Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

Inter matched Liverpool reasonably well for a large part of the game but the strength in depth of the English clubs is enormous at the moment. Being able to bring Firmino and Diaz off the bench the difference there - whereas Inter basically had nobody to bring on worthy of the fixture.

I know I'm in the minority here but honestly I just find the while thing dull as fuck. The same few teams every year trudging through the group stages until the mega-elite dispatch the normal elite in the knockouts, all played out to a soundtrack of Darren Fletcher's stretched vocal chords. Guess that's no different to any other club competition but I suppose when it's set in Europe there's a hope you might get a bit of variety. You really don't, though, and it's getting less and less varied. 

28 different teams in semis between 1981-91. 18 between 2011-21.

4 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Champions League feels really dull all of a sudden. Quite a few teams are so stale. Feel like I've been watching Modric and Kroos for about 25 years.

It's about 12.5 years if you saw them in their first CL matches, so you don't even need to exaggerate to make your point tbf :lol:  Haven't seen a CL match from start to finish since Barcelona - Man Utd in 2009. As @Yorkiesays it's a boring competition with the same teams every season.

Absolutely valid concerns about the competition itself but there's no doubt that some of the late stage Champions League games in recent years have been sensational to watch, legitimately some of the greatest games of all time.

Hard to see that this year for some reason. I think scrapping away goals will come to be seen as a big mistake when Chelsea are boring the arse off everyone in extra time.

58 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Can't believe James Milner is still playing. 800 professional games. Vividly remember reading the Chronicle at breakfast on the Quayside in frigging 2004, reading about this talented young kid from Leeds joining us. In the years that followed I quite liked him, but he never looked like a player that would go on to win caps, trophies and titles. What was it that Sourness said again? " You'll never win anything with a team of James Milners", wasn't it..? :lol:

He never had a smart enough manager here to realise he wasnt a traditional winger. Often showed how intelligent a player he'd become when he played for us imo, we never used him right though. Maybe he took a bit to mature in to it too, mind.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

He never had a smart enough manager here to realise he wasnt a traditional winger. Often showed how intelligent a player he'd become when he played for us imo, we never used him right though. Maybe he took a bit to mature in to it too, mind.

Was it Keegan who played him more central and attacking and he got MOTM before being sold a week later to villa ?

26 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Absolutely valid concerns about the competition itself but there's no doubt that some of the late stage Champions League games in recent years have been sensational to watch, legitimately some of the greatest games of all time.

Hard to see that this year for some reason. I think scrapping away goals will come to be seen as a big mistake when Chelsea are boring the arse off everyone in extra time.

I think a lot of CL teams are either past their peak, coming close to transitioning, or are transitioning. Barca being relatively shit and the Messi-Ronaldo come down being well and truly underway are probably factors as well.

18 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Just trying to block the pass, surely? Looks like smart defending to me tbh. 

Linekers opinion as well so I'll bow to that :lol:

I can definitely see the other point of view though, pulling his trailing leg in/getting out of the way. 

Edited by Wilson

11 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Aye it was during Keegan I forgot that but I think he wanted out tbf.

No Keegan wanted to play him centrally and build his team around him, but was lied to that he needs to sell Milner if he wants to get Bastian Schweinsteiger in. With that swap on, Keegan agreed (as anyone would) but it was a lie, Ashley offered £5m or something paltry for Schweinsteiger which was laughed off by Bayern. Keegan was fuming after that. 

7 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I can't remember Keegan ever playing Milner centrally. He was always stuck out left where he looked very ordinary. At the time I didn't mind he was sold.

For some reason I recall at the time hearing that he wanted Milner to be the new Rob Lee

43 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I can't remember Keegan ever playing Milner centrally. He was always stuck out left where he looked very ordinary. At the time I didn't mind he was sold.

Played centrally against Coventry (I think?) in what was one of his last, if not the last, game he played before being sold.