Dan Burn

Rich

1 minute ago, TRon said:

He looks a lot more effective when we are sitting deeper like in his first season here, where we were battling relegation and playing a totally different system. If we are going to play a high press then he's obviously one of those who will get exposed real badly because of his lack of pace if we get caught on the counter.

And yet he generally managed fine last season 🤷🏻‍♂️ where we 'checks notes' played a high pressing system. The whole team isn’t functioning well at the minute rather than individuals. Hopefully that gets corrected in the coming weeks

3 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

And yet he generally managed fine last season 🤷🏻‍♂️ where we 'checks notes' played a high pressing system. The whole team isn’t functioning well at the minute rather than individuals. Hopefully that gets corrected in the coming weeks

Opposition managers would have been watching last season you'd imagine, and maybe picked up on where we could be got at when we push up with the high press.

It appears that playing Burn at left back is a fine option if you have a keeper like Pope sweeping. He also needs a functioning press up top to shut down passing lanes and prevent our midfield getting exposed. Currently when we attack we’re exposed because pope isn’t there, and when other teams attack we give them far too much time to get it into midfield and then quickly pass it forward. The whole system is fucked really.

31 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Your use of the phrase ‘generally managed fine’ is pretty key here. While I agree, I think you expect a bit more than that from a full-back. I feel for a while he survived on having lower expectations than others - the reliable midtable CB playing LB and a local lad living his dream unexpectedly etc. 

As well as not offering lots going forward, I don’t recall him having strong wingers in his back-pocket. He just seemed mostly solid with clear limitations and one of them being lack of pace. I think managers eventually found that out and he started becoming more mistake-prone later last season. It’s not a surprise - he’s been a very solid CB imo but way too slow to be dealing with some of the quickest players out wide. Trippier isn’t especially quick either, but has sufficient acceleration and agility that Burn doesn’t have. 

Edited by St. Maximin

3 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

He's terrible at CB and all over the place when it comes to where to position himself.

He did well in season 21/22 there, where he was partnered with Schar and had Targett at left back. Agree that since then he has mostly look out of sorts playing there. Brighton away this season springs to mind? 

12 hours ago, Newcastle Fan said:

How the fuck did Chris Wood turn him like he's Messi.

Was like watching a peak 19 year-old Owen destroying a then-finished Philippe Albert when he got that hat-trick in 98, for the second. So easy. Difference of course is Wood is 32 and never been the sort to skin a defender. 

20 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

I hate to say it but as much as he was targeted today, it was successful because Gordon wasn’t coming back to support him. We’ve seen in the past how critical a properly fit and firing Gordon or Joelinton is to securing that side defensively. I’d argue Miggy being shot on the other side has probably had some effect on Trippier being exposed in recent games too.

The sooner Murphy and Barnes get back fit and Joelinton gets back to match sharpness, the sooner we'll start to regain some of that defensive solidity back. Our wingers being able to support defensively has been a massive factor in that since Howe came here. 

The problem is, we'll never move forward beyond where we were last season with this kind of setup, and we'll struggle to even get back to that kind of level now that the league has generally improved. 

If you look at Liverpool, Arsenal, City and Spurs, their wide forwards are not great at supporting defensively. You don't look at Son, Salah, Saka, Martinelli, Doku and think how good a job they do at reinforcing their fullback. Same for Villa with Bailey/Diaby when they play in a system without wingbacks. 

At some point you need to move away from having fullbacks that need protection from your wide forwards; we have a three man midfield and some baseline protection should be coming from them, but it shouldn't need to be a constant thing which is what happens when Burn is against any kind of half decent player. You end up completely nullifying a player like Gordon if he's wasting energy in our defensive third. 

I'm not having that Gordon is in anyway to blame at all. Burn was absolutely horrific for both of those first 2 goals. Slow down the highlights and watch them back. 

He positions himself right next to Botman unnecessarily and gives Elanga acres, which is ok if you then block the cross but despite a massive head start gets no where near him. Then Schar inexplicably tries to come across when there is no way Elanga can score from that angle unless Dubravka fucks up, and leaves Wood with a tap in. Awful goal to concede. 

2nd goal. He is deeper than the rest of his defence for some reason playing Wood on side. Also turns his back on it and loses the path of the ball when he should have easily been favourite to get to the ball first. Backs off something wild of the mighty Chris Wood and proceeds to get turned inside out. 

He has been awful since being rushed back from injury, just like Longstaff. If either play away to Liverpool, if there are other options available, then I think it's a massive mistake. 

Feel a bit shite saying it but I can't get on board with him at left back at the min, aye he's a massive part of where we started the season, but it  feels like he gets targeted now and struggles with it.

Nee idea what the answer is at the minute like but I definitely didn't agree to him seemingly walking back into his spot after his injury. 

His pace was never an issue, he’s managed to defend against all sorts of tricky pacy wingers for us, all last season. However, he’s getting turned inside out a lot this season, can’t see how it’s sustainable unless it’s to do with him not being fully recovered 

Good signing at the time, and did a great job last season. 

Unfortunately looking like a squad player now, another position we must upgrade if we are going to progress.

Said himself that he'd have ideally had a few more weeks to recover. He's never been mobile but he looked very, very immobile second half.

I thought the shouts to play Tino LB were good but he was absolutely dreadful tonight on the right.

IMG-20240101-221047-338.jpg

A fully fit Dan Burn has the pace to get back and make those two fouls and as a result I don't have a personal grudge for the rest of our lives.

Edited by TBG