Newcastle United 1 - 0 Aston Villa (13/02/2022)

Yorkie

Just now, STM said:

Dubravka 7 Didn't have a great deal to do.

Trippier 8 God. Hope he's not out too long.

Schar 7 He's enjoying Eddie ball

Burn 9 Would head a brick wall, class debut

Manquillo 7 Looked solid before injury

Willock 8 His fitness is outstanding

Shelvey 6 Good first half work

Joelinton 8 Was class again, bullied them

Fraser 8 Tireless

Wood 6 Lacks conviction but grafted

ASM 6 Poor by his standards.

Dummett 7 Solid

Krafth 7 Solid

Bruno 6 Didn't really have time to do much

6 for Shelvey tells me you weren't watching the game and you've just made that all up. My god man ...

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

6 for Shelvey tells me you weren't watching the game and you've just made that all up. My god man ...

He was good in the first half but didn't see much of him in the second. Thought he looked tired.

Credit to the 3 in the middle today, i questioned if the result on tuesday was down to facing a weak Everton midfield, but they dominated villa especially in the first half. If you needed any confirmation, that our full backs were a major part of how terrible we looked earlier in the year, just watch the difference in the 1st and 2nd half after trips and manky went off. night and day. lets hope they're both not out long, and we get Targett back as well.

Today also outlined our weakness in creativity up front. When Maxi is not on his game, its hard to see where the goals and chances are going to come from. Only worry for the rest of the year. Otherwise great result to win that in an ugly manner. Credit to Howe again for his preparation, you can tell he actually plans for the opposition, and tries to nullify their strengths and pick at their weaknesses. What a fucking breath of fresh air after Bruce ball.

Dubravka-7- not much to do, but handled everything that came into the box comfortably today.

Schar-8- really good today again. looked like he'd been in a warzone at the full time whistle.

Burn-9- MOTM. so calm and composed in all aspects. moves so elegantly for a man his size. 

Trippier-8- another day at the office for trips. best player in our squad. shame he got injured, hope hes back in the side soon.

Manquillo-7- great squad player, shame he had to go off. did well going both directions

Dummett-6- still looks off the pace. did his job, but should be targett straight back in next week.

Krafth-6- worked hard, but seems so panicky when he places, charging all over the place. seems to unsettle our backline.

Shelvey- 8- was excellent especially in the first hour of the game. tracked runners well, and played the ball simply and quickly.

Joelinton- 8- absolute monster, getting better and better every week. cant believe this guy was a 40 million pound waste of a forward. 

Willock- 7- never stopped running, finally seems to be picking up some consistent form.

ASM-6- Not at it today. really need another creative threat to give him some breathing space

Fraser-7- works tirelessly and put a few good crosses into the box

Wood- 6- effort is there but thats about it... won some headers today that found our players which was an improvement on Tuesday. But he is terrible technically, and the sooner Wilson is back the better.

Edited by Palestoon

Does anybody else think that little break where the fan was being treated actually did us a world of good? Before then, Villa were way on top and had a goal disallowed by the slightest of margins. It seemed that it let us regroup again and get reorganised, Howe got a few words in on the touchline. Villa never really threatened again for the rest of the game. I am glad it was nothing bad that happened with the fan, too.

Yes 100% that was huge. Gave us chance to calm down and re organise. Same as when Dubs when down 'injured'. Gary Neville said it on commentary towards then end that as a team we are far more street wise than before.

Edited by Mazzy

1 minute ago, BlackandWhite said:

Does anybody else think that little break where the fan was being treated actually did us a world of good? Before then, Villa were way on top and had a goal disallowed by the slightest of margins. It seemed that it let us regroup again and get reorganised, Howe got a few words in on the touchline. Villa never really threatened again for the rest of the game. I am glad it was nothing bad that happened with the fan, too.

The continued breaks in play helped us in the second half. The top teams know when to foul and I thought there was a grit and determination today missing earlier in the season.

after the none equaliser went in - couldn't take any more and grabbed the dog and went for 40 min walk (like I did for the Burnley win).  As I was walking back to the house, all 3 kids were waiting at the window with big smiles on their faces, so lovely to see that they are getting hooked on NUFC........I think :D

Wow, lot of generous ratings. Thought we were pretty fortunate second half. Just like against Watford, we sat back and invited pressure, got a massive warning for the goal but fortunately Villa had no cutting edge.

Dubravka - 7 Not much to do, swept one through ball well and kept a clean sheet. Distribution bad as always. 7 for the clean sheet.

Trippier - 8 Made a few passing errors but was put under pressure a lot with no help. Important goal and offered a threat going forward which pinned Digne back for the first half. 

Schar - 7 Solid with some important interception when he stepped up into the midfield to pinch the ball.

Burn - 8 Excellent in the air and commanded the back line well. MoM for me.

Manquillo - 7 Promising when going forward and solid enough defensively. Like Trippier, because he offered some kind of threat Cash felt wary of over committing when he was on.

Joelinton - 5 Scrappy in midfield and could distribute better when he did win it. Lost possession 11 times with less than 80% pass accuracy. 

Shelvey - 6 Did well to contain the central threat and distribution was ok

Willock - 6 Quiet both ends but won some important fouls to relieve pressure. 

ASM - 4 Offered a little threat going forward but when Manquilo came off, Cash wasn't afraid to go forward and he NEVER tracked back. Threw his arms in the air complaining a lot rather than getting on with the game. Some days its not his day but he can't shirk his defensive responsibilities - all of Villa's threat second half came from both flanks.

Wood - 6 A couple of half chances, won a lot of aerial duels which went to no one but provided an escape route to relieve the pressure sometimes.

Fraser - 7 Most lively of the front three and helped back as much as possible. Look a threat, just final ball could be better.

Krafth - 6 Did well overall but lucky boy to not play Watkins onside. Offered little going forward because Digne pinned him back which invited a lot of pressure down our right.

Dummett - 6 Defensively ok but never went forward which meant Cash had less to worry about and as game grew we looked vulnerable from the flanks.

Howe - 7 We won so he gets a 7 but after 60mins when they had a goal disallowed he should have changed things up, I know we had used 2 subs but we were just inviting pressure. We were lucky that Villa got worse with Ings/Bailey vs Watkins/Buendina. The time wasting and breaking up the play helped us a lot.

Overall a good win set up by a solid defensive display in the second half. Targett back will be a huge plus but we really need Trippier fit as well. 

7 minutes ago, Phoenix711 said:

Howe - 7 We won so he gets a 7 but after 60mins when they had a goal disallowed he should have changed things up, I know we had used 2 subs but we were just inviting pressure. We were lucky that Villa got worse with Ings/Bailey vs Watkins/Buendina. The time wasting and breaking up the play helped us a lot.

Weird take that, it was around the disallowed goal when Howe changed to a back three as before that we where being overrun in the middle of the park, and I know everyone was nervous, but despite the pressure they where trying to apply, Dubravka didn't have a thing to do from that point on. Thought it was good in game management to be honest.

Just back in , great team performance 2 evenly matched sides , gave Villa to much respect prior to kick off and we thoroughly deserved the win .

I thought JL was magnificent, his work rate phenomenal.

Willock getting better with Fraser too 

Burn was a colossus 

I can’t fault any of them , effort is a million times better under EH , you can visibly see the difference in Shelvey , Willock, Fraser and co .

A win I didn’t really have faith in but what a great battling display .

Not a single chance we are going down.

Edited by GWN

13 minutes ago, Phoenix711 said:

Wow, lot of generous ratings. Thought we were pretty fortunate second half. Just like against Watford, we sat back and invited pressure, got a massive warning for the goal but fortunately Villa had no cutting edge.

Dubravka - 7 Not much to do, swept one through ball well and kept a clean sheet. Distribution bad as always. 7 for the clean sheet.

Trippier - 8 Made a few passing errors but was put under pressure a lot with no help. Important goal and offered a threat going forward which pinned Digne back for the first half. 

Schar - 7 Solid with some important interception when he stepped up into the midfield to pinch the ball.

Burn - 8 Excellent in the air and commanded the back line well. MoM for me.

Manquillo - 7 Promising when going forward and solid enough defensively. Like Trippier, because he offered some kind of threat Cash felt wary of over committing when he was on.

Joelinton - 5 Scrappy in midfield and could distribute better when he did win it. Lost possession 11 times with less than 80% pass accuracy. 

Shelvey - 6 Did well to contain the central threat and distribution was ok

Willock - 6 Quiet both ends but won some important fouls to relieve pressure. 

ASM - 4 Offered a little threat going forward but when Manquilo came off, Cash wasn't afraid to go forward and he NEVER tracked back. Threw his arms in the air complaining a lot rather than getting on with the game. Some days its not his day but he can't shirk his defensive responsibilities - all of Villa's threat second half came from both flanks.

Wood - 6 A couple of half chances, won a lot of aerial duels which went to no one but provided an escape route to relieve the pressure sometimes.

Fraser - 7 Most lively of the front three and helped back as much as possible. Look a threat, just final ball could be better.

Krafth - 6 Did well overall but lucky boy to not play Watkins onside. Offered little going forward because Digne pinned him back which invited a lot of pressure down our right.

Dummett - 6 Defensively ok but never went forward which meant Cash had less to worry about and as game grew we looked vulnerable from the flanks.

Overall a good win set up by a solid defensive display in the second half. Targett back will be a huge plus but we really need Trippier fit as well. 

curious to you giving Krafth a 6 and JL 5 .

were you at the game? JL was everywhere braking up numerous opposition build up , he was fucking tremendous.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Weird take that, it was around the disallowed goal when Howe changed to a back three as before that we where being overrun in the middle of the park, and I know everyone was nervous, but despite the pressure they where trying to apply, Dubravka didn't have a thing to do from that point on. Thought it was good in game management to be honest.

Depends how you see it. Was it Villa playing awful or EH making them play awful or a bit of both? They were still getting in down both flanks but they were adamant with crossing it into the box (rather than working it in) and we had 6ft7 Dan Burn to mop up.

I felt we were lucky that Bailey looked undercooked and neither full back drove into the box and instead opted to cross it from deep. If Villa had exploited Cash overload the numerous time ASM didn't track back they could have been in. The breaks in play hindered them a lot but the fact Howe didn't block their main threats, it wouldn't have surprised me if a ball got in and it fell for them. 

It wasn't a game where Villa "deserved" something but it was one where they could have got something had they been better in the final third. 

6 minutes ago, 54 said:

I hadn't noticed the switch. But I did notice the sudden change. It's like Villa just ran out of ideas. The same thing happened inthe Everton game. They went stupid all of a sudden.