General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Guest neesy111

My favourite NUFC player. The technique he’d use at set-pieces would mean they’d hit first man or be a nightmare to defend and an attacker’s dream. Was worth it.

I also loved the games where he couldn’t be arsed, was part of the enigma. There’d be games where you’d see Bernard tear arsing past him on the overlap, we’d give the ball away, and then you’d see Bernard tear arsing back past Robert to get back into position while Robert seemed in his own little world. Loved him.

And I still reckon he was aiming for Dickov when he nearly knocked Bernard’s head off. There was no other reason in the world for him to smash it that way but to do that. :lol:

Same.  Loved him.

Was far too young to appreciate this guy. My first ever shirt was a Robert 32 the summer he signed, still remember how buzzing I was wearing it to the park that day to play football. Looking back, 9 years old, had no clue who he even was, never seen him play or even if he was any good  :aww:

In an effort to spread some positivity, he's by far my favourite Newcastle player, Cabaye closely followed  :rolleyes:

Anyone in that generation above myself care to share a Laurent Robert story?  :lol:

Really should have included him knocking Bernard into the middle of next week.

When you look at that, the potential freekick takers in those squads

Robert

Solano

Shearer

Speed

Now who do we have?

Really shouldn't put myself watching these nostalgia videos

Was far too young to appreciate this guy. My first ever shirt was a Robert 32 the summer he signed, still remember how buzzing I was wearing it to the park that day to play football. Looking back, 9 years old, had no clue who he even was, never seen him play or even if he was any good  :aww:

In an effort to spread some positivity, he's by far my favourite Newcastle player, Cabaye closely followed  :rolleyes:

Anyone in that generation above myself care to share a Laurent Robert story?  :lol:

Something great about a player who just loves to fucking wallop the ball  :lol:

My favourite NUFC player. The technique he’d use at set-pieces would mean they’d hit first man or be a nightmare to defend and an attacker’s dream. Was worth it.

I also loved the games where he couldn’t be arsed, was part of the enigma. There’d be games where you’d see Bernard tear arsing past him on the overlap, we’d give the ball away, and then you’d see Bernard tear arsing back past Robert to get back into position while Robert seemed in his own little world. Loved him.

And I still reckon he was aiming for Dickov when he nearly knocked Bernard’s head off. There was no other reason in the world for him to smash it that way but to do that. :lol:

Same.  Loved him.

Yep. The way he’d hit a set-piece was so it generated pace, dip and curve bang in the middle between the 6 yard box and penalty spot. When he hit the sweet spot it was impossible to defend. If he was slightly off it’d go to the first man and they’d clear easily. Having O’Brien, Dabizas, Speed and Shearer in there we were a handful and scored a fair few from them (and Nobby at the other side who was similar in set-piece technique. A lower percentage would beat the first man than say, Cabaye with the set-penis instructions from Pardew, but I bet we scored far more as a result of it.

I remember not one but two amazing Robert goals at home to Spurs, around 2003 maybe?

Would have been around then. Remember it was in December because we had our works Xmas do at SJP that night and I just stood at the window of the room we were in just remembering what I'd witnessed down below a few hours earlier. Robert definitely makes it into my top 3 favourite NUFC players of all time. Loved watching him play and I don't think I've ever seen a NUFC player able to strike a ball as hard as he could.

Aye in terms of players with the cleanest strikes in my time, obviously you've got Shearer who probably comes above everyone, then you're looking at Robert, Martins, Hatem. Carroll arguably. Funny how they're all lefties.

Martins?

Definitely, I but I think it was more expected from him, he was such an explosive player. With Robert, the power came from seemingly nowhere! Robert is one of my favourite ever Newcastle players, for sure.

Martins?

Definitely, I but I think it was more expected from him, he was such an explosive player. With Robert, the power came from seemingly nowhere! Robert is one of my favourite ever Newcastle players, for sure.

So much this, loved him right down to his grey keks.

Remember getting so angry with people trotting out the line that he (and Bellamy) was 'a cancer' in our club.

Martins?

Aye he could strike a ball but for sheer power I'd still say Robert. Robert certainly if you were combining power/accuracy.

For sheer power, and accuracy for that matter I don't think there are many strikes out there that could top Martins against Spurs. Absolute rocket.

Not sure if I’ve asked this before but I’d love to know the conversion rate of Robert’s free kicks. I went pretty much H&A during that time and I don’t recall him missing one! Best FK taker there has been in the EPL.

Not sure if I’ve asked this before but I’d love to know the conversion rate of Robert’s free kicks. I went pretty much H&A during that time and I don’t recall him missing one! Best FK taker there has been in the EPL.

Maybe I'm confusing it with his general shooting from open play but he was massively wayward at times, like.

Maybe I'm confusing it with his general shooting from open play but he was massively wayward at times, like.

His shooting was fine. I think you are just confused :lol:

I remember that either his first 7-14 games he’d either scored or assisted majorly in a goal.

Martins?

Aye he could strike a ball but for sheer power I'd still say Robert. Robert certainly if you were combining power/accuracy.

For sheer power, and accuracy for that matter I don't think there are many strikes out there that could top Martins against Spurs. Absolute rocket.

Robert v Liverpool at Anfield was hit much harder than that. Just watched them both again on YouTube.

Not sure on free-kick %, but he has the best free-kick goals to minute ratio in the Premier League.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54773207

The conversion % ratio only started being recorded from 03/04 season so misses his first two seasons which I guess would have put him right up there on that list too.

The guy who sat in front of me at SJP back then would be going absolutely mental at Robert every game. Fuckin haaated him, never seemed to enjoy a match. Hard to imagine what he'd think of the team now.

This club in its current guise is exactly what miserable little cunts like that deserve.

The guy who sat in front of me at SJP back then would be going absolutely mental at Robert every game. Fuckin haaated him, never seemed to enjoy a match. Hard to imagine what he'd think of the team now.

I had a bust up with the bloke behind me at Derby over Robert. He spent the whole game absolutely slating him which ended up with me constantly turning round to tell him to shut the fuck up. In the 2nd half Robert then proceeded to smash in an unbelievable free kick and the cheeky cunt had the audacity to grab hold of me to celebrate.