Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

53 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I said this when we signed him but I think he’s underrated offensively as well, has a decent cross on him and is a solid passer. I think people overlook that because he excels defensively; massive upgrade on anything we had in that position. Wouldn’t be averse at all to signing him permanently.

Until we're planning to upgrade ASM [why would we] then he's the perfect LB for us. Whoever targeted him for the role was spot on.

56 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I said this when we signed him but I think he’s underrated offensively as well, has a decent cross on him and is a solid passer. I think people overlook that because he excels defensively; massive upgrade on anything we had in that position. Wouldn’t be averse at all to signing him permanently.

Agree, plus he moves the ball really quickly as well. Nothing flash, but just quick one touch passes forward which get the ball up the pitch effectively. He's not going to be overlapping like Trippier does, but that doesn't mean he can't contribute to attacking moves. He was one of the best players on the pitch last night, and not all of that was about defending.

3 hours ago, greydos said:

I’m shocked how much I really really like Matt Targett the full back. 

It’s like admitting your favourite flavour ice cream is vanilla. It’s dull as funk and unimaginative, but it’s the simplicity and reliability of it. You know what you’re going to get. It pairs well with sauce, sprinkles and other toppings. Fits well with hot brownies, sticky toffee pudding, crumbles, basically all heated desserts. It enables you to appreciate the flair stuff around it.  

Matt Targett is vanilla ice cream. 

😁 “light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle”

1 hour ago, ScottishMagpie said:

Know it's only been one game but can't understand why villa didn't want to keep him?   What's wrong with him?

Nothing. He's a solid 7/10 week in week out. He was voted the Player of the Season by their fans - ahead of Grealish, Mcginn etc. He's good for any mid table team but he doesn't have attacking output for a top 7 team (where Villa aspire) or defensive output against quality attackers e.g. Mahrez, Salah etc.

For most EPL teams that's more than good enough and when I rated him in the transfer thread I gave him a solid 8/10 which surprised some people. For what we need right now, he's very good.

The Villa fans went crazy when they loaned him to us as although Digne is an upgrade they know he's a reliable performer that they would only accept a sale because as you've seen he's very useful. As for whether we should buy him, depends on how ambitious we are in the summer. If we're after midtable only he'd be a solid choice, if we're more ambitious then I don't think he'll come here to be a squad player - he still has an outside chance for England as 2nd choice LB.

Guest reefatoon

The only down side to him is having to listen to my wife and her shite puns all the way through the match. When he blocked a shot or cross "Ohh, he hit the target" there was an "easy target" this and a "sitting target " that. She went to far though when the commentator said "looking for wood". Mucky sod

Cant say i've really noticed him too much before joining, but if he plays like that consistently he's miles better than I thought he was. seeing him over free kicks as well was a plus, not sure why Villa thought Digne was that much of an upgrade compared to last night performance