sunderland in the EFL

Big River

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Funny seeing them sneering at the likes of Blackburn, Stoke and Boro because other than stadium size, they're at least on par if not better than the modern era Sunderland AFC.

They literally refuse to accept their position in the football pyramid these days. They're massive according to themselves yet Stoke nicked their manager and could possibly nick the main striker too. 

I just find it so strange that everything points to them being an average championship side, no more no less. But in their heads, with their made up attendances they're absolutely huge and anything like Stoke nicking your manager or boro/stoke/Blackburn nicking your main striker is just laughed at by them, as if the person who's left them is an idiot for doing so.

Edited by Scoot

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Funny seeing them sneering at the likes of Blackburn, Stoke and Boro because other than stadium size, they're at least on par if not better than the modern era Sunderland AFC.

Don’t know about Stoke/haven’t checked but Sunderland’s average league finish (since 1992-93) is 25th (best 7th, worst 52nd). Blackburn’s average is 19th (best 1st, worst 46th). Boro’s average is 21st (best 7th, 36th). Might have saved time just saying you’re right! ? 

Guest reefatoon

Oof, what about the whole entire world who have been lobbying to watch the mighty Sunderland and their super strikers games live on sky. World outrage if he leaves.

2 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Weren't we in a similar situation 2 years ago? I could never understand why one or both of us had not been taken over before now, given the large support of both clubs. 

Well we had a maniac in charge who changed his mind every 5 minutes and all they have is on-paper crowds (crowds which don't turn up, but are still counted for, and when they do turn up spend fuck all)

8 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Jerry Yates is a half decent striker at that level. Be a good replacement. They are certainly buying (and loaning) a lot better these days.

Yates has 8 goals in 42 appearances this season. Stewart has 7 in 9. It’d be a huge change in ability for them. 

4 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Yates has 8 goals in 42 appearances this season. Stewart has 7 in 9. It’d be a huge change in ability for them. 

That's last season. He's 9 in 23 this season in a dogshit Blackpool side.

I see one of them questioning how Boro can afford better wages when the milfs get bigger crowds?

No idea what the matchday revenue is in Boro but I'm assuming thats part of the answer (also Gibson is a better chairman)

1 minute ago, sleazy said:

I see one of them questioning how Boro can afford better wages when the milfs get bigger crowds?

No idea what the matchday revenue is in Boro but I'm assuming thats part of the answer (also Gibson is a better chairman)

The question they should be asking each other is 'why can't our chairman and (fuggen massive) club not match the offers of other clubs in the same division?'

Once they start to dig into the reasons why then the penny has a chance of dropping. Until such though time occurs though I'll carry on giggling quietly from a distance :lol:

53 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Weren't we in a similar situation 2 years ago? I could never understand why one or both of us had not been taken over before now, given the large support of both clubs. 

I can’t think why we were more attractive for a takeover rather than them and their fake attendances?  
image.jpeg.64df326bfc76818bf084a89e96fbf7e9.jpeg

image.jpeg.50055a57eb4fa790fd41d8770bbde97e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ce604d718a59b6a5f60bd46d2cbc8762.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c1debac362b94047ed45dcc0fc336c74.jpeg

Edited by RS

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

So they've altered the 'big club' parameters to suit again.

As ever European and 3rd Division football don't count, but strangely most recent trophy (heavily featured with regards to ourselves) also doesn't count this time whilst attendances (ignored with regards to ourselves) is a key factor now.

I'd rather just admit I was average and get on with life.

3 minutes ago, Jonas said:

So they've altered the 'big club' parameters to suit again.

As ever European and 3rd Division football don't count, but strangely most recent trophy (heavily featured with regards to ourselves) also doesn't count this time whilst attendances (ignored with regards to ourselves) is a key factor now.

I'd rather just admit I was average and get on with life.

So Wigan and Swansea are bigger clubs than Sunderland these days is that correct?

They'll continually move the goal posts to suit whatever arguement it is they're pushing at that particular time.

Edited by Scoot

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

It'd be like pre-takeover us trying to convince ourselves we were bigger and better than the likes of Brighton, Palace, Southampton when other than support, it'd have been bollocks.

When we were what they are now 90-92 a middling second tier club with no prospects, we expected to lose players to clubs like Forest, Derby, West Ham and first division clubs because they were doing better, for all our attendances (an all time low) were comparable and games against them were bigger than normal games.

The tone around the place matched what we were. Even when we were instilled as favourites to get promoted in 91/92 the fanbase scoffed at it. There was a feeling of 'why can't we do that' but it was even considered a success to keep Gavin Peacock from moving to Middlesbrough because of the then climate.

2 hours ago, Manxst said:

“Why would he go to the likes of Stoke?”

well, the manager did, after all….

Why would he go to Stoke?

Have you took a look around the shit hole you live in? :lol:

They are thick as fuck in RTG. On one of their threads the other day about the SOL one of them was saying he’d wish the capacity was 30k-35k which is what they can realistically achieve consistently. He was obviously beeeewww’d out of the place. Another guy was saying they should half the ticket price and have a 60k capacity. Obviously he just wants to have more than us.

They have just came up from League One by scrapping their way up at their 4th attempt. They are only doing so well at the moment because they have a striker in form and the rest of the league is tight as fuck right now. They will still do well to stay up, despite their position now, and they are thinking they are biggest club in there again. Again like others have said, in recent times Blackburn, Boro etc all have a claim to be as big or bigger than them.

A big problem for them now is us. They right now have an owner rich enough so they should never be in danger of financial trouble. However as time goes on and he doesn’t sound all his money on them, they’ll get restless and try to push him out, especially if we get successful. The thing then though is that no one is going to buy them when their nearest neighbours are becoming successful and have the whole area locked down on fans. A stadium that at anytime can only realistically achieve a consultant crowd of 35k, 2/3 full is not going to temp anyone. No one will want to go near them. In all honestly the Man City sale was remarkable, even then I think it was a case of other Premier League clubs being higher up in their agenda and not available (thanks Mr Ashley) and the whole financial situation where Man City at the time had to be sold.