Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

If he's taking this route then surely HE is responsible to pay up HIS remaining contract.  We then inform Man Utd we still require recompense.  Win win for us.  Bring it on.

Just now, Geogaddi said:

I don't understand on what grounds he even has to take this to court ?

Presumably the same grounds that some restrictive covenants can be challenged, even if they are in a contract. 

@Heron

Next season, when we play Man United at home, can we get a massive banner saying 

"Loyalty is earned" with a big banner of whoever our new Sporting Director is.

1 minute ago, Skeletor said:

Maybe we should have offered Brighton £200k and then made him go to the CAS whilst bashing Brighton in the media.

Why are you responding to a point I was making with a completely different one? :)

Nothing to do with compensation. He could have just wanted to stay and have a long term project with us/Brighton. That clearly wasn't his priority and he'd rather climb up to what he sees as the bigger clubs. 

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Chemical Jim must be skint. Maybe he has finally decided to pay taxes or something so he’s short of a few quid. 

It's a good start. Maybe we won't overpay for absolutely anyone now. Woodward would have given you £20m + Mainoo. 

22 minutes ago, Froggy said:

They're dying to get out of that club. Somethings not right. Worrying. 

Ratcliffe definetly has some images of Ashworth that he doesn't want to have leaked. The only explanation.

Edited by Erikse

18 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I mean, unless there is more to this. Like we don’t have anything in his contract regarding compo. Which I highly doubt.
Then I’m not really sure what he’s hoping to gain?

Pay the money that has been asked for and they can have him. Is it an unreasonable amount to ask for? Did he sign the contract and not check the small print or something? Surely it must be listed somewhere for this exact reason? 

20m would be a world record fee for a nonplaying executive, including fees paid for football managers. That's what will be the main topic in court, is Newcastle demand unrealistic? 

14 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

I don't understand on what grounds he even has to take this to court ?

He isn't taking it to court, this is arbitration

If we don't want to we can refuse to engage in the process and at that stage he can take the matter to court but it is likely to be a drawn out process I'm not sure it's worth it

His best bet is to get on the phone to ratty and convince him to stop undervaluing him and up his offer 

Just now, vidooq said:

20m would be a world record fee for a nonplaying executive, including fees paid for football managers. That's what will be the main topic in court, is Newcastle demand unrealistic? 

Apparently he's the best in the business though, according to Ratcliffe. So a world record fee sounds about right.

On 19/12/2023 at 17:10, Kid Icarus said:

It has that 'if you start out a relationship by cheating with a cheater and then they cheat, you can't be surprised' feel about it. 

Rings true again. Lie with dogs and you'll get fleas. Applies to other areas of the club too. 

9 minutes ago, vidooq said:

I don't know his contract but the fact it's gone on this long suggests he's stuck with us until the end date. 

Whether what we are asking for to mutually agree to end the contract early is realistic or not I don't think is relevant. 

11 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

If we don't want to we can refuse to engage in the process and at that stage he can take the matter to court but it is likely to be a drawn out process I'm not sure it's worth it

His best bet is to get on the phone to ratty and convince him to stop undervaluing him and up his offer 

I was about to post this, if we are going in to arbitration it will be voluntary on our part, with both parties agreeing to abide by the outcome.

This isn’t about agreeing a fee either, as if our position is that we believe he has to remain on gardening leave as per his contract, then it is extremely unlikely that an arbitrator will go against employment law, unless they consider the covenants to be unreasonable.

Notice that Man Utd are not involved in this, so it will be Ashworth arguing his release.

Edited by Matt1892

11 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

That’s correct, you don’t have to agree to arbitration. If they want to take the legal route thats what Employment Tribunals are for……could be a lengthy process though.

29 minutes ago, vidooq said:

Didn't know that you can challenge an unrealistic evaluation like this. Man Utd wanted £15m from us to get Lingard on loan. Could we have made legal challenges over it? Lingard himself was quite upset over that.

Edited by Erikse