Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

2 hours ago, magvicar said:

This is the part of the season where certain players do need a bit of a physical and mental rest. Dan Burn is certainly one of those.

Matt Targett is an easy replacement for Burn and has had long enough recovery time to ease his way back in.

Lascelles should also come in against Wolves because he nullified Haaland and looked decent all game considering his lack of game time..

I agree apart from his distribution which was poor

1 minute ago, andycap said:

Richie coming in for burn could be an option. For a few games until he gets a rest and Targett is up and running again. Free kicks and set pieces might make us expect a goal for once. 

Please no, what a dreadful proposal. 

2 minutes ago, andycap said:

Richie coming in for burn could be an option. For a few games until he gets a rest and Targett is up and running again. Free kicks and set pieces might make us expect a goal for once. 

Fuck me :lol:

I know but there's a reason these players are in the squad. They should be used if needed that's why we have so many players looking fatigued, with us not resting players through the season. 

3 hours ago, 1964 said:

I agree apart from his distribution which was poor

Aye, it'll take a bit of time to get him up to speed but I think he's smartened up a lot under Eddie and co, so it's just a case of him getting a bit of premier game time again and see where it takes him and us.

31 minutes ago, andycap said:

I know but there's a reason these players are in the squad. They should be used if needed that's why we have so many players looking fatigued, with us not resting players through the season. 

The reason they’re there is because of the dogshit recruitment strategy of Mike Ashley.  Lewis for one hasn’t shown he’s a PL class footballer to date. 

Richie :lol: I could see a little argument for Manquillo for Burn, but pretty confident we haven't seen it for the reasons Brown Bottle gives above.

Targett's the one we're gonna have to wait for...

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s a concern that he didn’t even get 15 minutes. Or the 10 that Ritchie got. 

Why though? The backline was performing really well, including Burn, why change it up? Ritchie came on in an advanced position. 

On 08/03/2023 at 12:32, andycap said:

Have you been eating saucesrolls? 

55 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s a concern that he didn’t even get 15 minutes. Or the 10 that Ritchie got. 

I don't think you make unforced defensive changes when you're holding onto a lead and the defense is performing well. I think things might have been different if we were 3-1 up

Edited by Kid Icarus

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't think you make unforced defensive changes when you're holding onto a lead and the defensive is performing well. I think things might have been different if we were 3-1 up

He could come on at LW to close the game out.  All Ritchie would do is close down and keep the ball. Targett can do that. 

If Targett was as important to the squad as I hope he is. He would’ve got those minutes imo. 

I don’t think Howe has any plans for Targett to become #1. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He could come on at LW to close the game out.  All Ritchie would do is close down and keep the ball. Targett can do that. 

If Targett was as important to the squad as I hope he is. He would’ve got those minutes imo. 

You’re overthinking this lad

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Yeah, but Ritchie is a natural winger, and knows how to get into attacking positions, case and point being the Botman chance right at the end, if Botman had left the cross Ritchie was right behind him following him in, Targett wouldn't do that, he'd naturally want to sit further back and be a bit more defensive. 

Targett has also just come back from a long lay-off, and as we've seen from Isak, Howe clearly values getting people up to speed before chucking them into the thick of it, to say its "Clear" Howe doesn't have any plans to make him #1, is a hell of a stretch.