Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

Would rather give him away to City than sell him for 100m to Liverpool or ManU or Arteta. And I wouldn’t like to see him going to city at all, not 1%. 

Would rather keep him and not spend my time mentally bargaining about which other clubs he might go to. 

Stuff like this amongst our fans is where the whole small time thing applies imo.

37 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Would rather keep him and not spend my time mentally bargaining about which other clubs he might go to. 

Stuff like this amongst our fans is where the whole small time thing applies imo.

Think FFP doesn't allow us as much reassurance as the established top clubs about your top players leaving.

Obviously it can happen to any club, but we are probably nearing the point of having to offload proven quality to allow spends.

Angry Jingle All The Way GIF

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

For me personally, I don’t mind talking about it, hypocritically, it’s a forum. I don’t lose any sleep over it and not worried in the slightest. Whatever happens happens when it actually does. Having said that, I love the man both as a person and as a player. He absolutely loves it here, but I both think he will and should leave in the summer. That’s thinking career wise, purely. Would be different if he was say 23-24. This summer is the perfect time for him to do so. If he does he will do so with a heavy heart. But also fully deserves it to fulfil his potential and career. 

The prospect of him leaving is pretty likely really so it's an unavoidable thought. I don't think it's small time; it's just the grimness of the football food chain (and PSR), plus the reality that the player has probably grown faster than the club. 

I still have some hope that we'll get at least another season out of him, but I think the club will feel quite inclined to cash in. I think his cash value is peaking right now because he'll be 27 next season and, tbh, the lad could very well burn out soon given the sheer amount of football he plays, both here and at international level. Man City would probably be a good move for his career cos he'll still be a regular starter but not utterly depended on. 

Fwiw, I adore the guy and would love for him to stay but I think he's more replaceable than say Isak. You can replace Bruno more affordably and with tactical adaptations... but world class strikers are as rare as rocking horse shit for clubs not routinely in the CL.

3 hours ago, Ikon said:

Would rather give him away to City than sell him for 100m to Liverpool or ManU or Arteta. And I wouldn’t like to see him going to city at all, not 1%. 

This , it's weird but seeing him in an Arsenal , Liverpool or Man United top would just feel dirty, it just feels like he deserves so much better than them awful clubs . If he does leave Man City and Pep would be perfect for him.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

The prospect of him leaving is pretty likely really so it's an unavoidable thought. I don't think it's small time; it's just the grimness of the football food chain (and PSR), plus the reality that the player has probably grown faster than the club. 

I still have some hope that we'll get at least another season out of him, but I think the club will feel quite inclined to cash in. I think his cash value is peaking right now because he'll be 27 next season and, tbh, the lad could very well burn out soon given the sheer amount of football he plays, both here and at international level. Man City would probably be a good move for his career cos he'll still be a regular starter but not utterly depended on. 

Fwiw, I adore the guy and would love for him to stay but I think he's more replaceable than say Isak. You can replace Bruno more affordably and with tactical adaptations... but world class strikers are as rare as rocking horse shit for clubs not routinely in the CL.

I personally have concerns over Isak's injury record with us so far, and think he still has something to prove in terms of being categorized within the bracket of truly world class. But even putting those concerns to the side, where are the world class strikers at Liverpool, Man Utd, Villa and Arsenal? Spurs too if we classify Son as a forward rather than a striker. For where we are right now, a lesser player in the place of Isak (for example, even a Toney or a Solanke - neither of which I would be in favour of) would not necessarily place a hard limit on the progression and evolution of the team in other areas in the same way that losing Bruno would.

Forsaking that level of quality and control in midfield in a team already lacking in the ability to retain possession and dictate play is a surefire recipe for a precipitous drop down the table - and I also haven't seen any credible suggestions of a player of Bruno's quality who could come in and fulfil his role in this team. You would have to be damn sure of who you were bringing in as a replacement, and, as we have seen with Tonali, recruitment does not always go to plan.  Worth keeping in mind the transfer market as a whole is being increasingly constricted due to FFP too. 

Edited by Barnes23

@Ikon you know you’re my Jetro Willems brother for life but I can’t for one second get behind suggesting Bruno should leave us this summer. I get what point you’re making but I philosophically don’t agree at all. 

3 hours ago, Ikon said:

For me personally, I don’t mind talking about it, hypocritically, it’s a forum. I don’t lose any sleep over it and not worried in the slightest. Whatever happens happens when it actually does. Having said that, I love the man both as a person and as a player. He absolutely loves it here, but I both think he will and should leave in the summer. That’s thinking career wise, purely. Would be different if he was say 23-24. This summer is the perfect time for him to do so. If he does he will do so with a heavy heart. But also fully deserves it to fulfil his potential and career. 

Selfless; and admirably so. But also a bit depressing regarding the reality of our ‘pull’ and financial clout in the current climate. At the realistic end of ideal scenarios he is the epitome of the kind of player/person who would just dig in, commit and accept he is here for the ride. Here to help make the best of his best years and, in a Sheareresque way, dare to dream of what we could become with his significant assistance. 

5 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

It’s realism imo, I’m not sure how we can convince ourselves otherwise. Bruno would get into Man City’s team and he’s a near perfect fit for Pep, if they come in for him he will go. The simple equation of money and trophies is all any player aspires to achieve, they can offer what we can’t for a few years at least.. we know he appears to like it here but he’d settle in pretty quickly a few miles down the road as well.

We are seasons away from being able to confidently retain players like Bruno during the summer window. And this isn’t negative, if he goes he goes for huge money that will open up alot of opportunities.. we have generally invested well.

Edited by Nine

No wonder the atmosphere at the grounds these days is so poor with all this negativity. Honestly man enjoy the ride and don’t believe all the tittle tattle. Would hate to have to sit beside some of you at the game 🤣

We’ve seen with the relatively modest sale of ASM how much that can open up our budget as well as having greater scope this summer already by not buying in the winter.

We only need to buy a couple of players a window which probably suites EH methodology anyway.

Lets try and get 7th first 󠀠🤞🏻

18 minutes ago, Nine said:

It’s realism imo, I’m not sure how we can convince ourselves otherwise. Bruno would get into Man City’s team and he’s a near perfect fit for Pep, if they come in for him he will go. The simple equation of money and trophies is all any player aspires to achieve, they can offer what we can’t for a few years at least.. we know he appears to like it here but he’d settle in pretty quickly a few miles down the road as well.

We are seasons away from being able to confidently retain players like Bruno during the summer window.

It's realism to think he'll leave to a bigger fish, no question, but I think it's a weird form of sadism to endlessly talk about it happening and who it would hurt least for him to go to. 

Maybe it's just me, I just find that part of it really weird, and it all reads like it's being said by a bunch of post-castration Reeks from Game of Thrones.

All a bit 'it would be an honour to see him play for Arsenal' for me. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's realism to think he'll leave to a bigger fish, no question, but I think it's a weird form of sadism to endlessly talk about it happening and who it would hurt least for him to go to. 

Maybe it's just me, I just find that part of it really weird, and it all reads like it's being said by a bunch of post-castration Reeks from Game of Thrones.

[emoji38] fair enough, but that is your own perception of the subject. I personally don’t get that emotionally attached to players (not saying you do), because its a long road ahead and they will come and go. We should all keep an open mind about trading players.

Like I said it also opens up future positive discussion, as it’s just as important to me how we reinvest big money and move forward as it is to retain our best players. Sometimes you can’t do both.

Edited by Nine

Yeah I don't see it as an outright negative; there are solid arguments for both keeping and selling. I'd be very sad to see him go because he's a truly wonderful player and he's got that magical attribute of 'getting the club'. But selling players at the right time (for the greater good) is something that literally every well-functioning outfit does. I don't think it would reflect poorly on the club at all if we traded him in for a monstrous fee; likewise if we told everyone to get lost and the player was happy to stick around, even better. 

4 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I think he might look an even better player at Man City tbh. They play the game at a slower pace and focus on maintaining possession more which would suit him down to the ground.

I think we play a much faster game which physically probably suits him less, although he still does it well obviously.

Will be hard to replace, but if he doesn't want to stay, then we should definetly sell. Would be awkward to keep him around and have a slow window, and then he doesn't perform like he usually does. If he wants to stay and we don't get a massive offer, then great. As someone said, quality midfielders are really valuable.

1 hour ago, Erikse said:

Will be hard to replace, but if he doesn't want to stay, then we should definetly sell. Would be awkward to keep him around and have a slow window, and then he doesn't perform like he usually does. If he wants to stay and we don't get a massive offer, then great. As someone said, quality midfielders are really valuable.

I’m sure he wants to stay, he is a hero here. But I also thinks he will want to win trophies, and for that he needs to leave. I hope he goes to Real Madrid and fulfils his dreams when the time comes to say goodbye. Our trajectory is too slow to be a superpower during his career. As brilliant as Bruno is, I’m not even sure we play to his strengths, and expect him to kick on again when he is surrounded by better players.

if he does leave, the key will be getting the right mix of players in to progress again, we absolutely can’t spunk it up on dross.