront they are going down.

I love this argument of "If it had happened under Ashley and Bruce there would be uproar", lets run this through.

• We signed a player from a fellow Premier League Club.
  • We signed a player that is of 30 years of age.
  • We spent £25M to be able to sign this 30 year old striker.
  • We signed this player in the second week of January.

How the fuck does that scream "Mike Ashley signing" :lol: 

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

I love this argument of "If it had happened under Ashley and Bruce there would be uproar", lets run this through.

All of that plus we acted swiftly to address an area of concern makes it the least Ashley signing ever. It’s baffling.

Saw Glendenning was unsurprisingly wheeling out the "if Bruce/Ashley had signed him" shite in piece in Guardian today, to be expected from that gobshite but did at least concede it was a "disappointingly shrewd" piece of business

12 minutes ago, 54 said:

It reveals nothing more than the ignorance of others of what the previous 14 years was like.  They've no knowledge, yet feel the need to pontificate.  See also; Derby supporters excited that Mikey is going to rock up.

It is why it is best to treat pig ignorance from other fans - and the shit-brained 'pundits' / hacks aiming for angry responses from supporters (and remember, it is grown adults doing this) - as white noise.  It isn't even worth a second's anger.

3 minutes ago, Dandy Man said:

Saw Glendenning was unsurprisingly wheeling out the "if Bruce/Ashley had signed him" shite in piece in Guardian today, to be expected from that gobshite but did at least concede it was a "disappointingly shrewd" piece of business

Another one worth avoiding.  Tiresome pisshead and failed stand-up who thinks his hatred is based upon righteousness.  Haven't had to listen to a word he says since Richardson jumped ship from Football Weekly.  Pretendy mackem gobshite.

I look forward to him asking Pep about human rights abuses in Abu Dhabi, in that way that he hasn't asked of a single Man City manager.  Or going on a journalistic strike against the Qatar WC and refusing to write or say a single thing about it in solidarity with the thousands of indentured workers who built those stadiums.

'Whatabouttery' he'll suggest, whilst not having a fucking clue that he genuinely is a hypocritical waste of space.

We never really gave stick to Bruce for his signings. Bar Joelinton (which wasn't him) who has come good recently, selling Lejeune without replacing him and replacing Yedlin with Krafth they were all okay buys. Bruce got abuse because he was a shit manager, a shit coach, talked down the club and often patronised the fans.

The whole 'if Bruce signed Wood' implies that they think it's a bad signing (it may be or may be superb, time will tell) or they really want us to pander to a narrative that we simply don't pander to. 

4 hours ago, Collage said:

Eh? He’s clearly taller than Lascelles

When he shakes Dummetts hand he doesn't look much taller? 

Its nothing major,  I just thought from only ever seeing him now and then for Burnley,  he was way bigger set.

Hang on, so actual 'journalists' are coming out with the "if Bruce signed him..." line, as opposed to just clickbait tripe like Talksport and Sportbible? Christ Almighty. :lol: 

Okay. I mean... notwithstanding it being a completely moot point because we would never have made such a signing, for countless reasons (not least because Patsy Bruce couldn't even get them to budge on a basic inexpensive summer loan signing, never mind a £25million 30-year-old in January)... it's actually probably true. Because I was in a constant state of fuming when Steve Bruce was here. So yes, I would've been hopping mad and miserable; that was the immovable default position, regardless of any specifics. :lol:

What a weird dig to be coming out with, man. It's crap like that which makes you believe in the Mick Martin sponsored 'agenda against Newcastle' southern media conspiracy. 

4 hours ago, joeyt said:
12 hours ago, Gaztoon said:

On a human level I'm so happy the lad had football ... because he's not the sharpest tool in the box is he

Looks like a guy you always see walking around town with a 10 year old tesco bag.

Didn't get this vibe at all from his interview, seems a switched on lad

:lol:

Gaztoon was referring to Agbonlahor, wasn’t he? Wood comes across well.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Hang on, so actual 'journalists' are coming out with the "if Bruce signed him..." line, as opposed to just clickbait tripe like Talksport and Sportbible? Christ Almighty. :lol: 

Okay. I mean... notwithstanding it being a completely moot point because we would never have made such a signing, for countless reasons (not least because Patsy Bruce couldn't even get them to budge on a basic inexpensive summer loan signing, never mind a £25million 30-year-old in January)... it's actually probably true. Because I was in a constant state of fuming when Steve Bruce was here. So yes, I would've been hopping mad and miserable; that was the immovable default position, regardless of any specifics. :lol:

What a weird dig to be coming out with, man. It's crap like that which makes you believe in the Mick Martin sponsored 'agenda against Newcastle' southern media conspiracy. 

The players signed under Bruce though, whether they were his doing or not, were mostly okay. Or were received okay.

Joelinton 

ASM

Krafth (no)

Carroll ( :lol: )

Willems

Bentaleb 

Lazaro

Rose 

Wilson

Lewis

Fraser 

Willock 

The sale of Lejeune to play Clark more is unforgivable, mind. And it's a big part of the reason why we've been so bad defensively since the restart of football in June 2020. Selling Yedlin was brainless for me, too. We never truly hated Bruce's signings, we actually used them to show people how bad we were or how much we regressed in comparison to the net spend of his predecessor. It's a completely pointless argument to make. Like I said above, these coming out with that tripe are doing so because they think Wood is a bad signing which he may turn out to be. Or they're doing it because we're not lapping up the narrative of demanding world class players like Mbappe and Haaland et al because of the takeover. We're fucking 19th lads ffs, with 1 win and no fit strikers at the club prior to Wood signing. Fuck me. :lol:

If fans were critical about the signing they'd be portrayed as unrealistic and deluded, whereas fans are being positive about the signing and being portrayed as putting on rose tinted spectacles for the new regime and hailing a bog standard target man as the new messiah.

All bullshit and as others have said it is not worth the time of day, if you know the reality of the situation then that's all that matters, never going to get likes of Glendenning on our side, let him go off

Edited by Dandy Man

I think it's a different argument because Glendenning et al's argument isn't actually about any signings, it's about Bruce being a salt of the earth fella and those Geordies being a pack of cunts. The subject driving the view of secondary/irrelevant. 

But as for the signings, most of them were fucking useless imo. Even the two jewels in the crown - Wilson and ASM - are unreliable at best, particularly the former. 

Joelinton, Fraser, Carroll, Krafth, Bentaleb, Rose, Hendrick, Lewis, Willock - all utter, utter turd signings. Aye I know Joe's coming good but that's down to him and Howe; for two years he's been a joke. 

We’d have kicked off because under Ashley this would likely have been our entire budget, if not the lion share of it. We’d have been frantically wondering where Wilson was going or who would need to be sold to balance the books. I’d have been shocked he ever sanctioned a deal for a 30 year old on a 2.5 year deal.

This transfer is everything Ashley wasn’t when it came to business. He demanded the perfect deal and let that be the enemy of very good so it fit his shitty list of requirements. Fuck short term need, could we flog him for a small loss if he fails? Might he make us a big profit if he comes good? We’d have been scouring the loan market for a temporary solution, not signing Wood.

As for Bruce, I didn’t see us kicking off when he signed Wilson? He was a 1 in 3 striker with a patchy injury record. If there was any frustration to attach to him it would be because he splashed all our money on one player like he did with Willock. You can say “well the fans weren’t complaining” yeah and the fans aren’t paid fucking experts that know how much we have to spend.

If the suggestion is he wasn’t sexy enough - neither was Bruce’s play. I’d have taken some comfort in knowing he signed a target man to work in his hoof ball style. Honestly though, we can’t win. Either we’re devastated that it’s not Haaland and Mbappe or we’re hypocrites for not booing Wood through the door. I’m happy for people to tell us what we think cos it’s never right.

Edited by Thiago