Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

9 minutes ago, toon25 said:

It's absurd to have someone like him sitting on the bench. The good run is over now, nobody deserves to keep their place week-in week-out, he should be in for Willock or Shelvey.

I guess it was more to do with his travelling and playing for Brazil. 

Not going to lie, I had lost interest in the second half by the time he came on.  So not anything particularly analytical from me.  But the difference in quality between him and the other central midfielders we have is staggering.  Just the fact he constantly shows for the ball and is always on the move is a massive improvement on it's own.  

No idea what Howe's plans are going forward in regards to formation and the midfield.  But I thought Shelvey was utter wank yesterday and his lack of mobility was dreadfully exposed.  He was back to playing on the toes of the centre backs and strolling about.  Bruno might be wasted in a similar role.  But I feel he has to come in.  Whether that is next to Shelvey in a two, or for him.  I'm not really that arsed.  I just hope he plays and starts every game he is available between now and the end of the season.  He is one of the only players that looks to have the quality for where we want to be in the next season or two. 

As good as Joelinton has been I still think we need a top class DM and AM to build a midfield around Bruno because he doesn't score enough goals to play the forward of the three and he doesn't tackle enough to be a top level DM so he needs to fit that middle position.  Both positions don't need filled in the summer but they do in the next 18 months.

It's harsh on Joelinton like admittedly.

Edited by Sima

5 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Everton are in a desperate position though. 

Until we're mathimatically safe, then so are we. I can get why he didn't play (I posted the other day that I didn't think he would), but after yesterday, he's a must from now in. 

Don’t care if he had to swim and sprint back to England from South America. He should be the first name on the team sheet. He’s twice the player of all our other midfielders. Can’t wait until we get rid of Shelvey, entirely. (Not because of the Spurs game alone) 

On 04/04/2022 at 12:04, Sima said:

As good as Joelinton has been I still think we need a top class DM and AM to build a midfield around Bruno because he doesn't score enough goals to play the forward of the three and he doesn't tackle enough to be a top level DM so he needs to fit that middle position.  Both positions don't need filled in the summer but they do in the next 18 months.

Agree 100%

Joelinton has been a revelation and works unbelievably hard (but his quality on the ball isn’t top level and still takes too long at times on the ball before losing it) 

agrre it’s super harsh , and no doubt he is an excellent squad player and can do a great job v lower league teams when we are dominating 

On 04/04/2022 at 12:04, Sima said:

Still reckon Howe fancies him as a number 10 more than a midfielder in a 3. He's only in that 3 because thats where he fits in the system that works with what we've got. Not sure how long itd take to be able to get a Howe 4411 out but reckon he see's Joe as that 10, personally. He's very unwilling to commit to saying Joe is now a midfielder. 

Guest HTT II
7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He added some real quality when he came on. 

I don’t like how he dwells on the ball though. 

If you rewatch the game that’s mostly because no-one is showing for the ball and those that did were being marked or in stupid positions to receive the ball. It’s highly frustrating.

I honestly don't think Joe is a 10. If we do get a top class box-to-box destroyer of a midfielder I honestly think he could go back to being a wide forward. He could own that area of the pitch, and provide a lot of support to the full back on whichever side he is on. 

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

Great shout actually. He’d be really good in that sort of Klopp press/wide role 

No he wouldn't. Klopp requires wide forwards to score goals.

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

If you rewatch the game that’s mostly because no-one is showing for the ball and those that did were being marked or in stupid positions to receive the ball. It’s highly frustrating.

I think sometimes when a good player is in a poor side, you can attribute some of the negative aspects of a game to other playerss. Eg Raphinha only has 3 assists but that's actually down to the lack of finishing from his team mates than his own creativity.

Over here we say ASM attempts too many dribbles when passing is a better option because the other players can't do anything with it rather than ASM will predictably attempt the take-on 8 times out of 10 so teams can prepare for it. Or Bruno dwells on the ball because others aren't available rather than being used to a slower game and taking more touches than is neccessary. I remember when Sissoko was popular on here, people would defend his poor pass % by saying he was attempting to make things happen in a static team. In reality, he's not a great passer and needed a role with less attacking responsibilities so he could play a simple passing game.

46 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I remember when Sissoko was popular on here, people would defend his poor pass % by saying he was attempting to make things happen in a static team. In reality, he's not a great passer and needed a role with less attacking responsibilities so he could play a simple passing game.

The team massively inflated Sissoko's statistics by playing absolutely everything down his side. He regularly passed the ball behind runners causing them to collect the ball in unfavourable places and get tackled. 

It was so infuriating at the time seeing people tout his statistics as a positive when most of the successful passes he made were hospital balls or broke down the flow and most of his runs ended up with him on his arse because he was incapable of changing direction.

55 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Sure, but Joe did score in Germany, and might score in a diff position. The first scour I ever spoke to about him compared him to Firminho and said just don’t lump balls at him. Which we did do. 

He has zero conviction in the final third.  Pass, shot - zero conviction. 

14 minutes ago, 80 said:

Somehow wouldn't be surprised to see him singlehandedly win the Wolves game. Literally drag us across the line.

Can't see it. He's not for now, he's for next season but needs now to get the best from him then (if that makes sense).

24 minutes ago, madras said:

Can't see it. He's not for now, he's for next season but needs now to get the best from him then (if that makes sense).

Makes total sense. But just from what I've heard about his mentality, the cup game in Brazil etc, I can see him being up for this in a big way and trying to drive us on in every way he can. There's only so much one man can do of course... Certainly expecting a tough fixture against them.

2 minutes ago, 80 said:

Makes total sense. But just from what I've heard about his mentality, the cup game in Brazil etc, I can see him being up for this in a big way and trying to drive us on in every way he can. There's only so much one man can do of course... Certainly expecting a tough fixture against them.

I just don't see our present set up getting anywhere near his best. However the experience for him will be invaluable.

I think we were expecting some sort of defensive powerhouse and he’s not really like that.. if I could compare him to any other player it would be more like Modric and that’s exactly how we should use him. He makes space for himself in the same way and keeps things ticking over, but when we’re being overrun he’s not going to prevent that.

We’ll see the best of him when we’re a possession based side. Or is that if we’re ever?