General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

16 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Just thinking about the FA Cup with Gateshead winning. In May it’ll be the same time gap between then and our 98 Final than between the 98 and the last FA Cup final before that in 74.

Mad that the Moncur, Hibbert & Supermac era is as close to Howey, Lee & Shearer as what Lascelles, Hayden & Wilson is.

Quite a weird thought when you put it like that. 

Also, on that note, we're now on the longest streak in NUFC history of not reaching a Cup Final. From videos and photos I've seen the '74 cup final was a huge deal and that was 19 years of waiting, again the '98 cup final looked amazing (atmosphere wise) and that was then our longest streak. God knows what it'll be like when we finally reach a cup final again.

Previous streaks:

1999-2022+ (23 years and counting)

1976-1998 (22 years)

1932-1951 (19 years)

1955-1974 (19 years)

1892-1905 (13 years)

1911-1924 (13 years)

1924-1932 (8 years)

1952-1955 (3 years)

1974-1976 (2 years)

1908-1910 (2 years)

Nice research, Guv. Obviously - Ashley - but a sign of the times too, I suspect, with competitions becoming harder and harder to win (but not impossible, yet). For instance I bet there's loads of historically 'big' clubs who are also in their longest streaks, like we are. Everton, Villa, Leeds, West Ham for eg, plus of course those major forces from yesteryear who've fallen further and further away like Forest/Ipswich/your Forests/your Ipswiches. 

6 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Quite a weird thought when you put it like that. 

Also, on that note, we're now on the longest streak in NUFC history of not reaching a Cup Final. From videos and photos I've seen the '74 cup final was a huge deal and that was 19 years of waiting, again the '98 cup final looked amazing (atmosphere wise) and that was then our longest streak. God knows what it'll be like when we finally reach a cup final again.

Previous streaks:

1999-2022+ (23 years and counting)

1976-1998 (22 years)

1932-1951 (19 years)

1955-1974 (19 years)

1892-1905 (13 years)

1911-1924 (13 years)

1924-1932 (8 years)

1952-1955 (3 years)

1974-1976 (2 years)

1908-1910 (2 years)

Not asking you to check but it'll also be at least 17 years since we even reached a semi (FAC or otherwise). That must be somewhere up there too.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

38 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Not asking you to check but it'll also be at least 17 years since we even reached a semi. That must be somewhere up there too.

Absolutely pathetic when you consider clubs that have done so in recent times:

Leicester, Brighton, Wolves, Watford & Southampton reaching the FA Cup Semis (or beyond, even winning it) in the last four years.

Brentford, Leicester, Aston Villa, Burton, Bristol City reaching the League Cup semis in the last four years.

44 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Not asking you to check but it'll also be at least 17 years since we even reached a semi. That must be somewhere up there too.

FA Cup Semi and UEFA Cup Semi.

7 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Nice research, Guv. Obviously - Ashley - but a sign of the times too, I suspect, with competitions becoming harder and harder to win (but not impossible, yet). For instance I bet there's loads of historically 'big' clubs who are also in their longest streaks, like we are. Everton, Villa, Leeds, West Ham for eg, plus of course those major forces from yesteryear who've fallen further and further away like Forest/Ipswich/your Forests/your Ipswiches. 

For what it's worth, Leeds won nothing for the first 50 years of their history, so that was their longest streak without a trophy.

1 hour ago, STM said:

Dan Gosling is on GallowgateShots podcast and he says Hatem Ben Arfa is the best player he's ever played with.

God love Dan Gosling. Also doesn't like Pardew. :smitten:

It's a shame that so much of it's unwatchable because of the connection problems they have.

Edited by kisearch

I just rewatched the highlights of the 96 charity shield. I was there, and remember the occasion but not the goals. The state of the defending for the first three man :lol:

PS - bonded with a Colombian taxi driver in San Antonio tonight over love for Tino. Love that about football.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

Absolutely superb night at the Irish Centre for the tf Newcastle Foodbank night! 

Craig Hope, Keith Downie, Ciaran Kelly, George Caulkin, Simon Bird And Chris Waugh all spoke superbly! Hopey loves Bruce [emoji38]

Great gesture by Jamie Reuben 

Edited by Paully

14 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Not taking out away from Reuben, but his family matching food bank donations whilst being Tory party donors is quite ironic.

Really fancied last night but couldn’t bring myself to get tickets to listen to that prick Hurst.

Aye. If it's a cause close to your hearts stop fucking enabling it. :lol: