Pre-season (2024/25): Hull City (a) (27/07) added to schedule

bowlingcrofty

Looking forward to seeing something like our first XI, impossible to judge too much on these two games. The good players were largely good, the usual suspects were below-par.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

We need to get players in, and people are trying to shift some of the capable ones out. My God man :lol:

To get players in we also need to create space, Shelvey is out of contract next year and our midfield options ahead of him are solid. Wouldn't be missed.

To make what I think are a series of sensible observations:

- we look very comfortable moving the ball side to side

- full backs very involved 

- step down from Bruno to everyone else is very noticeable 

- Anderson looked good

- Murphy, Fraser and trippier were poor 

- wood did nothing but Wilson didn’t do much more 

- we didn’t make too many good chances 

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

We need to get players in, and people are trying to shift some of the capable ones out. My God man :lol:

People are talking about loaning out Maxi and getting rid of Shelvey again today. Like imagine looking at our squad and thinking that's the solution :lol:

We knocked it about ok, but there was no urgency. When we needed to make a simple pass we played through a load of opposition players and ultimately lost the ball.

Just no decision making at all, and a few players showing that they are nowhere near where we need them to be.

Mainz conceded less than Dortmund and Leipzig last season btw, and only 8 more than Bayern.

Decent defensive side and we controlled that game - mistake for the goal and lack of sharpness in final third but Howe will be pleased with the pressing and intensity in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Nine said:

Shelvey was consistently good post Bruce last season, clueless to suggest otherwise 

Yeah, and we can't replace everyone instantly. His biggest problem has always been his conditioning and mental side and I'm pretty comfortable in saying Howe has fixed those problems.

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Amen

Or people have only watched Shelvey when we are in possession. Not what he is doing off the ball. Plus he needs time and space to create anything. A reason why he goes brutally deep more often than not.

3 minutes ago, Nine said:

Shelvey was consistently good post Bruce last season, clueless to suggest otherwise 

Also looks like he came back in ridiculously good shape. People just cannot let go of their previous bias when it comes to certain players, no matter what. It's so childish man.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

One of those performances by Murphy that makes you think you could do about as well as he did.

Yeah, he was poor and as much as I defended him in the past, he needs to be moved on.

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

We knocked it about ok, but there was no urgency. When we needed to make a simple pass we played through a load of opposition players and ultimately lost the ball.

Just no decision making at all, and a few players showing that they are nowhere near where we need them to be.

The weather almost certainly played a part.

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I did. Him chasing ghosts when playing better players. Not dynamic enough. Also when put under pressure from better sides he struggles to do anything of sort of come out of difficult situations. I have watched him very closely during many games. When he goes too deep then he does some things well but then we lose an option when he goes so deep because he’s playing as a QB

i don’t know what “do anything of sort of come out of difficult situations” means. Otherwise, he’s legitimately one of our most dynamic players - he can do things with a ball and spots runs into space which very few players can. He’s technically a very adept footballer. I wouldn’t say him going too deep is some form of character flaw, he was instructed to play there by consecutive managers. I agree that he’s not good defensively and there are times where he doesn’t chase and compete defensively as much as he should.