Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

Seeing Willock improving and getting closer to what we saw last year is for me more important to be built upon than starting with Shelvey

End of the day it solely depends on what role EH wants Bruno to bring and that'll ultimately decide who gets dropped

It's kind of insane to me to leave the world class midfielder out of the side because the current midfielders are in form.

This guy was brought in to help ensure they stay up, so play him now. He got his feet wet yesterday.

Having him sit deepest in a midfield 3 is a waste, he has to play in one of the Willock or Joelinton roles. 

For me we should play Joe, Shelvey, Bruno and then Willock on late in the game up against tired legs and then rotate as needed. 

We need a proper DM in the summer for replace Shelvey and then we have a really strong midfield

1 minute ago, M1tche said:

Having him sit deepest in a midfield 3 is a waste, he has to play in one of the Willock or Joelinton roles. 

For me we should play Joe, Shelvey, Bruno and then Willock on late in the game up against tired legs and then rotate as needed. 

We need a proper DM in the summer for replace Shelvey and then we have a really strong midfield

As much as I don’t think Willock deserves to lose his place, Bruno doesn’t look like he’s built for sitting in the role Shelvey has and you can’t drop Joelinton given how he’s played recently. 

2 minutes ago, M1tche said:

I like Joelinton, but if we want to really improve we need to have all three that started last night on the bench comw august.

1 minute ago, M1tche said:

This is the best way to incorporate him I think, Howe taking off Willock for him last night might be as sign of things to come. Just not sure on the time frame of it, if he gets one start over Willock and plays well I can’t see Howe not starting him.. depending on the opponent he might put Willock back in occasionally. Fully expect Bruno to be a starter from next season onwards though when he’s been fully bedded in and has settled.

8 minutes ago, St1pe said:

As much as I don’t think Willock deserves to lose his place, Bruno doesn’t look like he’s built for sitting in the role Shelvey has and you can’t drop Joelinton given how he’s played recently. 

You absolutely can, especially when Bruno does what Joe is currently doing to a much higher degree. 

31 minutes ago, McDog said:

It's kind of insane to me to leave the world class midfielder out of the side because the current midfielders are in form.

It’s actually the opposite of insane. Especially when you consider the type of team spirit and cohesion Howe is fostering within the squad. If they’re in form, they keep their place. Which is good for us because it means they’re playing well and we’re playing well as a team. Everyone is playing for each other right now and it’s lifting the whole squad (a rising tide lifts all boats and all that). I wouldn’t want Howe to rock that balance and belief we have as a squad just as we finally get rolling in the right direction. 

Howe has players filling out very specific roles (essentially trying to get our best players on the ball as often as possible - Trippier and ASM) and because of that I agree it's not as simple as just dropping any player. As a team we're better than the sum of our parts.

With that being said I do think some of the roles being asked aren't going to be too difficult to pass on. Shelvey being one who I think could easily be swapped out.

Honest to god. This talk about this midfield being inform is ridiculous. We beat Leeds and Everton. Two bad teams at the moment. The bar is set really low if we feel like we want to keep these three in because they’re playing well. We need to have higher standards if we want to stay up and Bruno is clearly our best midfielder. You have to start him against Villa.

Just now, Flip said:

Honest to god. This talk about this midfield being inform is ridiculous. We beat Leeds and Everton. Two bad teams at the moment. The bar is set really low if we feel like we want to keep these three in because they’re playing well. We need to have higher standards if we want to stay up and Bruno is clearly our best midfielder. You have to start him against Villa.

Plus Everton played through us too easily at times imo. Not a lot but some scenarios where they got through too easy imo. 

1 hour ago, Nine said:

This is the best way to incorporate him I think, Howe taking off Willock for him last night might be as sign of things to come. Just not sure on the time frame of it, if he gets one start over Willock and plays well I can’t see Howe not starting him.. depending on the opponent he might put Willock back in occasionally. Fully expect Bruno to be a starter from next season onwards though when he’s been fully bedded in and has settled.

If he's not starting within 2 or 3 games ill be massively shocked, if he trains as good as that cameo was it's impossible to not start soon him reguardless of whats happening on a matchday. I can see a rotation being used though, depending on who we're playing. He might play the 3 without Shelvey for the odd game as well

12 minutes ago, M1tche said:

If he's not starting within 2 or 3 games ill be massively shocked, if he trains as good as that cameo was it's impossible to not start soon him reguardless of whats happening on a matchday. I can see a rotation being used though, depending on who we're playing. He might play the 3 without Shelvey for the odd game as well

Hoping thats what Howes thinking 

Edited by Nine

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

You absolutely can, especially when Bruno does what Joe is currently doing to a much higher degree. 

It’s actually the opposite of insane. Especially when you consider the type of team spirit and cohesion Howe is fostering within the squad. If they’re in form, they keep their place. Which is good for us because it means they’re playing well and we’re playing well as a team. Everyone is playing for each other right now and it’s lifting the whole squad (a rising tide lifts all boats and all that). I wouldn’t want Howe to rock that balance and belief we have as a squad just as we finally get rolling in the right direction. 

We'll have to disagree. I personally believe he'd fire everyone up, look at the teams reaction since he turned up? It's Howe's call obviously and he is closest to the situation.

If the team spirit and cohesion would be disrupted or destroyed by dropping Shelvey or Willock for a world class midfielder that the team and fans buzzing then they have a beyond fragile cohesion.

Just my opinion.

Edited by McDog
Grammer

35 minutes ago, M1tche said:

Yep. We’ve been on about our poor central midfield all season and now we’ve signed a Brazil international for big money. Of course he should start games, and he will. That’s what he’s been brought in to do, just like Trippier.

20 minutes ago, McDog said:

If the team spirit and cohesion would be disrupted or destroyed by dropping Shelvey or Willock for a world class midfielder that the team and fans buzzing then they have a beyond fragile cohesion

This is assuming that it's either of those two getting dropped when in reality it'll be Joe, who has worked his fucking bollocks off for us and puts in 110% each shift. Unfortunately the position he currently is sitting in is where Bruno fits best into the system. Dropping a player like Joe right now is a delicate balancing act. Why work your ass off if someone can just come in and take your spot? Sends the completely wrong message to the one that Howe is instilling in the squad.

If someone gets injured then it's the golden opportunity for Howe, but unless that happens, Bruno will likely be slowly integrated into the matches until eventually starting.

8 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

This is assuming that it's either of those two getting dropped when in reality it'll be Joe, who has worked his fucking bollocks off for us and puts in 110% each shift. Unfortunately the position he currently is sitting in is where Bruno fits best into the system. Dropping a player like Joe right now is a delicate balancing act. Why work your ass off if someone can just come in and take your spot? Sends the completely wrong message to the one that Howe is instilling in the squad.

If someone gets injured then it's the golden opportunity for Howe, but unless that happens, Bruno will likely be slowly integrated into the matches until eventually starting.

I do think chucking 5 new guys would be a mistake but Trippier/Bruno are the best new additions so he'd get added in my world.

Guess we'll see on Sunday!

I don’t see why Joe Willock should be dropped when he is just starting to recapture his form. I think we all know shelvey should be dropped but there’s a chance he drops big JL as he had an ongoing injury but would be sad to see big JL lose his place. What’s weird is by putting Bruno in for any of those 3 it won’t weaken us it’ll firmly improve us which is hard to get the head around but his time will come.