Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

7 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

The front three doesn’t really work together somehow. But I don’t even think their midfield or their defence usually looks ‘that’ bad. They were just all over the place tonight. But I never seem to know what their gameplan is when I watch them in Europe? 

Just seems to be leave the front three up. Try and get the ball to them and see if they can win it. 

The front three is never going to be a perfect fit, just because Messi and Neymar have 0 pace at this point in their careers. Three players who do not track back at all (Messi, the oldest and slowest probably does the most defensive work of the three), with two of those being slow players who want to dwell on the ball, is a recipe for overburdened midfield and disjointed play in general. 

Obviously, it was plenty sufficient in this tie, even if they were a bit wasteful. Would be harsh to blame this on any of the big three when experienced world class players were having mental breakdown behind them.

2 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

Aye. Ronnie's last season, Benzema had 5 La Liga goals and in the season after he left 21.

Yeah, he his movement and running was all to the benefit of Ronaldo and ultimately from a team perspective it was the right thing to do

I remember looking at the numbers and the last 2 seasons with Ronaldo he scored at 0.31 per game (0.45 if you look at the last 4 years with Ronaldo) and since then he's up to 0.64 per game 

20 minutes ago, triggs said:

Kimpembe and Marquinhos need to be binned. Embarrassing themselves every year. Particularly bad tonight 

Harsh on Marquinhos. Consistently their best player with Verratti and Mbappe. Not his fault he plays with a donkey next to him. Was shocking tonight mind.

Also, shame to see what Neymar and Messi have become. Past their best. Barely touched the ball in the second half.

Also, Ancelotti tactical changes won this game for them. Fantastic to move to a more mobile central midfield. Unlike Pochettino he wasn’t afraid to sub out a star who was subpar tonight in Kroos.

Interesting that (arguably) the world's best players are largely over the age of 32/33. I know sports science has a lot to do with it, but I can't remember so many class players still performing at such an elite level at the same time and for so many years.

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

Interesting that (arguably) the world's best players are largely over the age of 32/33. I know sports science has a lot to do with it, but I can't remember so many class players still performing at such an elite level at the same time and for so many years.

players are also coming through younger 

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah but Rooney played from very young and he was done at a relatively early age 

He retired aged 35. Hardly the disciplined, clean living prime example though. 

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah but Rooney played from very young and he was done at a relatively early age 

The way he played as a kid and then into adulthood coupled with his less than professional lifestyle away from the pitch I’m sure contributed to that. I think it’s more common for a British footballer to burn out early in their career/get injuries and maybe because as kids they play too much football or don’t play the right kind of football. Our drinking and eating culture is different here too. I’m guilty of it with my boy sometimes, after a game we sometimes go to the scran van parked outside the playing fields or the caffe inside the grounds and it’s burgers, hot dogs, fizzy drinks, crisps etc. My nephew in Germany, he’s just turned 16 at an academy over there and it’s a different culture at youth level on and off the pitch.

48 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Fair point, he has a very significant drop off in ability though. Benzema is looking like he did when he was 25. And he’s been playing since Clairefontaine with Hatem etc 

Benzema, Nasri, Hatem & Fabregas all starred in that U17 tournament. Only Benz is still doing it at the very top.

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Benzema, Nasri, Hatem & Fabregas all starred in that U17 tournament. Only Benz is still doing it at the very top.

Guess who has never played in England… 

31 minutes ago, Disco said:

Still chuckling at last night, the third goal is one of the most amateurish bits of football I think I've ever seen. Only Brazil v Germany comes close.

Flip's man Marquinhos with a great assist for the 3rd

10 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Flip's man Marquinhos with a great assist for the 3rd

:lol: He had a nightmare last night. Still Donnarummas fault that they lost like.

Also Mbappe...overrated. Benzema showed last night who’s best french player in the world this season.