Dan Burn

Rich

7 hours ago, Yorkie said:

https://www.nufc.co.uk/nufc-tv/latest-videos/burn-really-proud-of-sixth-straight-shut-out/

"Couple of year ago we'd have got absolutely batta'd." :lol:

Clearly it's not a fluke, but I'm still amazed at how few goals we're conceding. On paper, our back five aren't anything exceptional, and none of our midfield players are particularly good at defending. Last night, Arsenal got right behind our defence several times, but we still kept them out.

It must be all down to good coaching and the finer points of defensive organisation, and it would be fascinating to know how Eddie does it.

13 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Clearly it's not a fluke, but I'm still amazed at how few goals we're conceding. On paper, our back five aren't anything exceptional, and none of our midfield players are particularly good at defending. Last night, Arsenal got right behind our defence several times, but we still kept them out.

It must be all down to good coaching and the finer points of defensive organisation, and it would be fascinating to know how Eddie does it.

Bit of an odd statement! Trippier is one of the best right-backs in the league, Botman is one of the best CBs in the league, Pope is one of the best keepers in the league and Schar is possibly the most underrated CB in the league and has been for years. On paper and in reality, those 4 are class and i say that without any bias at all. All 4 would walk into any side outside the top 5 or 6 and Botman would arguably walk into any team in Europe right now

He’s had a few games where he’s been over ran, but recovered to remain solid for the remainder of the game. He’s been superb for us, yes our game changed somewhat last night to protect him more, but it is a team game after all and he’s been doing that himself since he signed, protecting others. Long may it continue!

13 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Ticking timebomb defending set pieces like. Wish we'd either just have him in the wall or defending corners in the near post 'Shearer area'. 

Excellent yesterday I thought though.

Seems to do it every game. Either he’s incredibly fortunate or he has a good understanding of where the line is. 

Mad that the only penalty he conceded was harsh as fuck.

Our fullbacks have a lot of support from their wide players. One of the fullbacks doesn't attack much either. One of our best attacking outlets doesn't get many minutes because he doesn't protect the fullback enough.

3 of our defenders are decent - great at winning headers.

The central defence is protected by hard working midfielders and we keep a compact shape.

At least 2 of the back 5 are CL level at defending. And 1 is CL level going forward at defending.

18 minutes ago, LV said:

‘A one man mosh pit’

’A broken forklift’

’A caravan caught in a mudslide’

:lol:

“A man having the time of his life”

Perfectly sums up the way he’s playing.  Imagine playing for your hometown club in this era. I’m loving him loving it. So refreshing to see a player in it for the love of playing as much as the payday. 

20 minutes ago, LV said:

‘A one man mosh pit’

’A broken forklift’

’A caravan caught in a mudslide’

:lol:

?? It seemed fitting that Newcastle’s final active part in this game, deep into stoppage time, should feature Dan Burn wheeling away deep on the left wing, bouncing red shirts out of his orbit, cheered wildly by an away support led by a pink, shirtless quivering man who seemed utterly intoxicated by this spectacle, mainlining it, high on that sweet, sweet Big Dan Burn energy. 

inject it!

It seemed fitting that Newcastle’s final active part in this game, deep into stoppage time, should feature Dan Burn wheeling away deep on the left wing, bouncing red shirts out of his orbit, cheered wildly by an away support led by a pink, shirtless quivering man who seemed utterly intoxicated by this spectacle, mainlining it, high on that sweet, sweet Big Dan Burn energy

Had to double take that was written by a man in his 50s like, and not a 14 year old girl.

Absolutely repulsive.

3 hours ago, christ said:

I enjoyed reading that. A bit OTT, but ever since he arrived, I've felt he's had a galvanising effect on our defending, regardless of his individual limitations.

Maybe it's that spirit of 'I know I'm not very good, but I don't care' that frees everyone else up to do their best. 

6 hours ago, Cronky said:

I enjoyed reading that. A bit OTT, but ever since he arrived, I've felt he's had a galvanising effect on our defending, regardless of his individual limitations.

Maybe it's that spirit of 'I know I'm not very good, but I don't care' that frees everyone else up to do their best. 

Typical geordie attitude of I'm fucking class, when you know you're not but simply don't care. 

13 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

This lad, man. Imagine finally making it to your hometown club, and you're fucking class when you get there and the fanbase loves you. 

I don't even know if he understands what a fairytale it is. 

It's that much of a fairytale, when you watch them on film 24 or whatever, you know the film channels that have Christmas films on from September, it ends with a last minute winner in the cup final.......and the kid he donated bone marrow to lives...... and he marries Danica McKellar.

18 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

If he was great he would’ve handled Saka 1v1.  It was 3v1 and Saka still landed some success. 

Must've missed all those goals and assists Saka got yesterday. 

He got in behind Burn a couple of times early on, after that we doubled up on him and he created nowt. Almost like Howe saw what was going on and adjusted the team accordingly. 

1 hour ago, madras said:

It's that much of a fairytale, when you watch them on film 24 or whatever, you know the film channels that have Christmas films on from September, it ends with a last minute winner in the cup final.......and the kid he donated bone marrow to lives...... and he marries Danica McKellar.

That could all still happen!

5 hours ago, Nobody said:

Must've missed all those goals and assists Saka got yesterday. 

He got in behind Burn a couple of times early on, after that we doubled up on him and he created nowt. Almost like Howe saw what was going on and adjusted the team accordingly. 

No doubt Howe tactically adjusted. At times we tripled up on him. He did that because our left back was not having a great game and needed support.  

Burn was a weak link and had A LOT of support.  The Joe’s ran themselves into the ground supporting him. A defensive fullback needing heavy support against his attacker has not had a ‘great’ game. 

I think Saka is a top player. Even 2 against 1 he was retaining possession, winning freekicks and corners and had some success in attack.