Jesse Lingard

18 minutes ago, Clockwork Cheese said:

Watch podcast on Marc Birchall who was a coach at QPR at the time. He said that all the players coming in were on massive money, relegation get out clauses the lot - whilst likes of Jamie Mackie, Shaun Derry, Clint Hill were still on relative peanuts. 

Explained that basically, whilst splitting the dressing room in cliques, it became a situation where the lesser paid players would have rightly had no motivation to give a fuck either - they would have earned more money in Championship than in PL *more games, so more match bonuses* - only their professionalism would have seen them commit, whilst Djbril Cisse refused to play because his bit on the side didn't shag him night before, or the club having to pay off Samba Diakhate's Witch Doctor curse so that he could train pre-season.  

this would have been some Netflix special. 

1 hour ago, relámpago blanco said:

Weird comparison. 

29 year old bit-part England midfielder leaving a bigger club to go to a team hurtling towards relegation on a short-term deal?

Aye, absolutely zero comparison.

5 hours ago, Clockwork Cheese said:

Watch podcast on Marc Birchall who was a coach at QPR at the time. He said that all the players coming in were on massive money, relegation get out clauses the lot - whilst likes of Jamie Mackie, Shaun Derry, Clint Hill were still on relative peanuts. 

Explained that basically, whilst splitting the dressing room in cliques, it became a situation where the lesser paid players would have rightly had no motivation to give a fuck either - they would have earned more money in Championship than in PL *more games, so more match bonuses* - only their professionalism would have seen them commit, whilst Djbril Cisse refused to play because his bit on the side didn't shag him night before, or the club having to pay off Samba Diakhate's Witch Doctor curse so that he could train pre-season.  

Wtf has any of this got to do with Lingard? 

On 21/01/2022 at 16:57, Ste said:

He absolutely takes the pressure off ASM and makes opposition defences focus on someone other than him. We are so easy to defend against currently. 

This for me is why we need Lingard or someone of his ilk.

Right now when we attack, the opposition just stick 2 or 3 men on ASM and wait for him and bank on him not being able to get past everyone. We're so easy to thwart. We're desperate to be able to attack in multiple areas of the pitch and have more than one creative threat.

2 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

But that's nowhere near what another club competing for the top 4 places would potentially cost them.

Yes I could understand that if we were West Ham or Spurs, but we aren't competing for a top 4 place. 

Just now, TRon said:

Yes I could understand that if we were West Ham or Spurs, but we aren't competing for a top 4 place. 

But they are concerned that we will be, concerned enough to hold an emergency No Newcastles meeting and change PL rules to try to restrict our owners ability to invest in the club.

2 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

But they are concerned that we will be, concerned enough to hold an emergency No Newcastles meeting and change PL rules to try to restrict our owners ability to invest in the club.

If that's their thinking then not much we can do about it, but they aren't going to stop us by refusing to sell Lingard. We'll just buy someone else. I can understand them trying to hobble us by forcing some rule changes, but that's the only way of stopping us. We've got all the money, our rise is inevitable. Refusing to sell us Lingard strikes me as a bit like pissing in the wind. 

If teams let us sign players which will keep us up it means we will become a threat to them sooner rather than later. For that reason the top six won't be looking to assist us in any way. We already have the referees with a mandate to award us nothing and so it goes on

https://www.90min.com/posts/newcastle-make-10m-loan-offer-for-jesse-lingard

Newcastle United have made a fresh move for Jesse Lingard and have offered Manchester United £10m to loan the England midfielder for the rest of the season, 90min understands.

Newcastle and Man Utd have been locked in talks for most of January and as yet the two clubs have not come to agreement, but the Magpies have now made an offer that they expect to be accepted.

Newcastle are ready to offer Lingard around £150,000-a-week for the rest of the season, plus a huge bonus if he keeps them up and there will be no commitment on his side to stay, although there will be a contract offer for him.

Should Newcastle fail to bring in Lingard, we understand that the Magpies have held talks in the last week about possible deals for Tottenham's Dele Alli and Chelsea's Ross Barkley.

16 minutes ago, TRon said:

If that's their thinking then not much we can do about it, but they aren't going to stop us by refusing to sell Lingard. We'll just buy someone else. I can understand them trying to hobble us by forcing some rule changes, but that's the only way of stopping us. We've got all the money, our rise is inevitable. Refusing to sell us Lingard strikes me as a bit like pissing in the wind. 

We've got a week left in the window, there's every chance we won't have time to sort out a deal for someone else.

It's not pissing in the wind, if we do stay up it will probably be by very fine margins, one player like Lingard could easily make the difference between staying up and going down.

Both Lingard and Alli are risks, really don’t know who I’d prefer as the pros and cons are quite different. Alli appeared to have a far higher ceiling but perhaps down to his attitude or mentality his game has gone backwards for years. Lingard has a lower ceiling but has shown he can deliver short-term from his loan spell with West Ham. Neither of them have been getting enough minutes to judge them at all. Of course I’d be desperate for either currently so we can’t be too picky