Overrated players

Guest ManDoon

I'm probably going to attract some right pelters here - and it isn't the intent - but Ronaldinho firmly sits in that 'good player but not great' for me.  Flat-track bully who never grabbed hold of any 'big' games that I saw.  Genuinely world class players do - Maradona, Messi, Zidane, C Ronaldo, real Ronaldo, van Basten etc etc - had some of their best games in the biggest matches.

I'd second some of the bigger names listed here *cough Totti cough* but I think I've likely expressed an unpopular enough one!

Edited by TheBrownBottle

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Good shout. Great finisher and tailor-made for that Liverpool side, but the hype has got way too much.

155 goals and 62 assists in 249 games for Liverpool, he's world class. I try to tune out of punditry  so I've no doubt missed some overkill.

15 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'd second some of the bigger names listed here *cough Totti cough*

Just the 786 apps during a 25-year(!) career for your boyhood club scoring over 300 goals and countless assists. Led Roma to it's third Scudetto and two Italian cup trophies. Won the World Cup and lost the final of the Euros despite being chosen the MotM, in the all star team for both tournaments. 

Underrated imo.

I mean Shearer is obviously a legend at NUFC but I don’t think the word exists to describe what Totti is to historically similarly sized (or even smaller based on trophies) Roma.

Edited by Pata

I always think Perez exemplifies the harsh treatment that attacking midfielders/wingers who also can play as strikers get (another example being Rashford, poor as he’s been recently). They don’t play as out-and-out strikers and play positions not much different to wingers that won’t get near to double figures in goals, but don’t get near the same level of criticism. Pretty sure Perez has often played a very similar to role to Fraser and Almiron, who don’t get abuse despite very low goals and assists numbers. 

5 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

George Weah seemed overrated - maybe I was too young. But was he really better than Shearer in that title-winning year at Blackburn Rovers where he won Ballon D'or? (1995)

can’t have this at all. I absolutely idolized George Weah at that time, he was sensational. 

3 hours ago, Cronky said:

Good shout. Great finisher and tailor-made for that Liverpool side, but the hype has got way too much.

Any opinion that you have that isn’t utter shite? Making me yearn for Crumpy.

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'm probably going to attract some right pelters here - and it isn't the intent - but Ronaldinho firmly sits in that 'good player but not great' for me.  Flat-track bully who never grabbed hold of any 'big' games that I saw.  Genuinely world class players do - Maradona, Messi, Zidane, C Ronaldo, real Ronaldo, van Basten etc etc - had some of their best games in the biggest matches.

I'd second some of the bigger names listed here *cough Totti cough* but I think I've likely expressed an unpopular enough one!

And rightly so, because that's not true at all. That's trying to rewrite history. ;)

So from this forum we have the following overrated team:

Cech

Cole

Van Dijk

Ramos

Neville

Modric

De Bruyne

Scholes

Ronaldo

Pele

Messi

Subs:

Ederson

Xabi Alonso

Ronaldinho

Rooney

Salah

Could probably beat most teams in history to be honest. :lol:

Just now, Froggy said:

Cech

Cole

Van Dijk

Ramos

Neville

Modric

De Bruyne

Scholes

Ronaldo

Pele

Messi

Subs:

Ederson

Xabi Alonso

Ronaldinho

Rooney

Salah

I love the fact that I'm shaking my head at every one except the one I mentioned :) - eye of the beholder and all that

7 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Cech

Cole

Van Dijk

Ramos

Neville

Modric

De Bruyne

Scholes

Ronaldo

Pele

Messi

Subs:

Ederson

Xabi Alonso

Ronaldinho

Rooney

Salah

That team will do I suppose, if we have to..

44 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Cech

Cole

Van Dijk

Ramos

Neville

Modric

De Bruyne

Scholes

Ronaldo

Pele

Messi

Subs:

Ederson

Xabi Alonso

Ronaldinho

Rooney

Salah

In my defence, I only added Van Dijk because he's being called an all time great by sections of the media. He's world class, but that's still overrating him. 

8 hours ago, St. Maximin said:

I always think Perez exemplifies the harsh treatment that attacking midfielders/wingers who also can play as strikers get (another example being Rashford, poor as he’s been recently). They don’t play as out-and-out strikers and play positions not much different to wingers that won’t get near to double figures in goals, but don’t get near the same level of criticism. Pretty sure Perez has often played a very similar to role to Fraser and Almiron, who don’t get abuse despite very low goals and assists numbers. 

Personally I thought the amazing goals Perez scored papered over the cracks.

Everytime I watched him he seemed to constantly give the ball away and not do much then every so often pop up with a worldie out of nowhere. 

I know he wasn't playing in his preferred position mind.

I didn't dislike him as he worked hard etc, just think the money we got for him was amazing.

Generally most English players tend to be overrated, but that’s more hype by the media than anything else.

You could make a case for 90% of the England squad are rated more highly than they should be.

Think the only exceptions to that which immediately spring to mind are Kane and those who regularly get stick (Maguire, Sterling etc.)

10 hours ago, The Prophet said:

155 goals and 62 assists in 249 games for Liverpool, he's world class. I try to tune out of punditry  so I've no doubt missed some overkill.

Kevin Philips won the golden boot not doubting his goal scoring record but don't think his all round game is of a world class player. Often watch Liverpool and not massively Impressed by him.