General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

She's OTT like but it is fair to be bemused at £55 per CL group game when Chelsea, a bigger club in London with a smaller ground by over 10,000, charge £35 per group game.

£30 per FA Cup game is bit mad as well. Same price whether we're playing Barrow or Man Utd. 

9 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Really? Talking about financial hardsuffering in the North east, after bleating that she might struggle be able to afford to go to all the cup matches this coming season?

If only some other NE families had that sort of financial worry!

Yeah really. It's pricing people out from the bottom up and it's a problem football-wide. Just because she's up a couple of notches on the food chain doesn't make it wrong or entitled like. There's always going to be someone worse off than you. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Yeah really. It's pricing people out from the bottom up and it's a problem football-wide. Just because she's up a couple of notches on the food chain doesn't make it wrong or entitled like. There's always going to be someone worse off than you. 

As someone else said, Football matches (unfortunately these days) are a luxury, and her bleating that she might not be able to go to all the matches (should we make it that far) does come across as entitled.

But worse than that, she probably fears she'll lose her superfan status if she doesn't get to them all, and might not get to hug Amanda again.

Also, I was priced out of watching Newcastle back in the 90's under Keegan and had to make a choice. Something she might have to do for this season.

Edited by TK-421

I think we're really good value for money tbh.

If you compare the cost of watching an Ashley NUFC Vs this NUFC, we're a veritable bargain.

Also £55 a ticket for CL level football is absolutely fine too. It's hardly a rip off. They could probably have charged £80 and sold out.

The 'product' on offer nowadays is fundamentally different to what people have paid for historically, so it's to be expected that will cost more.

It's probably in line with inflation if you look at CL ticket prices for our early 2000s CL games. But then they were expensive then - hence why we had a load of empty seats at the time.

I think it's on the expensive side. Don't get me wrong I've spent more than that on football tickets before - sometimes from resellers and touts - but that's when I've been on a trip to somewhere and the match is the entire reason I'm there. In that instance you don't mind the cost because it's a special occasion and you're already sinking a load for the trip anyway. Same principle for dropping £60 on a ticket for the Sam Fender gig - it's a one off big occasion for people.

I think the difference with supporting your team is that 'going to the match' is/used to be something that is/was a routine. A bit like going to church once a week. It's a commitment, and many have an expectation to be able to every match. For a lot of people that's not the case anymore and will become less and less so as ticket prices go up. When ticket prices go up to £60 a pop and beyond - it becomes the type of thing that you have to pick and choose when to go. A special occasion thing like a night out at the theatre, or going to a big concert. This brings it in line with what US sports are like. I think this can also begin to have a detrimental impact on atmosphere. Not just because of the demographics who can go - because it slides further into being a piece entertainment to be bought and those paying to be there expect value for money. That is not necessarily condusive to the best atmosphere - as is seen at many clubs.

Just because there's enough demand, and the ground will be full at X price, it doesn't make it not worth questioning and critiquing the price point.

Edited by ponsaelius

6 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

As someone else said, Football matches (unfortunately these days) are a luxury, and her bleating that she might not be able to go to all the matches (should we make it that far) does coem across as entitled.

But worse than that, she probably fears she'll lose her superfan status if she doesn't get to them all, and might not get to hug Amanda again.

A student working part-time on minimum wage doesn't strike me as coming from an entitled place like, but admittedly I don't know much about her.

We all bemoan modern football and how expensive it is so It would be class if we were collectively like 'yeah you're right that's too expensive for everyone, charge us all less' instead of turning on each other (I mean it's Twitter, so hardly surprising like)

If it carries on this way, the demographic of people that are able to go to matches will change. It's exactly why Man City's CL attendances were shit and lacking atmosphere for a long time.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Luckily enough I'm in a position where I can afford most if not all matches, went to every home match in all comps last season and did 3 away games. But that pricing is a tad bit steep when factoring in that this is the biggest football club in the least affluent area of the country.

May be wrong, hope I'm wrong, but all the to and fro-ing about these prices all over social media doesn't bode well for the future if they get scandalous. Liverpool fans walked out of a league game on a particular minute back in 2016 in protest of price hikes where general admission tickets would be £77. Given all the 'if you can't afford it don't go' and 'we could charge more and still sell out' stuff I've seen I've got 0 optimism we'd ever do similar in remotely similar circumstances. 

19 minutes ago, NWMag said:

what does she expect, the club to reduce ticket prices to an affordable level of the lowest income of our fan base? 

Personally I think every football club should do that as far as they possibly can. 

I don’t know if it’s just me but I would be more surprised if someone working part time on minimum wage could afford to go to every game, rather than not being able to go to every game. 

If you’re earning around £200 per week I would assume that you couldn’t afford to go to every game

3 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Personally I think every football club should do that as far as they possibly can. 

In an ideal world I would agree, but in the age of FFP increasing our revenue streams is extremely important

Don't care for her attitude there to be honest.

Three CL tickets in my seat was a weeks wage in 02/03, factor in travel to Turin and Barcelona was the best part of a months wage.

Its hardly a disgrace.

Its always been that way.

So someone else can go instead. Think that's quite good actually. Keegan used to like it when people didn't take up their option for cup tickets and it allowed people who couldn't get in to go, take the kids and stuff. Cant argue with that bloke.

2002 I was at uni working part-time in a Little Chef on about £3.80 an hour. Couldn't dream of getting a season ticket but saved to go to 4-5 league games a season and was lucky enough to get to the Juventus, Inter & Barca home games. Tickets were around the £30 mark then from memory which on £3.80 an hour and a student loan was probably more expensive than on today's minimum wage. 

I didn't complain, it was what it was and I still loved supporting NUFC.

There's a breed of fan the last 10 years or so who latched on under Ashley paying a pittance in PL terms to go through the motions and watch us not even try. 

These people have been privileged as fuck to be in the driving seat to ride the 'new' Newcastle United and have a head start in terms of season tickets, loyalty points, when there's thousands upon thousands who walked away out of principal who'd jump at the chance to go back but have been blocked due to availability. The amount of people I see on FB, Instagram, etc who I went to school with, worked with, who didn't give a fuck about Newcastle until the last 5-10 years because it was cheap and filled those seats supporting Ashley and mediocrity. 

Hopefully the tide turns back over the next few years. Of course there'll be people who.used to go who will be genuinely priced out which is unfortunate, but that's happening in every walk of life. I just spent £300 to take dad to see Eric fucking Clapton for his 70th next year for example. It's in every entertainment industry.

If you enjoy football and feel NUFC is too expensive, you've got Hebburn, North Shields, Gateshead, etc who I'm sure would be honoured to take the money to stay alive. Won't look as good on social media though. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

8 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Almost goes without saying really. 

The main irony for me is that as money in football has ballooned as it has become an entertainment industry (particularly through TV and commercial revenue) it is actually perfectly possible for all PL clubs to sell matchday tickets at a reasonable price. They don't even need the money - but do so to keep up with the joneses on fees/wages and to squeeze everything for what it's worth.

Conversely if you are going to watch lower league or non league football that money actually is needed to keep those clubs going. Like it was for top flight clubs in the 80s. Yet many actually begrudge the cost of football at that level more than they do in the PL.

Edited by ponsaelius

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

A student working part-time on minimum wage doesn't strike me as coming from an entitled place like, but admittedly I don't know much about her.

We all bemoan modern football and how expensive it is so It would be class if we were collectively like 'yeah you're right that's too expensive for everyone, charge us all less' instead of turning on each other (I mean it's Twitter, so hardly surprising like)

If it carries on this way, the demographic of people that are able to go to matches will change. It's exactly why Man City's CL attendances were shit and lacking atmosphere for a long time.

It's not entitled, but as someone that works a moderately well-paid full-time job I wouldn't expect to be able to afford every game in three cup runs in the same season. 

When I was a student under Ashley in the Championship I think I made it to three or four home games and one away and that felt like a lot. I don't anticipate the club's every move to be cheered through the door, but when you consider who we might get in the Champions League you do have to attach some degree of premium to it. 

If she's still stuck, might I suggest tweeting about how great Fun88 have been for Fan Engagement and sticking with us during the bad times. 

8 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Don't care for her attitude there to be honest.

Three CL tickets in my seat was a weeks wage in 02/03, factor in travel to Turin and Barcelona was the best part of a months wage.

Its hardly a disgrace.

Its always been that way.

So someone else can go instead. Think that's quite good actually. Keegan used to like it when people didn't take up their option for cup tickets and it allowed people who couldn't get in to go, take the kids and stuff. Cant argue with that bloke.

Couldn't you just as easily argue that it's been a disgrace for a long time? I was one of those kids that got to go to cup games under Keegan, but they were like £10 or £20

Edited by Kid Icarus

Premier League clubs could let everyone in for free and they'd still be able to outspend almost every other club in Europe. 

The world is completely backwards when we baulk not at a player getting £150k a week but at the price of tickets being upped to pay for it.

13 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Obviously agree with this sentiment but I think "I'm a student and can't afford to go to every single game what a disgrace" isn't a helpful starting position in the very valid conversation about what football costs to the average person. 

8 minutes ago, Viana said:

It's not entitled, but as someone that works a moderately well-paid full-time job I wouldn't expect to be able to afford every game in three cup runs in the same season. 

When I was a student under Ashley in the Championship I think I made it to three or four home games and one away and that felt like a lot. I don't anticipate the club's every move to be cheered through the door, but when you consider who we might get in the Champions League you do have to attach some degree of premium to it. 

If she's still stuck, might I suggest tweeting about how great Fun88 have been for Fan Engagement and sticking with us during the bad times. 

I get what you're saying, I just think the solution there is that you could have afforded to go to more matches rather than she shouldn't because you couldn't, if that makes sense. 

I think both opinions are allowed here.

The tickets ARE expensive but if you can’t afford to go, then it seems you can’t go.

I personally think this is an own goal from the club. Category A tickets against Man City, Arsenal etc were £41 last season. I think an increase of 34% is a lot for a game that could be against an inferior opponent in Pot 3 such as Salzburg. Just because it’s branded as the UCL doesn’t mean the match is going to be any better. 

Edited by TheGuv

When she got in with Wraith she started a whole campaign against fans who left after Rafa left and fans who couldn’t afford to go to games or keep season tickets. She was alright until she started saying that she was a better fan.

It was alright when she was replacing the lasses on Wraiths podcasts after he started attacking them because they distanced their involvement with his involvement with Tommy Robinson, and mammy & daddy could afford her season tickets.

Now she’s no longer able to get in on a child’s ticket, mammy & daddy can no longer afford to send her to every game, and she’s expecting sympathy off the very people she stepped over to get her picture taken with Staveley on takeover day. She can learn and grow up as far as I’m concerned.

For the record, the club gives both Newcastle & Northumbria University unions tickets to sell at a discounted rate for it’s students.

Edited by Stifler

1 hour ago, SteV said:

You any further forward with alternative offers?

Still toing and froing with various departments getting very ambiguous answers.

I'm just trying my damnedest atm to explore every avenue possible.

They aren't being very forthcoming thus far[emoji38]

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't really get the problem with what she's said, it might be expected but it is expensive like.

It’s expensive but it’s hardly a disgrace is it? That’s the going rate