General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

2 hours ago, Anderson said:

That hall of fame seems to have wound up ManU fans, which is nice.

It's class. They're fucking raging.

Looked under the Sky Sports tweet about it and it's just all them. One suggested Ferguson should be first in and another thinks George Best [emoji38]

Shearer was Newcastle United when I was a kid. I was 5 when he signed, 15 when he retired. I grew up watching the best centre forward the Premier League's ever seen knocking them in for his hometown team, breaking both club & league goal scoring records, wouldn't swap that for any amount of trophies/titles. :smitten: 

He's the only reasonable choice for anything like this.

Anyone think Giggs would have been in were it not for his recent misdemeanours?

EDIT: A Giggs and a NPW all in one post, I'm off for a lie down and a glass of water.

Edited by Pilko
Npw

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

Anyone think Giggs would have been in were it not for his recent misdemeanours?

EDIT: A Giggs and a NPW all in one post, I'm off for a lie down and a glass of water.

100% Giggs would be there ahead of Henry at the very least if none of the recent stuff or the shagging his brother's wife had come out.

I think NUFC fans look back on a few key what ifs for where we might have won a trophy. A few games in 95/96, if we'd got a second in the FA Cup semi v Chelsea, if Woodgate wasn't injured for the Marseille UEFA semi, or if we'd just turned up and gotten lucky in the 98 or 99 finals.

Just started torturing myself with another. I know people look back on the Lisbon collapse in the UEFA QF already. But we were pretty shit that season, so I don't really think we were that close to a trophy and the collapse was a symptom of our being shit. But I was just looking at how we'd have had then had AZ and CSKA Moscow to beat to win a trophy. It just got me thinking about Bobby's sacking again. If he'd stayed on maybe we wouldn't have had a great season, maybe been outside the top 4/5, but we'd definitely have been better and sailed through the early stages of the UEFA the same. With Bobby manager you'd have to have fancied us to beat that Lisbon team then AZ and CSKA Moscow. In a way that tortures me more than the Marseille game, because we were good and well-beaten, and I wouldn't have fancied us in the final v Valencia. Just give him to the end of the season ffs, hard to imagine such a good run at a cup now as that team with Bobby, even if it. was past it's best. Just doing some wallowing. 

I watched the goals from the Marseille game the other day. Look at Vianas attempt to head the ball for their first. Ive never seen such a pathetic jump, completely bottles a challenge that doesnt even happen. I think we'd have been done by Rafa's Valencia in the final anyway. 

I think you're right about 2005. That squad under anyone but Souness should have overcome Lisbon, AZ and then CSKA. That was our best chance. What could have been. :'( 

Edited by Doctor Zaius

01/02, last few minutes of the League Cup 1/4 Final, Andy O’Brien smashes a sitter over the bar from 6 yards. Chelsea go up and score a minute later to knock us out. We’d have had mid-table Spurs in the Semis then Souness’ newly promoted Blackburn in the final. If O’Brien scores that chance we win the League Cup imo.

http://www.mychelseafc.com/chelsea_news/reports/2001-02/chelsea_1_0_newcastle.htm

Edited by Optimistic Nut

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

01/02, last few minutes of the League Cup 1/4 Final, Andy O’Brien smashes a sitter over the bar from 6 yards. Chelsea go up and score a minute later to knock us out. We’d have had mid-table Spurs in the Semis then Souness’ newly promoted Blackburn in the final. If O’Brien scores that chance we win the League Cup imo.

http://www.mychelseafc.com/chelsea_news/reports/2001-02/chelsea_1_0_newcastle.htm

:'( I'd thought of that one a bit but didn't remember the O'Brien miss.

It's an exaggeration to say we could have won the league that year if Bellamy hadn't gotten injured, but maybe we'd have had a good shot at one of the cups. We were without him for both domestic QFs - this one and the Arsenal home 1-1 in the FA Cup. Both were very tight games and he was obviously a big miss. Won either or both and we'd have been the best left in either competition (beaten Arsenal and we'd have had Middlesbrough then Chelsea).

10 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

:'( I'd thought of that one a bit but didn't remember the O'Brien miss.

It's an exaggeration to say we could have won the league that year if Bellamy hadn't gotten injured, but maybe we'd have had a good shot at one of the cups. We were without him for both domestic QFs - this one and the Arsenal home 1-1 in the FA Cup. Both were very tight games and he was obviously a big miss. Won either or both and we'd have been the best left in either competition (beaten Arsenal and we'd have had Middlesbrough then Chelsea).

Still say the best chance we had of winning a trophy was either the Man Utd hone game when we lost 1 - 0. We totally dominated the game (more than the 5 - 0 imho), but a combination of Schmichael and some really bad misses cost us. First half we should have been 3 or 4 up. Win that game (even a draw) and we go on to win the league; or the FA Cup semi final against Chelsea when we dominated again and would have faced a very average Villa in the final. 

So infuriating though that all four FA Cup finals/semis in 98/99/00/05 were when we were midtable. We were on the up in that Chelsea game but still 11th that year, we never got to go into a domestic semi/ or final as a proper good team like we were in 93-97/01-04.

If we had made into a final and lost to Villa I'd never have gotten over it :lol:

Edited by Inferior Acuña