Nick Pope

Rich

Just now, David Edgar said:

No it isn't.  It is a tool which can be used in conjunction with other things.

Darlow was good in the games he played in 2021.  People are blind to that.

And wasn’t De Gea having a bit of a stinking patch?

2 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Good might be stretching it like. He made some showreel saves, but he waved quite a few in. Never seen a keeper play for us with so little knowledge of where his near post was.

22 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

LUKE EDWARDS IS ALWAYS SO WRONG.

Decent signing tbf. Only disappointment I would have with this is if we lost Dubravka. Those two fighting for #1 spot would be more than good enough.

Darlow and Gillespie in the bin.

Are you this pedantic in real life? You're always so ostentatious. :lol: 

I can't stand Edwards, but we all know he has reliable sources when he's actually put forth journalistic effort rather than being a complete melt. 

3 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Trust me - nothing good comes from darlo, I’m from there.

33 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

LUKE EDWARDS IS ALWAYS SO WRONG.

Decent signing tbf. Only disappointment I would have with this is if we lost Dubravka. Those two fighting for #1 spot would be more than good enough.

Darlow and Gillespie in the bin.

I mean, he usually is like.

It’s difficult to compare from separate boxes in that stats graph (ie. De Gea to Darlow).

You could argue quality of the shots faced on the ‘quiet’ side would be from higher quality opposition who manage to break down a superior defence and therefore more difficult to save.

Then again you could just as easily say the shots faced on the ‘busy’ side would be more clear cut due to an inferior defence and therefore more difficult to save.

Statistics, eh?

Just to come full circle I think a direct comparison between Dubravka and Pope holds some merit as they’ve played in comparable teams. 

18 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

I can't stand Edwards, but we all know he has reliable sources when he's actually put forth journalistic effort rather than being a complete melt. 

I think you’re being very generous about the level of insight on here.

22 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

It’s difficult to compare from separate boxes in that stats graph (ie. De Gea to Darlow).

You could argue quality of the shots faced on the ‘quiet’ side would be from higher quality opposition who manage to break down a superior defence and therefore more difficult to save.

Then again you could just as easily say the shots faced on the ‘busy’ side would be more clear cut due to an inferior defence and therefore more difficult to save.

Statistics, eh?

Just to come full circle I think a direct comparison between Dubravka and Pope holds some merit as they’ve played in comparable teams. 

Comparable teams?

I’ll have you know we finished above Crystal Palace 

38 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

If you want to gauge his reliability on transfers, check out some of his stories from January. Scatter-gun would be a generous appraisal.

No worse than some of the less antagonist bunch like.

Very happy with this. Pope really deserved a better club than Burnley for a long time and can develop a lot with us and we are also better with him. Another English international on our books, is it real life? :)

8 minutes ago, papo said:

Very happy with this. Pope really deserved a better club than Burnley for a long time and can develop a lot with us and we are also better with him. Another English international on our books, is it real life? :)

232178F1-D9A4-4236-9459-330167C4E838.jpeg.4fe890f9386debaed0d2c7221871dd09.jpeg

Looking on a Burnley forum, which is always a great way of judging a potential signing, they seem to think he was one of the best keepers they have ever had and are disappointed at the fee.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Looking on a Burnley forum, which is always a great way of judging a potential signing, they seem to think he was one of the best keepers they have ever had and are disappointed at the fee.

May say more about the keepers that they've had more than does it about Pope like. 

(I do think Pope is canny BTW) 

Another solid and relatively cheap signing who'll come in and provide competition at the very least for Dubravka. Can't see too much difference between them ability wise personally but it all but eliminates the likes of Darlow playing and costing points. Need to give them both a few games in preseason the Howe's got to make his mind up and stick to it. Solid keeper in goal regardless of who it is, think maybe Pope is marginally better but the competition should raise the level of both of them in theory. 

14 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Why are the fees so different, seen 10 and 30 million quotes?

Last year of his contract and they're desperate for cash. I'd wager the £8-10m numbers are true.

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think it’s fair to compare to Darlow as that’s the drop in quality we’re no longer going to have. 

The quote was dropped in the middle of a conversation about who should start.