Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

5 minutes ago, HawK said:

Aye, I'm a big Matt Targett fan, I do think he's underappreciated for his attacking play. Defensively though, I do feel both himself and Maxi on the left leaves us vulnerable. I've got images in my head of Targett pegging it back downfield chasing an opponent's counterattack. On the right we've got Trippier, Almiron, and either of Bruno or Longstaff filling in so it doesn't matter so much if the ball is lost that way.

I think Burn keeps his place when Maxi comes back in, even more so than when it's just Murphy or someone else as they're just more effective defensively than Maxi, regardless of his improved out-of-possession effort.

I think Maxi presents a quandary of his own, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. He deserves full credit for his efforts to improve his all round game before his injury.

On your point about the strength of our right, I think a Targett-Maxi left affects that as Trippier having full license to push up and orchestrate our midfield and attack is based around him being able to almost abandon the rear, knowing a) there's three at the back, and b) the right sided offence is based around controlling possession and coordinated movements rather than higher stakes dribbling and unpredictability.

On 24/10/2022 at 07:35, et tu brute said:

Does anyone else think he will be replaced in the Summer and sold. He's hardly even getting any minutes as a substitute. I know playing Burn allows Trippier to get forward, but I just find it strange that he's hardly getting any minutes on the pitch. It was reported that Howe was looking at other options before he resigned. 

I think he’s probably accepting of the ‘if you’ve got the shirt, and are performing, you keep the shirt’ kind of approach Howe (admirably) employs. He knows he’s trusted and he’s part of something great which which happening here. He’ll get his chance. 

Guest reefatoon

We have a system that is working amazingly well at the moment, where Burn can move more central into a back three which let's Trippier bomb right forward. It's just unfortunate on Targett. He'll get his chance again though.

Edited by reefatoon

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I think he’s probably accepting of the ‘if you’ve got the shirt, and are performing, you keep the shirt’ kind of approach Howe (admirably) employs. He knows he’s trusted and he’s part of something great which which happening here. He’ll get his chance. 

I don’t think that’s necessarily Howe’s reasoning. It’s not just Burn’s perfomances meaning he’s not dropped - it’s the tactical option he provides. 

Other coaches will snuff out this tactical system we’re currently employing and Howe will adapt and I think that will bring Targett back into the side. It’s just a matter of time. But you can’t break up what’s currently the best defensive unit in the league and I’m sure Targett sees and knows that too. 

I really don't see anyone snuffing out the system - its deeply rooted in fitness. If fit enough, you can press - most players are not press resistant and will make mistakes. The mistakes lead to chances and goals. Teams who do well against the press have enough individual ability to pass around it and carry the ball forward.  The way it won't work as much is when teams either shithouse, play long/direct and the players up pitch win the 1 v 1 with our CBs/fullbacks and/or we go up against a team who presses like we do and it then becomes another duel-like scenario of matchups. 

Edited by Kanji

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Think he's done here?

Doubt he's gonna be happy not even getting on the bench. He's suffering from botman coming good and burn being a decent option that carries a lot of important aerial prowess. 

He's a decent player, good pro etc but I don't think he'll stick about. Left villa for similar reasons. 

I’d liked to have seen him get more game time generally (in place of Burn who offers less going forward) but it’s a shame for him given the cup games coming up where he’d have been in with a shout of a start or two perhaps. 

Wonder if he’s regretting the move given his main gripe at Villa was game time?

Expect him to go in the summer. Not because he's not good enough, but the opposite actually. He's too good to not play and should leave for minutes - pretty sure when he joined us it was said that he'd signed because he wanted to play. Just unfortunate for him that he's being kept out by a brilliant defensive system.

Listened to Howe's post match interview just now, hadn't realised Targett's apparently been playing through pain with this injury for a while now. So perhaps that helps explain his lack of involvement and form in addition to Burn's performances.

Edited by 80

11 hours ago, 80 said:

Listened to Howe's post match interview just now, hadn't realised Targett's apparently been playing through pain with this injury for a while now. So perhaps that helps explain his lack of involvement and form in addition to Burn's performances.

Yep, Eddie said Targett has been in pain for a couple of months. Let’s not forget the injury he had at the beginning of the season where he missed a few games. This Explains why Burn has been playing in his place

source:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/23222310.newcastle-united-matt-targett-facing-lay-off-heel-injury/

13 hours ago, Minhosa said:

I’d liked to have seen him get more game time generally (in place of Burn who offers less going forward) but it’s a shame for him given the cup games coming up where he’d have been in with a shout of a start or two perhaps. 

Wonder if he’s regretting the move given his main gripe at Villa was game time?

seems like he’s been hurt nearly all season sadly

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

It makes sense that he hasn’t looked quite as good as last year. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them bring a left back in if one becomes available 

I do think after the Leeds game and them doubling up on miggy and coming away with a point then we will be looking for a more attacking trippier quality LB so we have that option on both wings.  Watched an arsenal game over the festive season and they scored one down the left, one down the right and one through the middle - that’s where we need to be eventually.

The flip side of course is arsenal concede a lot compared to us so there is a trade off 

Yeah, I was thinking the same. If someone is available on loan as a stop gap, or perhaps with a view to making it permanent, the same as we did with Targett. Then I wonder if they would go down that route? 

If not, then someone at the right price. As I wouldn’t want us to take a decent chunk out of whatever the transfer budget is for Jan.

That said, Lewis has barely featured and I’m not sure Howe would chuck him in. Games like yesterday highlight the need for a more conventional fullback. 

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same. If someone is available on loan as a stop gap, or perhaps with a view to making it permanent, the same as we did with Targett. Then I wonder if they would go down that route? 

If not, then someone at the right price. As I wouldn’t want us to take a decent chunk out of whatever the transfer budget is for Jan.

That said, Lewis has barely featured and I’m not sure Howe would chuck him in. Games like yesterday highlight the need for a more conventional fullback. 

For me go all out for a Botman / trippier quality more conventional fullback as you say as I feel somebody who can bring our left into play more gives us more options to switch things up with them and burn waiting on the bench. We could really start using the five subs rule more to our advantage in games like yesterday.

38 minutes ago, khay said:

Letting him get surgery as we maybe have someone in the pipeline to sign this month? 

Where does it mention him getting surgery? I can’t see it anywhere 

5 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

For me go all out for a Botman / trippier quality more conventional fullback as you say as I feel somebody who can bring our left into play more gives us more options to switch things up with them and burn waiting on the bench. We could really start using the five subs rule more to our advantage in games like yesterday.

I hear ya. Just wouldn’t want it to effect recruitment in other areas. 

I have no idea what the budget is for Jan or if the constant talk of FFP is a bit of a red herring. But if we were to get say two players for decent money. I’d hope we go for a CM and wide man, first. 

Targett seemed more than good enough last season and I still think he has a role to play going forward. Plus I’m not sure how keen Howe would be to change the back 4 as it is. So we’d possibly be spending decent money on someone who is mainly going to sit on the bench.