Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

I'm at the point of a Bruno-Joelinton double with Willock as a 10 (who drops back in when out of possession).

I also thought Bruno looked pretty quick against Everton when he was catching up to ASM & getting in the box after the through ball. He's not going to be an athletic powerhouse or anything but enough to be able to handle the league and let his strengths come through.

3 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

We probably wouldn't need quite so much industry in midfield if we could just keep the ball a bit better. Also Bruno seems to be a fantastic passer of a football. Glimpses of a De Bruyne esque ability to play passes perfectly into a players stride. 

Was thinking this too, the effort the lads put in yesterday was incredible but I don’t think the intensity is sustainable. To play with such a press requires we control the game more and I think Bruno is the guy to help us do that. 

3 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

We probably wouldn't need quite so much industry in midfield if we could just keep the ball a bit better. Also Bruno seems to be a fantastic passer of a football. Glimpses of a De Bruyne esque ability to play passes perfectly into a players stride. 

This is the crux of it, for me.  We still seem to struggle to build anything through the middle of the park and retaining possession is an issue most games.  It feels like the opposition regularly have control of the ball in the middle of the park.  Although we are very good at disrupting them high up, whilst also defending very well of late.  We never seem to have spells of dominating the ball and looking in control.    

Shelvey sits on the toes of the centre backs, he is pretty static and it doesn't seem like we're ever looking to form any passing triangles or lanes on the pitch with him. 

Willock is very good at nicking it back higher up the pitch and getting hold of loose balls.  But doesn't really look like someone who is looking to get on the ball regularly.  

Joelinton's best work has been off the ball.  Again, I think like Willock.  He is best at winning the ball and picking it up to then spring a counter, or just lay it off wide.  He's not even a midfielder by trade.  

I guess it is about finding a balance and perhaps horses for courses.  Despite his improved performances.  I still think mid to long term.  Bruno plays instead of Shelvey. 

49 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Would think he’ll replace Willock rather than Shelvey. Hope I’m wrong though.

That would knock the balance of the side right out, and also take away two key aspects which Willock is bringing to the table: Winning the ball high up the pitch, and goal threat.

Shelvey has to be the one who makes way, and that's not a slight on Shelvey. He's been playing well as the sitting midfielder, but that's surely the role Bruno has been brought in for, and he's simply a better player.

I wouldn't look too much into X player cannot be replaced because he does A or B like. Howe can change the system if he needs to, we saw that with Wood and Trippier.

As long as we have enough players pressing when out of possession I think he'll be happy. Our work on the ball can only improve, really.

We cannot just throw Krafth in and expect to set up how we have been as we want Krafth on the ball less, where as we want Trippier on it more. If we have to play more through the middle I would imagine Bruno starts like. Possibly in place of Willock (who might then replace Fraser). We'll see, but i'm pretty confident that it'll be the same again in terms of impressive work rate making it difficult for teams to play, but relying on set pieces or the odd in-play chance to nick the game.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Can’t see him starting anytime soon tbh. I personally wouldn’t change our current midfield 3 right now, not until an injury warrants it anyway. 

Edited by Nine