Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

42 minutes ago, Kanji said:

One of those where if clubs outside the top 6 were fine with it, surely the managers for the most part were fine with it, so, and this sounds insane - I know -  maybe they know more than the common fan?

bruce aside. 

Without fans/supporters, there is no game. Tinkering with something not needing tinkering with alienates said fans.

Anyways. I am old and resistant to change for the sake of change. :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Nobody said:

It's arguably worse than VAR, and I fucking hate VAR. It makes so many games in the last 20 minutes feel like friendlies, especially if the better team is in a winning position. 

Completely aligned with you, mate.

17 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Let’s wait for the stats to show if it was good or not, using reasoning because “That’s the way it was” is not really proving anything for me. 

Which stats do you expect to prove owt here? I'm talking about the flow and pace of the game, nothing any stats could show being better or worse.

My team in Sweden won 13 out of 15 home games, drawing the other two, last season with the 5 sub rule and I can tell you it's absolute shite. When winning, it becomes too easy for the better team make a couple of double subs which disrupts the game and puts fresh legs on and makes it too easy to hold on to the lead.

2 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Which stats do you expect to prove owt here? I'm talking about the flow and pace of the game, nothing any stats could show being better or worse.

My team in Sweden won 13 out of 15 home games, drawing the other two, last season with the 5 sub rule and I can tell you it's absolute shite. When winning, it becomes too easy for the better team make a couple of double subs which disrupts the game and puts fresh legs on and makes it too easy to hold on to the lead.

I guess that makes it a premium on being the deeper team. Let's get on it then.

49 minutes ago, Nobody said:

It's arguably worse than VAR, and I fucking hate VAR. It makes so many games in the last 20 minutes feel like friendlies, especially if the better team is in a winning position. 

Yup. First experience I had of it was in Norway the other month. Awful. Nee less subs aplenty trying to kill the game.

Especially given how players are more conditioned and fit than ever. 

3 hours ago, Nobody said:

Really don't know how the rules been voted in tbh clearly going to massively favour the top 4 teams making it even harder to get a result against them.

Guest HTT II

I’d make it a rule that of the 5 subs, 2 have to be academy/youth players. 

Edited by HTT II

Just now, HTT II said:

I’d make it a rule that of the 5 subs, 2 have to be academy/youth players. 

Was there anything wrong with 3 subs though? Seem like we are fucking around with things when it isn't necessary. Makes it more tactical and id think games better for the fans it's going to be harder to turn a result against a better team if they bring on 5 top class players to see a game out.

I just cannot see any advantage to a side with a poor bench (we've seen many of them) over one with £200m worth of talent, optimally trained and in peak physical condition, cocks up and ready to fuck an ageing and tiring Championship quality defence raw.

9 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Was there anything wrong with 3 subs though? Seem like we are fucking around with things when it isn't necessary. Makes it more tactical and id think games better for the fans it's going to be harder to turn a result against a better team if they bring on 5 top class players to see a game out.

Didn't see anything wrong with 2 subs. And I'd make it out of a bench of 3.

13 hours ago, Kanji said:

I’m certain the coaching staff have these lads hooked up to the health monitors and they aren’t allowing any of them to exceed any pre determined red zones or risk points. 

And getting these poor boys their inhalers post-match. ??????

27 minutes ago, Cronky said:

We seem to have two teams, with not that much difference between the two in terms of overall quality. 

Bodes well for a cup run.

Really ? I think when you go past our starting 11 the gulf in quality is absolutely massive?

2 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Really ? I think when you go past our starting 11 the gulf in quality is absolutely massive?

I think it is probably the preseason mix and match which leads to this opinion. Which to be fair, in a nod to Rafa,  has been a triumph for system over personnel. But moments of magic win tight games and I agree, not confident many of our back-ups have many of those moments in them. 

Very promising first half, maybe even hour or so. Some of the moves we put together were the best football I’ve seen us play since probably the 5th placed season. Where we had a few games where we looked unplayable using the 4-3-3. 

I thought Athletic were a decent outfit and once they started making subs. We understandably looked a bit leggy and they really should have scored again. 

Botman looks really assured. Wilson looked fantastic at times. But then just totally disappeared out of the game. Willock was the same. 

I know it was a mixed lineup yesterday. But we really do need another attacking option or two. 

Either of those sides against Atalanta or Bilbao would be bottom half PL sides IMO but not relegation sides, but a combination of the two sides is easily a top 8/10 side.

What's encouraging is that with two weakened sides, we came out with two wins and two very credible performances. Which again tells me what an incredible manager we have.

Also, we have a first team that well and truly knows that Howe is not afraid of bringing in a squad player to do a job, no-one's spot on the team is guaranteed. This is great and something we've not had for a long time. 

I think the pre match music, it’s about time Sam Fender got in on the act just before kick off. Aside from being great, he’s more relevant to what the players and probably most of those attending can relate to.

That little drum fill they do with local hero just before kick off grinds my gears.

33 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I think the pre match music, it’s about time Sam Fender got in on the act just before kick off. Aside from being great, he’s more relevant to what the players and probably most of those attending can relate to.

That little drum fill they do with local hero just before kick off grinds my gears.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't be against that. The sax solo in Seventeen Going Under would be great as the players are coming out, it isn't even a million miles away from the sound of Going Home.

I'll always enjoy the Dire Straits music but fucking hell the timing of it has been a bit of a car crash the last two or three times I've  been. They had to turn it off with 20 seconds of it left yesterday. Miles away. :lol:

Feel like I'm just whinging for the sake of it but the music pre-game in general is a bit of a mess, really. The Enemy track is ear-splitting, then you've got Ramones which totally jars with that operatic piece (with unnecessary synthesized crowd noise), then you're crossing your fingers that they manage to squeeze Local Hero in before the players are stood there fed up waiting for it to finish. :lol: