Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

8 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Been saying for a while now that no European football next season will likely mean Bruno is off in the Summer. Because of his nature it's easy to think of him as a young player, but he turns 27 this year. Even with a lot of work in the Summer there's no guarantee we make CL next season. He isn't going to hang around into his late 20's to see if we get back in. He likely needs to move in the Summer, and so long as we get the 100m release I think it's not as dire a happening as it seems on the surface. 

Yes, he is the talisman of the team. But there's plenty even at the club now who could take up that mantle. In Tonali we have an elite CM ready to step up next season, and we will have 100m on top of what the budget would've been in the Summer. With smart scouting/recruitment the summber budget could go a long way. 

(Just to clarify in case it's not clear. I fucking love Bruno.)

I would think the opposite, personally.

He is very rarely injured and he is pretty unique in the way that he plays.  He doesn't mind the physical side and getting stuck in.  He will demand the ball whilst being tightly marked by a player or two and almost always comes out with us retaining possession.  He is skillful, good with the short and longer stuff, chips in with the odd goal.  There isn't any other midfielder in the squad with anything like his skillset.  As has been proven time and again when we've tried someone else in his position or he isn't playing.  It would also cost a lot to get a replacement for him and who's to say they'd just fit straight in the way he did or be anywhere near as good?    

His lack of athleticism is his only real weakness.  But he is still as fit as a flea and covers a lot of ground.  I think he is regularly high up on the list of players in the league for distance covered per game.

Would probably allow us to get an inferior replacement and continue complaining that the likes of Ritchie & Dummett are still with us, as some seem to be hellbent on selling our best talent instead of building a squad that can compete at the top end of the table. 

IF he leaves I’d be extremely sad and gutted, but he would go with my best wishes 100%. He came here when we were sinking and has been nothing but brilliant on and off the pitch. Love him! 

Im absolutely certain that he genuinely loves it here and is super happy in every way. Having said that… Take my Nufc emotions and bias away, if I was him I wouldn’t be looking to move away and go, and I don’t think he will. But if the right opportunity comes up I both think he will and should go for his own best (mostly career wise). As said I would be gutted but at the same i time I would see the positive opportunities it might also give us. As a single player he is irreplaceable no doubt.

Hope he stays and we can strengthen anyway. Enjoy your weekend folks. 

22 minutes ago, TBG said:

Would probably allow us to get an inferior replacement and continue complaining that the likes of Ritchie & Dummett are still with us, as some seem to be hellbent on selling our best talent instead of building a squad that can compete at the top end of the table. 

With FFP and a low-quality squad, you cannot just go and buy world-class players every summer in the positions you want to improve, you have to generate revenue to raise the level of the whole squad. I've said it another thread, but Spurs sold Bale, Modric, Berbatov and others as part of their journey to become a club that's sustained a top-6 presence for a prolonged period of time. Levy was infamous for getting top dollar for players he sold. We need to keep making shrewd signings and hope more come off than don't. 

Bruno's one of my favourite players, and he's the best player at the club, but if we want the club to grow and regularly challenge at the right end of the table, then we as fans need to accept that this is a process we'll need to go through and some of our best players won't be sticking around for the entire duration. I'm not saying we actively try and shift him, but it won't go well for us to be seen in any way as actively blocking moves to some of the biggest clubs in the world if they come knocking, we'll not be seen as a good club to sign for for players with high potential.

We do actually have to make a big FFP profit at some point, and there are very few potential candidates when you look through the squad. Feels inevitable if a serious offer comes in. 

4 minutes ago, HawK said:

With FFP and a low-quality squad, you cannot just go and buy world-class players every summer in the positions you want to improve, you have to generate revenue to raise the level of the whole squad. I've said it another thread, but Spurs sold Bale, Modric, Berbatov and others as part of their journey to become a club that's sustained a top-6 presence for a prolonged period of time. Levy was infamous for getting top dollar for players he sold. We need to keep making shrewd signings and hope more come off than don't. 

Bruno's one of my favourite players, and he's the best player at the club, but if we want the club to grow and regularly challenge at the right end of the table, then we as fans need to accept that this is a process we'll need to go through and some of our best players won't be sticking around for the entire duration. I'm not saying we actively try and shift him, but it won't go well for us to be seen in any way as actively blocking moves to some of the biggest clubs in the world if they come knocking, we'll not be seen as a good club to sign for for players with high potential.

Yep, I agree with this. I'd be absolutely gutted, but I know it's gonna happen eventually with him.

14 hours ago, LionOfGosforth said:

How'd you work that one out like? We lose our best player, and he goes back to France to play for that circus. Sounds shite to me, not good for all parties.

• PSG are one of the likeliest teams to pay his full release clause.
  • They probably have the means to pay a lot of his clause up-front.
  • We don’t strengthen a domestic team. Even if we’re a million miles from the likes of Man City or Liverpool, I’d rather not see him play against us a minimum of two times a season.

I just think it’s a sad state of affairs that we can’t spend the money we have to consistently challenge at the top and keep our best players. We’d only have to sell Bruno because we need to get some revenue in. For where we are right now that shouldn’t be the focus for growth, we should be holding onto our stars and adding more to supplement them.

Imagine telling Amazon or Meta that all those losses they incurred on their growth journey were not allowed and they had to stop investing and innovating. They wouldn’t be the trillion companies they are right now and the it’s just silly

Apart from the wage rise, he'd be stupid to go to PSG. Playing in a low profile, tin-pot league, and although he'd get to play in the CL every season, the chances of him winning it would be slim.

Depends on where we finish and who comes in for him. He’s absolutely world class in my eyes but he also has a very good thing going for him here.

1 hour ago, Krabbe2 said:

Will be sad if he leaves us now or in the summer, but on the other hand, what opportunity does a sale of 100 million give in terms of ffp?

If he goes in the summer, three-fifths of his transfer fee would already have been amortised.  It might be possible to buy three or four £80m players on five year deals (thanks to amortisation - though you’d need to ensure that future revenues are kept up). 

5 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Apart from the wage rise, he'd be stupid to go to PSG. Playing in a low profile, tin-pot league, and although he'd get to play in the CL every season, the chances of him winning it would be slim.

Messi, Neymar, Cavani, Mbappe, etc etc all happily did exactly that.  The French top tier isn’t the best in the world, but it’s hardly tin pot either.  And we did sign Bruno from France. 

1 hour ago, TBG said:

Not how FFP works, though.  And that’s the point - the ones complaining about it seem to be the ones thinking precisely this.  A sale of someone like Bruno would mean we aren’t seeing Ritchie and Dummett on the bench.  We always had to sell under FFP

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Messi, Neymar, Cavani, Mbappe, etc etc all happily did exactly that.  The French top tier isn’t the best in the world, but it’s hardly tin pot either.  And we did sign Bruno from France. 

I know it’s awful as far as we are concerned but it’s like a perfect move for him given he’s client in French and Marquinhos is one of them captains. Not that I want to lose him. 

I don’t fear it though; ultimately the Ashley days are behind us and I’m confident that we replace him and then some. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Think the difference is that 1st three of those went there as a semi-retirement home and Mbappe will obviously get a bigger move soon as he is still young. Bruno moves to PSG and that's his final big move. Pretty underwhelming IMO.

Just now, r0cafella said:

I know it’s awful as far as we are concerned but it’s like a perfect move for him given he’s client in French and Marquinhos is one of them captains. Not that I want to lose him. 

I don’t fear it though; ultimately the Ashley days are behind us and I’m confident that we replace him and then some. 

Agreed - this sort of thing was the raison d’etre of Ashley’s NUFC.  There was no plan beyond trading profit.  For us, it would be reinvested and then some. 

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

Think the difference is that 1st three of those went there as a semi-retirement home and Mbappe will obviously get a bigger move soon as he is still young. Bruno moves to PSG and that's his final big move. Pretty underwhelming IMO.

I don’t think he gets a move to Real, or Juve - and Barca are potless.  Bayern aren’t going to spend £100m on a 27 YO midfielder.

Other than another English club (don’t want that) then PSG seems the obvious potential destination to me. 

Anyone else feel that Bruno's too good for PSG? He'd not look out of place in any team's first XI imo - Real, City is where he should be aiming for if anywhere.

1 minute ago, HawK said:

Anyone else feel that Bruno's too good for PSG? He'd not look out of place in any team's first XI imo - Real, City is where he should be aiming for if anywhere.

Wouldn’t want to see him go to another English club

(I also don’t think he’s Real Madrid quality)

Edited by TheBrownBottle