Roman Abramovich

Pokerprince2004

Guest neesy111

This valuation for Chelsea is ridiculous OTT.

It's no wonder why Ratcliffe despite being a Man Utd can't buy them.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

Football club valuations really confuse me (not difficult I know). Are Chelsea really worth these sort of figures whilst we sold for around £300m?

There are so many variables, it’s about the brand, Chelsea are arguably one of the top 10 football brands in world football, think of a top food brand, or a top movie franchise, it’s not always about turnover and profit, especially the latter, it’s about the asset. NUFC for 300m is a steal as SJH recently said. Are they worth that? NO. But as a brand, as an asset, to have Chelsea in your portfolio is like having Tesla or McDonalds. Also, it needs to be noted, most business actually don’t make any money and lots run at a loss, but if you can sustain a business in terms of being viable every year after post losses etc. then even at a loss, if this makes sense, proves a viable business ongoing. Chelsea are current Champions League holders, former multiple Premier League champions and have an FA Cup final to come, hundreds of billions of TV viewers. I’d be worried about the American aspect of things if I was a fan mind, but I think we haven’t heard the last of an ESL and sadly I think NUFC will be in the debate over that…

51 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

Football club valuations really confuse me (not difficult I know). Are Chelsea really worth these sort of figures whilst we sold for around £300m?

I’ve struggled with this as well. I understand they’re a far better, more established team

with better infrastructure but the price difference is huge.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

If you were Mike Ashley right now would you be kicking yourself at only selling us for 300 million after seeing this?

We are probably a billion pounds behind Chelsea right now in terms of just investment into the playing team and gradual off pitch investment, long-term we can be a multi billion pound brand/asset.

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

If you were Mike Ashley right now would you be kicking yourself at only selling us for 300 million after seeing this?

I honestly think he's too thick and short sighted to realise the opportunity he wasted for a long time. Like, until he starts being handed articles listing the club as being worth ten figures.

Until then he'll be too busy using that £300m to fap himself silly with over that dream of his of saving the high street.

55 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

It was only 12 months ago we were all complaining that Ashley valued us too highly and was pricing buyers out of the sale.

2 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

Been given the nod/wink the ESL is still happening. Only reason anyone would cough up that amount. Unless they were money laundering or, er, sportswashing :)

This is a big indicator that it’s going to happen.

1 hour ago, St1pe said:

I’ve struggled with this as well. I understand they’re a far better, more established team

with better infrastructure but the price difference is huge.

They've been one of European football's top dogs for nearly 20 years, they're one of the most attractive brand partners in sport and they have a spot waiting for them if (or when?) the ESL rears its ugly head again. I can see why buying an established asset (and I hate referring to football clubs as "assets" but I guess that's where we are these days) is considerably more attractive than buying a project you have to build from the ground up (like us) with no guarantee that you're going to reach the heights you want to reach.

3 minutes ago, toon25 said:

They’re constrained by planning restrictions to expand that stadium too iirc. What does Stamford Bridge hold now, 40k? 

Part of the total price includes that they are committed to spending £1bn on infrastructure redevelopment including the stadium. 

4 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Part of the total price includes that they are committed to spending £1bn on infrastructure redevelopment including the stadium. 

Isn’t Stamford bridge still quite restrictive because it only has 1 main entrance and 1 smaller one, and even with a new build there is no way changing that, meaning the crowd has to go in and come out 1 way?

Amazing how the football world pans out.  I remember Chelsea coming up with us from div2 in 83-84? And being a pretty run of the mill team. Add one billionaire and they become a major player in world football. 
I wonder if we’ll do the same?

The Chelsea ground is probably worth a Billion in land due to its location. Do they also own the harbour area and hotel?

16 minutes ago, RS said:

Amazing how the football world pans out.  I remember Chelsea coming up with us from div2 in 83-84? And being a pretty run of the mill team. Add one billionaire and they become a major player in world football. 
I wonder if we’ll do the same?

The Chelsea ground is probably worth a Billion in land due to its location. Do they also own the harbour area and hotel?

They do not own the land, nor do they even own the name of the club, a supporters trust does, and if they moved from that site they will threaten to stop allowing the club call themselves Chelsea.

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

They do not own the land, nor do they even own the name of the club, a supporters trust does, and if they moved from that site they will threaten to stop allowing the club call themselves Chelsea.

Could be another case like MK Dons and Wimbledon AFC I suppose

It's crap for the league that it'll be another American led consortium, they'll be pushing all the more for changed to our league and game to make it more like the MLS. So many things with this transaction that make you sick, the fact it can be rushed through, unscrutinised in a matter of weeks when ours took years. The fact the government are forcing special treatment, the ridiculous valuation, the media wank-fest and justification. One thing I'm not sure of, does Abramovich get his massive wedge from selling the club? Or is that frozen from him? What's the point of sanctioning him if not?

2 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

It's crap for the league that it'll be another American led consortium, they'll be pushing all the more for changed to our league and game to make it more like the MLS. So many things with this transaction that make you sick, the fact it can be rushed through, unscrutinised in a matter of weeks when ours took years. The fact the government are forcing special treatment, the ridiculous valuation, the media wank-fest and justification. One thing I'm not sure of, does Abramovich get his massive wedge from selling the club? Or is that frozen from him? What's the point of sanctioning him if not?

The proceeds from the sale are going to "charitable causes" so no, Abmramovic isn't getting a penny. Apparently.

1 minute ago, Armchair Pundit said:

One thing I'm not sure of, does Abramovich get his massive wedge from selling the club? Or is that frozen from him? What's the point of sanctioning him if not?

Abramovich gets absolutely nothing. The money to actually buy the club (£2.5bn?) is put into a special frozen account and then is only released on government say so to the charities that will be specified. He also writes the £1.5bn debt off that the club owes to him. 

You might want read about the man and what he said in 2019 in Bloomberg about football before making a randomly generalized view of Americans owning football teams.