Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Made a couple of lung-busting runs in counter attacks too.

Had Miggy done better with that through ball in the first half he would've been in on goal. I was gutted for him. 

Looked a bit off it today. Was left pretty isolated at times. But we annoyingly made Ayew look world class for most of the game and he played a big part in that. Olise got at him a good few times and all. 

First time I can really remember him struggling defensively on a consistent basis. 

He didn’t have Burn covering for him, Botman plays higher up than Burn in that left side of the CB position which leaves gaps in behind. It’s something we are going to have to work out to minimise how that can effect us when the other team attack us down there. I’m sure we will be fine, we did keep a clean sheet after all…

Edited by HTT II

• 1 month later...

Does anyone else think he will be replaced in the Summer and sold. He's hardly even getting any minutes as a substitute. I know playing Burn allows Trippier to get forward, but I just find it strange that he's hardly getting any minutes on the pitch. It was reported that Howe was looking at other options before he resigned. 

7 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Does anyone else think he will be replaced in the Summer and sold. He's hardly even getting any minutes as a substitute. I know playing Burn allows Trippier to get forward, but I just find it strange that he's hardly getting any minutes on the pitch. It was reported that Howe was looking at other options before he resigned. 

I think he’ll ask to leave and we’d honour his wishes. Gutting for him as he’s done nothing wrong, but Burn and the defence as a whole has been too strong to displace. Might change if we have a bad game and he gets back in, Howe seems to put a lot of stock in continuing a winning team, so Targett could conceivably hold down the role if he gets a chance and the defence stays as solid.

Er…no he won’t be sold. Trying to build a squad here! You going into any player thread and whoever it is someone is suggesting they get sold next summer, it’s crazy

He’ll probably get plenty of games this season due to injuries or form, and next season if there’s Europe there’ll be a lot of chances for everyone on the squad. 

The bloke is a solid defender with a good 4 year contract. He will get his moment to push back into first 11 at some point. Good to know we have back up of his quality sat there for when he’s needed imo 

I think Targett and ASM come as a bit of a package deal. At the moment we play as a back 3 when we're in possession with Trippier more or less playing as a RM, so it makes sense to have Burn playing as a left sided CB over Targett who's an out-and-out LB.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured this was worth a bump as it's fair to question where things are going with Matty right now.

Given the way he left Villa, he's pretty committed to playing every week so you wonder how he's feeling right now given the formation we play seems to have changed.

On a related note, is it just me or does he look to have lost quite a bit of weight since he came back from illness? Given he wasn't exactly stocky beforehand. I wonder if it was harder on his body than we realise. They said it was a bad bout for him.

Edited by 80

Alright it's a lot easier for the wealthy to move, but he's just bought a house up here for a canny bit so I think he's here for a while yet. 

Edited by TBG

1 minute ago, TBG said:

Alright it's a lot easier for the wealthy to move, but he's just bought a house up here for a canny bit so I think he's here for a while yet. 

Hopefully so. I like him a lot as a player. Instinctively I don't like people talking about Burn as being a fixture in our back 5, but I can't argue with the results either.

3 minutes ago, 80 said:

Hopefully so. I like him a lot as a player. Instinctively I don't like people talking about Burn as being a fixture in our back 5, but I can't argue with the results either.

Aye - see Burn as filling a gap while Targett was out, but happened to hit form and offer some tactical diversity. Targett back and making  runs to support attack will come around again soon.

2 minutes ago, 80 said:

Aye, I'm a big Matt Targett fan, I do think he's underappreciated for his attacking play. Defensively though, I do feel both himself and Maxi on the left leaves us vulnerable. I've got images in my head of Targett pegging it back downfield chasing an opponent's counterattack. On the right we've got Trippier, Almiron, and either of Bruno or Longstaff filling in so it doesn't matter so much if the ball is lost that way.

I think Burn keeps his place when Maxi comes back in, even more so than when it's just Murphy or someone else as they're just more effective defensively than Maxi, regardless of his improved out-of-possession effort.