General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Matt Richie’s pen in the 2-1 home win v Man City.

My grandad, who was more like a father, passed away at the very start of the month. I hadn’t been to a game since (I don’t think we’d won in that time at home), it snowed all morning but it was that sleety horrible stuff that just slushes everywhere up. My dad didn’t fancy it for a whole host of reason so I took his ticket (it was an evening game iirc). Aguero scored in the first minute but we were absolutely rock solid after that, a proper Rafa performance. Rondon absolutely battered their cb and got an equaliser then Longstaff nicked the ball and won a penalty. From where I was sat side on from the penalty spot it looked like he’d missed but the net and crowd eruption was enough. Everyone was diving all over each other like those mental away day videos that often do the rounds on social media. I sat in the ground for a good 15-20 minutes after the full time whistle just drinking it all in and realised it was the first time I’d smiled in at least month. Football is brilliant.

Just re-watched the highlights of that game on the BT Sport website. A million miles away from the current dross we're witness to.

I think Dabizas at Sunderland. Was desperate to see us beat the mackems, and was too young to remember any of the wins apart from the Roker one where geordies weren't allowed. So I'd been 6 derbies without a win. Then Dabizas scored that goal, right in front of the NUFC fans, and I was in the second row right behind.

For a game I wasn't at, Bellamy at Feyernord. Magical.

Shearer at mackems is up there too. But that was relief as much as anything, thought I was going to throw up as he stepped up.

Shearer’s second vs Spurs Wembley semi

Oh aye, that too. (but was Old Trafford - I was on the bouncy castle).

Cisse at Benfica was a fun more recent one, fun to be ahead in a big game at a big team in Europe again. Jenas at PSV was good too in 04 UEFA QF. Wasn't at Shearer at Inter, but imagine that'd be up there.

There's loads of random ones where hugging strangers/taking a tumble have been involved - what the kids refer to as "limbs".

A standout has to be Perez at Leicester the other year, though - the 1-0 on a Friday night. Me dad came down for it and got sent flying when it went in. In all my 32 years I've never seen such him carry such a look of confusion, fear and elation all in one go. It was hilarious.

Hard choice. A few stand out. Mcghee v Leicester in a 5-4. I think he scored a great last min winner v Bradford around the same time. There was a very late comeback v Fulham on bonfire night 1983 in our KK inspired promotion season. I think we were 2-1 down after 90 mins and won 3-2. Enjoyed an own goal by Steve Walsh at Filbert St for Leicester to win us the game when we had a very real chance of a disastrous relegation to the 3rd division. He scored at both ends. Then there's the 2nd Shearer goal at old Trafford in the semi v Spurs. I hadnt been at either the semi or final the previous season so to be there when we'd almost certainly clinched another final place was fantastic but that David Kelly winner v Portsmouth takes some beating. Sheer relief.

I think Dabizas at Sunderland. Was desperate to see us beat the mackems, and was too young to remember any of the wins apart from the Roker one where geordies weren't allowed. So I'd been 6 derbies without a win. Then Dabizas scored that goal, right in front of the NUFC fans, and I was in the second row right behind.

Shearer at mackems is up there too. But that was relief as much as anything, thought I was going to throw up as he stepped up.

Cisse at Benfica was a fun more recent one, fun to be ahead in a big game at a big team in Europe again. Jenas at PSV was good too in 04 UEFA QF. Wasn't at Shearer at Inter, but imagine that'd be up there.

I was, it was absolute mayhem.

that David Kelly winner v Portsmouth takes some beating. Sheer relief.

I can't recall seeing the Gallowgate in such a mess than after that Kelly goal. I was in the West Stand Paddock and it was chaos there too.

Maybe KK's debut goal.

The Fulham 3-2 win is a great reference. Two goals in a minute is always good but when it's after 90 minutes, even better.

I was, it was absolute mayhem.

Looked fuckin amazing, love the pics of our fans behind the goal that night.

Steven Taylor was class tbf away to Sheff United circa 2007. It was the first away game I'd saw us win ever. Was mortal, got refused entry to ground on pissed grounds but nibbled in somehow a couple of turnstiles down. My pal was well surprised when I rocked up to our seats.

Hard choice. A few stand out. Mcghee v Leicester in a 5-4. I think he scored a great last min winner v Bradford around the same time. There was a very late comeback v Fulham on bonfire night 1983 in our KK inspired promotion season. I think we were 2-1 down after 90 mins and won 3-2. Enjoyed an own goal by Steve Walsh at Filbert St for Leicester to win us the game when we had a very real chance of a disastrous relegation to the 3rd division. He scored at both ends. Then there's the 2nd Shearer goal at old Trafford in the semi v Spurs. I hadnt been at either the semi or final the previous season so to be there when we'd almost certainly clinched another final place was fantastic but that David Kelly winner v Portsmouth takes some beating. Sheer relief.

Christ, I remember that McGhee goal against Bradford so well, was just a bairn and me dad took me to Fan Barbers on Westgate Road before the match, fucker cut my ear with the clippers and it wouldn't stop bleeding, still got a scar from it! Went to the match, ear still pissing blood, terrible 0-0 game in stoppage time then McGhee took the ball from a throw in 30 yards out, turned his man, went on a run, beat another two and slid it home. Magic.

We’ve had a few epic wins against Leicester for some reason, that 5-4, the 2-1 to keep us up, the 7-1 promotion party and Shearer’s 15 minute hat trick to comeback from 3-1 down to win 4-3 before Dalglish tore that team to pieces.

Hard choice. A few stand out. Mcghee v Leicester in a 5-4. I think he scored a great last min winner v Bradford around the same time.

I used to sit with me old man and his two mates in the front row of the benches - one of them left when it was 4-2 - he refused to put the radio on in the car so walked into the house to his lass who was baffled as to why he was in so early and buzzing about the win  :lol:

Based on impact, #2 with Shearer 1st. Him and Robert took a team from midtable to the Champions League. He was dynamite for us. Didn't score enough goals and was injured too often but if you watched the games every week you knew he gave us that extra dimension nobody else could.

Shankley used to say to Keegan at Liverpool, go out there and drop a few hand grenades - that's exactly the style Bellamy had, pressing from the front and causing mayhem with his pace. Class player.

First day (obviously!) of .com's Advent Calendar - used to love this!

https://www.nufc.com/advent2020/2020-advent-01.html

Used to love Ceefax. I've told this story on here before but:

I'd just discovered Ceefax when I was young and I pressed 'HOLD'  so I could keep a track of the Newcastle score and the page wouldn't keep changing, but I didn't know that the score would not refresh. It was 4-0 at the time when I pressed HOLD and I just assumed that it stayed like that until full time so I got a massive surprise when my dad walked in after the match to tell me it had finished 8-0

Have I missed something or have we all of a sudden got a ton of fan podcasts? I keep seeing loads getting retweets on my timeline, a lot of average views getting a ton of attention from football fan simps 😂. It’s all a bit weird at the minute.