Dan Burn

Rich

Yeah he was absolutely fantastic yesterday like. Got a feeling he'll be class if we feel we need to rotate Botman for the lesser sides, where he'll dominate, but against top quality we should probably just play our marquee signing. 

I don’t think Howe brings in Botman unless there’s a clear reason. He has already showed here that he rewards performances over name or price tag. It will happen at some point but I’m expecting Burn and Schär to start for now.

It's no surprise he's a decent defender or a good character but it's astonishing how good on the ball he is.

He's going to get turned a few times this season and cost us a couple of goals but his all around play is of a very high standard which means we can take sides on rather than sit back. This is invaluable.

I mean this as no joke when I say that Dan Burn will be a good mentor for Botman. Very similar sizes and styles. Hopefully Botman has the pace that Burn doesn't (not that he's slow but I mean proper pace to recover).

36 minutes ago, STM said:

It's no surprise he's a decent defender or a good character but it's astonishing how good on the ball he is.

He's going to get turned a few times this season and cost us a couple of goals but his all around play is of a very high standard which means we can take sides on rather than sit back. This is invaluable.

I mean this as no joke when I say that Dan Burn will be a good mentor for Botman. Very similar sizes and styles. Hopefully Botman has the pace that Burn doesn't (not that he's slow but I mean proper pace to recover).

Howe's repeated focus on character leaves me convinced that Botman isn't going to throw a hissy fit if Burn keeps him out of the first team. He's probably never heard of Dan Burn before, but he'll appreciate a fellow defender doing a good job.

Just mentioning this in response to the idea that he'd be a good mentor.

8 hours ago, Nobody said:

Yeah he was absolutely fantastic yesterday like. Got a feeling he'll be class if we feel we need to rotate Botman for the lesser sides, where he'll dominate, but against top quality we should probably just play our marquee signing. 

Teams who can't handle our pressing game, he's going to be ideal. When they panic and have to lump it, we're going to have a 6'7" giant winning us the ball back aerially most of the time. Someone like Brighton next week for instance who seem very good at playing out, it may be best to go with Botman. I trust Howe to make the right call though.

Guest reefatoon
8 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

He was great yesterday as he was for most of the games he played for us last season. His knowledge of our next opponents might see him start again, it just depends on what Eddie Howe wants.

Botman hasn’t come to play second fiddle to anyone though, be interesting to see when Eddie Howe begins to phase him in. I can honestly see us going 3 at the back at some stage, we were so comfortable yesterday, Burn can do the Targett job.

That also might be how you add someone like Maddison to the team without sacrificing an existing midfield dynamic.

If you play an extra centre back, you are sacrificing a body from midfield, so not sure how that would help if we signed Maddison. Would make it harder

Edited by reefatoon

2 hours ago, reefatoon said:

If you play an extra centre back, you are sacrificing a body from midfield, so not sure how that would help if we signed Maddison. Would make it harder

The clue to what you’re asking was in the phrase 3 at the back 😂

Don't think 2 or 3 CB's will make much difference against Man City, but rather how high up the pitch we push them. None of our CB's has a chance in hell to catch up with Haaland if he is played through.

Guest reefatoon
3 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

The clue to what you’re asking was in the phrase 3 at the back 😂

So who do you drop? You still need your fullbacks (pushed up to wing backs). so who would you drop to fit the third CB in? Somebody loses their place to fit that third centre back in.

Edited by reefatoon

Just now, reefatoon said:

So who do you drop? You still need your fullbacks (pushed up to wing backs). so who would you drop to fit the third CB in?

Willock or Almiron if we're matching the Benitez formation? Bruno & Joelinton in the middle, ASM on the left, Willock or Almiron on the right.

Guest reefatoon
3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Willock or Almiron if we're matching the Benitez formation? Bruno & Joelinton in the middle, ASM on the left, Willock or Almiron on the right.

Yes, and that was my point. @Dr Jinx said three CB's would help get Maddison in the team, but you are removing a midfielder then for that third centreback. That would leave Maddison Joelinton and Bruno fighting over two midfield places to fit that third CB in. My point was in response to him saying that formation would benefit Maddison coming in. 

Edited by reefatoon

Guest reefatoon
4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If you're signing Maddison you'd just play him on the right when we go three at the back?

So more of a wide forward in that formation. Still don't think that would benefit him pushing him out there.

8 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

So who do you drop? You still need your fullbacks (pushed up to wing backs). so who would you drop to fit the third CB in? Somebody loses their place to fit that third centre back in.

Could drop Targett or Almiron,   

Schar       Botman      Burn

Trippier    Bruno   Joelnton   Targett/Almiron

Maddison

Wilson        ASM