Dan Burn

Rich

Massive overreaction to a bad performance. We could definitely upgrade but he's been part of a defence that's been solid most season and we have lost same number of games as Man City and have 3rd best goal difference in league. Just a really bad off day and tbf Villa played well.

It’s not an overreaction is it? Saying that, I haven’t read the football forum in detail since the loss as it can be pretty tiring after games like yesterday. However, Burn has been getting more and more exposed throughout 2023. Many of us have been calling for him to be dropped as he’s been our weakest performer in a string of games. Wheres the overreaction? It’s a reaction based on loads of games, not just a couple of blips in one game 

He's still been part of a team as a whole that hasn't conceded a lot of goals. He's not great and needs an upgrade but has played his part in getting us here. Same as the Longstaff crack, people would probably notice if he wasn't in the team. He helps when Trips moves up pitch Burn slots in at times to make a 3. It's about balance which is maybe why Howe has him in there from tactical perspective. 

He has been making a lot of mistakes though and is limited at Left Back so I get it but just look at team performance as a whole and we have been so good at times.

6 minutes ago, nufc4eva said:

He's still been part of a team as a whole that hasn't conceded a lot of goals. He's not great and needs an upgrade but has played his part in getting us here. Same as the Longstaff crack, people would probably notice if he wasn't in the team. He helps when Trips moves up pitch Burn slots in at times to make a 3. It's about balance which is maybe why Howe has him in there from tactical perspective. 

He has been making a lot of mistakes though and is limited at Left Back so I get it but just look at team performance as a whole and we have been so good at times.

If Longstaff & Targett started yesterday it would have been a different score line, maybe even result. One is essential to the way we play, the other is a liability. 

Both need upgrading in the summer though, that's for sure.

Dan Burn has had a long tiring season at left back. I'd say he's done fantastic and played far more games doing well and been a massive part of why this team has lost only 4 games this entire season.

Of course he's going to come unstuck against pacey attackers at times but more often than not he's held his own.

Burn has been targeted by some managers who have the pacey attackers down his left and he's suffered a few hair raising games.

But so has all the rest at some points.

Botman is a class act but even he's been suffering.

Tripper has also.

In fact all of the team has to some extent. Some a bit more than others but it's going to happen.

Eddie Howe may give him a deserved rest. Burn may not want it. Just like Longstaff was rested.

Considering the position we are in and the players we have I'd say I have zero complaints and I'm more than easy to understand the team as a unit will have bad games because all teams do, including Man City and so on.

We all see things in different ways and respond in different ways. Some see one person as a weaker link than another in all areas. It's what makes debate interesting.

1 minute ago, magvicar said:

Dan Burn has had a long tiring season at left back. I'd say he's done fantastic and played far more games doing well and been a massive part of why this team has lost only 4 games this entire season.

Of course he's going to come unstuck against pacey attackers at times but more often than not he's held his own.

Burn has been targeted by some managers who have the pacey attackers down his left and he's suffered a few hair raising games.

But so has all the rest at some points.

Botman is a class act but even he's been suffering.

Tripper has also.

In fact all of the team has to some extent. Some a bit more than others but it's going to happen.

Eddie Howe may give him a deserved rest. Burn may not want it. Just like Longstaff was rested.

Considering the position we are in and the players we have I'd say I have zero complaints and I'm more than easy to understand the team as a unit will have bad games because all teams do, including Man City and so on.

We all see things in different ways and respond in different ways. Some see one person as a weaker link than another in all areas. It's what makes debate interesting.

The amount of people that don’t know Longstaff had tonsillitis and wasn’t just dropped is properly triggering me. I’ll just put it down to not wanting to read stuff after a loss. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Dokko said:

If Longstaff & Targett started yesterday it would have been a different score line, maybe even result. One is essential to the way we play, the other is a liability. 

Both need upgrading in the summer though, that's for sure.

I disagree. I thought Villa played out of their skin and aptly aided by the ref, plus a fired up to hell crowd.

The only thing we had that offered us a little something was attack wise. The rest was a mixture of little cohesion defensive wise and  I doubt Targett and Longstaff would've helped much more.

It was literally a bad team display aided by Villas (arguably) best display....and, as I said, the ref giving us virtually nothing.

I will say this what I noticed.

Did anyone see Dan Burn in the tunnel before the game started?

He looked knackered. I honestly thought he had some kind of fever or he'd overdone the pre-match warm up.

Anyone else notice this?

The Burn discussion is starting to look a lot like the Wood discussion. Just swap "best defence in the league" with "best form in the league" from end of January last year up until the return of Wilson.

I honestly don't know, and trust Howe to do what is best for the team...but... :lol:

My heart and feels says we'll be a better team with Targett at LB based on how he performed for us last season. He was primarily a defensive full back very much like Burn is now, who stayed a bit deeper to give ASM more freedom. From memory he was extremely solid defensively. He contributed with some nice long through balls for the forwards to run onto, a few nice overlaps and crosses when the opportunity was there, and a provided a different outlet on set pieces to Trippier by being left footed. So with the exception of not being 3m tall, I don't see what the team misses out on by playing Targett, but I can see what we are missing out on by not playing him.

8 hours ago, gbandit said:

That Cruyff turn yesterday was haunting. I’ve seen him do it and he’s fine when he has space but he’s just far too slow to be pulling off those moves when under pressure 

Yep. He needs to cut them out. Gets caught almost every time it seems. 

9 hours ago, Pata said:

His thread deserves a bump too after all the criticism, well played big man.

Was thinking this myself. Big performance, really aggressive. Seemed in his element.

Thought he was coming off after the early goal blitz as looked injured and in agony but shook it off and played on. Quite telling what EH thinks of his importance. Surprised with the scoreline as it was Targett got no minutes.

Noticeable Spurs few first half attacks they aimed for his side yet second half they switched to Trippier’s. He did well with his winger being subbed.

Needs to follow it up with a good performance against Everton if he wants to get rid of the 'worst left back we've ever had' tag.

Edited by TBG

24 minutes ago, TBG said:

Needs to follow it up with a good performance with Everton if he wants to get rid of the worst left back we've ever had tag.

Harsh. I watched Brian Tinnion play.

And Mark Stimson.

• 2 weeks later...

Deserves huge praise for his performances this season and for his attitude. He’s played at his top level

for us and defensively, has generally been really good. However, I cannot wait until we have a proper technically gifted footballer playing there. We just lose far too much by not having a player that can hurt teams at all. If he was good in the air at attacking the ball it could partly compensate for it but sadly he’s not