sunderland in the EFL

Big River

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

Maybe I'm missing your point but what's wrong with that? if you're busy at the weekend, is the seat supposed to just sit empty? Surely everyone gives their ticket to someone else occasionally? Be stupid not to, and stupid of clubs to prevent it or we'll never have a full house again.

I imagine very few people can absolutely guarantee they'll be available for every match. Holidays? Work? Sickness? Other life events?

I'm not sure of the ins and outs of it, but my take on this digital card thing is that its a response to them finding out they're losing Matchday revenue. 

There doesn't seem to be any other logical reason for doing it, unless they're so skint that printing and logging 20,000(?) bits of plastic is a massive haemorrhage of money for them? 

Possibly, as a lot of them received cards without anything on them in a hand-written envelope.

No covering letter either :lol: 

Edited by Sima

For the majority of people I fail to see what the problem is about having a digital season ticket.

Yeah ok give the physical option for people who resist against smartphones and for other reasons.

It’s a bit like your bill or bank statements are all paperless now and you have to ask for the physical ones if you want one.

As with anything though, there is always a group of people waiting to kick off.

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

For the majority of people I fail to see what the problem is about having a digital season ticket.

Yeah ok give the physical option for people who resist against smartphones and for other reasons.

It’s a bit like your bill or bank statements are all paperless now and you have to ask for the physical ones if you want one.

As with anything though, there is always a group of people waiting to kick off.

If you know the only way you're getting in is by showing a QR code on your phone it will create a level of anxiety in some people as there's all sorts of things that could go wrong. Hell, I'm (very slightly) nervous about a £6.40 bus ticket on my phone in case my battery runs out or my phone decides to die for whatever reason. You also need to connect to the internet every now and then to verify, and that's not always possible (in the biggest business park in the area, of all the places). I'm assuming it's the same with a digital match ticket to avoid screenshotting the code etc and we all know how cack the connectivity anywhere near SJP around the match is.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

8 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

If you know the only way you're getting in is by showing a QR code on your phone it will create a level of anxiety in some people as there's all sorts of things that could go wrong. Hell, I'm (very slightly) nervous about a £6.40 bus ticket on my phone in case my battery runs out or my phone decides to die for whatever reason. You also need to connect to the internet every now and then to verify, and that's not always possible (in the biggest business park in the area, of all the places). I'm assuming it's the same with a digital match ticket to avoid screenshotting the code etc and we all know how cack the connectivity anywhere near SJP around the match is.

They’ve said it’ll be the same as using your card on Apple Pay etc, where it stays in your wallet rather than a QR code. Not sure what this means for passing your season ticket in for a game you can’t attend as it is not covered in the FAQ’s posted on RTG. 

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I see the werld class glass centre is to shut, due to the external glass of the building being unsafe. 

Hang on....   the external glass on a building designed to show case the terrific glass industry in Sun'lun is unsafe and has caused the closure of the building?

Unbelievable.....  :cheesy:

55 minutes ago, pinkeye said:

Hang on....   the external glass on a building designed to show case the terrific glass industry in Sun'lun is unsafe and has caused the closure of the building?

Aye. Possibly for good as well. You'd think theyd be able to sort it out, but as usual, someone else should do it for them. ? 

Just now, Dokko said:

Aye. Possibly for good as well. You'd think theyd be able to sort it out, but as usual, someone else should do it for them. ? 

Aye they were whinging on their forum about some new building getting approved for construction in Sunderland city centre whilst the glass centre is knackered. Thick as fuck 

1 hour ago, pinkeye said:

Hope they aren’t making Brexit pint glasses in Sunlun with the Crown on the side.

2 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Appreciate, like introducing any new, they’ll be a degree of trepidation from some, but people will get used to it (possibly after some teething troubles to start) as it really doesn’t take much, even for the least tech-savvy. 

It’s definitely the direction of travel for future ticketing. I’d be amazed if every club in the country getting 20k+ gates isn’t near the enough digital-only within 5 years (for home games at least).

10 minutes ago, SteV said:

Appreciate, like introducing any new, they’ll be a degree of trepidation from some, but people will get used to it (possibly after some teething troubles to start) as it really doesn’t take much, even for the least tech-savvy. 

It’s definitely the direction of travel for future ticketing. I’d be amazed if every club in the country getting 20k+ gates isn’t near the enough digital-only within 5 years (for home games at least).

I wonder if that is how clubs stop fans selling away tickets on, loading them onto the same device as the season ticket. 

2 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

I wonder if that is how clubs stop fans selling away tickets on, loading them onto the same device as the season ticket. 

Ultimately, yes, technology has always been the answer. 

Will be more tricky to implement for away tickets though, as you’re dependent on the home stadium having compatible technology. You would think it wouldn’t be a problem across the major teams (although I say that without any knowledge of whether different ‘types’ of QR codes/NFT’s or whatever are easily scannable across different software?).

Would seem a lot more problematic if and when we play smaller teams.

Should at least make the touting of home tickets harder though.

It'll be interesting how complex they make the QR code, the SRU (Scotland Rugby Union) have a digital ticket app, with a rotating QR code - so no screenshotting - but  the app allows for the legitimate transfer of a purchased "ticket" to another registered user that has the app. 

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Yep, we're living in a transitional period of time where we've got those who have never used tech and never will who are holding back the innovations for the rest of us.

Neither side are wrong and deserve to be screwed.

20 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Yep, we're living in a transitional period of time where we've got those who have never used tech and never will who are holding back the innovations for the rest of us.

Neither side are wrong and deserve to be screwed.

I’m making assumptions here, but I think the number of people who regularly attend, that would face significant challenges with digital ticketing, has to to be a very small percentage. Small enough that any club should be able to work with them individually to find a solution.

They’ll be plenty more who will moan and feel put out by it, but ultimately can adapt easily enough, however begrudgingly, and they’ll just have to get on with it.

It does provide another handy excuse, alongside wedding season, holidays, shift work, etc.

Official crowd figure 40k, actual crowd 30k, but HUGE numbers of confused pensioners fumbling with their tv remote controls/Nokia 3310’s by the turnstiles trying to find out how to get in

Edited by Crayola Kid

3 hours ago, Crayola Kid said:

It does provide another handy excuse, alongside wedding season, holidays, shift work, etc.

Official crowd figure 40k, actual crowd 30k, but HUGE numbers of confused pensioners fumbling with their tv remote controls/Nokia 3310’s by the turnstiles trying to find out how to get in

52,000 screaming pensioners locked out marra 

Edited by Izakaya

7 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Down to 11th. Next 4 games against teams all around promotion, including the top 2. 

Tough month for them. 

Even if they end up mid-table come May - it will still have been a good season for them. Many of us here thought they were relegation fodder, last summer.