Roman Abramovich

Pokerprince2004

Was on Football Daily and they've deleted it for some reason.

It was Carragher talking about Chelsea fans having a pop at him for suggesting Man Utd should go for Tuchel, claiming he's encouraging them to take advantage of the situation.

However, he said all Chelsea have done in the past 20 years is take advantage of other clubs due to the wealth they held, namely Getting Peter Kenyon in, signing Ashley Cole from Arsenal, trying for two years to get Steven Gerrard, getting caught tapping up Sven but being happy enough to pay the fine and appearing in the FA Youth Cup final every year not through their own academy or coaches but by snapping up players from other academies and paying to relocate their families and giving their dads a scouting job.

He basically said yes it's his opinion but its fact and Chelsea fans are hypocritical.

2 hours ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I'm still confused as to how there is any talk about supposed billionaires tabling bids for Chelsea, I thought the club as an asset is frozen and can't be sold. I mean, who would get the money from the sale?!

I believe they’ll issue a special license to sell the club, and one of the conditions is that the money must go into a sort of escrow account; this account being locked from being accessed by Abramovic for the foreseeable future at least.

I'm a bit fucked off for pundits to go "Oh, we need to look at this now and stop this happening, poor Chelsea, reverse the Newcastle takeover".  Now it's gone to shit for a London club you think it should change?  Are they going to give back their titles? No. They went from being sold to Ken fucking Bates for a quid to league titles, cups and champions league, they get to keep all their titles and memories, get bailed out from the fallout and then nobody else is allowed to get a leg-up to the top six in the same way?  They shouldn't be punished for what their owner did? We were punished for what Ashley did for a decade and a half, that's not our fault. Same with "Oh, we don't think owners should be able to sponsor the clubs" now it might give us some money, was fine when Sports Direct was plastered everywhere for fucking nowt. 

Assuming Chelsea don't go out of business and become a mid-lower table premier league club, or even a championship club, I'd have fucking loved us to have been them. I'm 40 now and I'd have loved to have spent my years from 25-now following us in Europe and winning titles, even if it came crashing down in the end.

Just on the Carragher comments, but what percentage of the acrimony over the years about Chelsea and Man City been about them buying the league, and not about the specific sources of their money? Aren't there who've folks been upset about the perceived affect on the league as a competition, not the idea of Drogba etc. being bought with money from an appropriated Russian state asset, what should be the Russian people's money?

Man U, Blackburn, etc. have bought the league before, even Brian Clough was very well backed at Forest, so I am not suggesting this is a new phenomenon. With Chelsea and Man City, it was simply on a take-the-piss scale not seen before. I'm sure it is calculated, but if PIF don't do this at NUFC, e.g., buying Mbappe as they could presumably afford, they will avoid a lot of the spotlight. 

Regarding other clubs poaching Tuchel etc. from Chelsea, I will quote a good Geordie, Paddy McAloon,

"I was the fool who always presumed that, I'd wear the shoes and you'd be the doormat"  

9 hours ago, Chris_R said:

I actually think it would be a really bad look for them to switch horses. They'd get terrible publicity for it.

Plus they'd have to pay £2.4bn more for Chelsea than they did for us. I'm fairly sure that with even half that pumped into Newcastle, we'd be doing just as well.

They also seem really happy here and so far the purchase of Newcastle has gone well. If we were cut adrift in the bottom 3 I might have a little worry, but if we stop up like we look like doing then I cannot see any reason at all to worry.

On top of that the 'Phoenix from the flames' narrative they have around NUFC is worth its weight in gold. Coming back from the dead, doing something never done before in staying up after that shit start, heroes, talismans and legends being born. It's a mint story to tell. Reckon the Saudi fans will lap it up. 

Its better than 'top side linked to war mongering Putin continues to be top side'. 

33 minutes ago, LRD said:

Just madness how bidders are willing to pay over 2bn for a club. How does one justify that beyond it being a morbidly expensive plaything?

Welcome to late stage capitalism. Where the the gilded ones have more money than can be imagined and the poor die of starvation whilst the politicians back pat themselves and talk about GDP. 

9 hours ago, LRD said:

Just madness how bidders are willing to pay over 2bn for a club. How does one justify that beyond it being a morbidly expensive plaything?

Why buy Chelsea?  They don't even have the decent sized ground of most big clubs..  Rather than spending 2bn on Chelsea, why just pull a club out of a hat and buy *rummage* Bradford for nowt and plow £2bn into it, instantly making them much better than Chelsea? I mean if you want a London club pop down the road and buy Fulham.

End of the day, if Putin hadn't gone to war, Abramovich would still own Chelsea and nobody would care he owned a steel manufacturing plant aiding the Russian Military (even if it had already invaded Chimera). That's the fickle nature of football and those who follow and report on it. It's all too fucking tribal to have any rational thought. Seemingly it was cool to have this Russian Oligarch operate freely for 20 years, and still would be if not for Putin's invasion. It seems like people are mourning the fact he's no longer owner of Chelsea, which is just odd. 

When he arrived it was like an open-secret he was some Putin buddy with questions hanging over his acquired wealth, but people just shrugged it off. 

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, BlueStar said:

Why buy Chelsea?  They don't even have the decent sized ground of most big clubs..  Rather than spending 2bn on Chelsea, why just pull a club out of a hat and buy *rummage* Bradford for nowt and plow £2bn into it, instantly making them much better than Chelsea? I mean if you want a London club pop down the road and buy Fulham.

They could have bought Chelsea anytime they wanted really, they effectively paid over 1.3bn for us, again, I have friends originally from SA and other Arab nations and when it comes to this kind of stuff, making say NUFC the biggest and most successful club in the world over buying an already (one of the) biggest and most successful club’s and just maintaining that is considered almost like a failure or rather like buying a second hand car when you can afford a new one. It’s also a lot more to do than just about sporting success, it’s about land, investing in the wider region and other sporting objectives that NUFC will be the hub of. The fact AS, her husband and JR are on board is significant, they specifically wanted such people for those very other reasons. They could have just bought us 100%.

10 hours ago, LRD said:

It's mad that Abramovich has had the club as a plaything for 19 years, ploughed enough money into them for them to win every major trophy available in that time, has no option but to sell, yet it is still looking likely to be sold at a profit of somewhere in the region of £1 billion over the £1.65 billion he spent buying and financing the club.

Edited by Jackie Broon

Guest HTT II

As a brand, a business, Chelsea are easily worth what they will likely go for. You’re talking about a Pepsi of football. With big business and especially sport, it’s not about making money and turning a profit. Not many businesses actually make money in real terms, for shareholders maybe and of course those at the top in the boardroom, but money in the bank… nah!

1 hour ago, BlueStar said:

Global “infrastructure” already in place? You’d have to do the heavy lifting to convince randos in Asia, Africa, and North America that Bradford and Fulham are among the “big boys” now.

Or you can pay the £2b and slide right in to Abramovich’s shoes.